righting a dropped FJR? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Like previously mentioned there are plenty of videos online. It does require a little bit of strength but having the correct technique makes it a **** of a lot easier.

Face away from the bike and back into it. Your legs should be doing most of the work as your ass is making contact.

With that said, when I dropped mine I was with friends so we just muscled her up. I'm sure a Harley or Wing, despite weighing more is easier to pick up due to a lower center of gravity.

2015 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar500 View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to right an FJR by oneself? I'm not a big guy, 5'11'' 140 lbs.
With the proper technique, it can be put upright by one person easily. Be aware that dropping a Gen3 will likely break the aluminum mainstay inside the top cowling, which is an expensive part and a pain to replace, besides the other scratches. Don't ask me how I know both.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
With the proper technique, it can be put upright by one person easily. Be aware that dropping a Gen3 will likely break the aluminum mainstay inside the top cowling, which is an expensive part and a pain to replace, besides the other scratches. Don't ask me how I know both.

What is the aluminum mainstay inside the top cowling? I'm asking for a friend who may have just dropped his 2015 FJR....

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
---20 Year Gap For Kids---
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, All these videos show a person lifting a BMW Boxer, a Goldwing, or a ST1300, all of which are resting at an angle of nearly 45 degrees because of all the large bits sticking out the side. Try an FJR1300 which is resting at an angle of 190 degrees, because you usually drop it on a down slope, because your leg is too short to reach the ground when you stop. I can guarantee that a guy like the OP, 5'11'' 140 lbs, has no hope of picking that bike up, no matter what technique he uses.

I have picked up my FJR by myself several times over the years, but I weigh close to 190 pounds, and have weight trained all my life, and even so, I have nearly busted a gut every time. Now that I am 69 years old, I wouldn't even try, that is one of the reasons why I sold my FJR and bought a lighter Super Tenere.
FjrjrF and Mopheadama like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansmank View Post
What is the aluminum mainstay inside the top cowling? I'm asking for a friend who may have just dropped his 2015 FJR....
Did you drop it off at the bank? Post Office? I mean.....er..... your friend. It's there behind the cowling, just take off the windshield, the windshield bracket, then the black nose of the cowling with the two screws when you look up the nose. Take that off and look where the mirrors are attached to it if it is cracked.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Just to be clear, the method in the videos is not as easy as it looks if the bike is flat on its side like a dead horse. Ask me how I know. In December my Superduke GT fell over at a gas station at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. Nobody else around. That bike weighs about 150 lbs less than the FJR and I could not budge it literally at all. The bike is very narrow and was flat on its side.

Also, if you are alone, don't forget that once you get it upright, you then have to figure out how to turn around and put the bike back on its stand without it falling over the other direction. Every bike I've ever had fall over had fallen to the kickstand side because the kickstand was not fully engaged (if at all).

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 05-24-2019 at 08:58 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansmank View Post
Ask your friend to grab the mirror and see if it flops around where it meets the cowling.. oh wait, don't grab it too hard, that is what breaks the paper thin aluminum stay.. if it was broken in a fall, it might be obvious. You can remove the instrument panel trim and look at it on either side where it supports the mirrors... that ear breaks and can be epoxied as a repair.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Small woman are picking up Harleys and Gold Wings 300 lbs heavier than our FJRs. Can do with the right technique.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Small woman are picking up Harleys and Gold Wings 300 lbs heavier than our FJRs. Can do with the right technique.
First if all, don't confuse small with leg strength. Second, as has been mentioned, center of gravity and how far over the bike lays on its side are major factors. In fact, per my post above, a small lady did get my KTM up using the method as I instructed her to. But she offered to help me with it and she told me she was pretty strong for her size.

The point is that not everyone is going to be able to do it even using that technique. I could not. Admittedly I had open heart surgery four months before and was not at full strength. But it just shows that you do have to have some level of strength that not everyone is going to have.
Bernie likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar500 View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to right an FJR by oneself? I'm not a big guy, 5'11'' 140 lbs.
First of all, get some GOOD crash bars!!!! That is the VERY FIRST thing you add....period. And have them installed BEFORE you ride out of the dealership! Now that we have that understanding, let's go to the HOW TO part of the discussion.

Blah Blah blah..."small woman picking up a Harley"........THIS is a magic trick mostly. Harleys and Goldwings(the pre 2018s) have great crashbars, so the bike doesn't fall over all the way. You CAN get leverage on these fallen bikes. In fact, a SMALLER(read shorter) woman has a better chance of righting that bike than a 6"2" man....reason, woman get down lower and get more leverage than a 6' 2" man can. I'm 6' 2" and when I get down that low with my long legs bent more than 45degrees, I can barely stand back up, much less try lifting a bike up.

There is another way though. Look up a technique called the MEYER LIFT on YouTube. He is an ARUBA motorcycle cop that invented this lift. He stands forward, not backward, and doesn't have his butt against the seat. He stands facing the bike with the handlebars turned and PUSHES against the bike with the handlebars using his weight and arms for leverage. No back muscles are used at all. Easy Peasy!

Last edited by GOV5; 05-25-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page