• 1 Post By JohnC
  • 3 Post By doc
  • 2 Post By N4HHE
  • 1 Post By rogerf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Re-torque wheel nuts after 100km

today I got new tires (Dunlop Roadsmart3) installed on my FJR at the local dealer, and I am wondering why is that the Bike shop doesn't think it is necessary to re-torque and/or check bike wheel nuts and pinch bolts after approx 100km. Every time I get wheels re-installed on my cars the shop will always ask me to come back after 100km to re-torque and check the wheel nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 AM
FJR Top Gun

Well, when changing tires I've never found my FJR bolts to be anything other than where I left them last time I changed tires. If it bothers you then learning to check the bolts yourself would be a good start toward a motorcycle rider's education. Don't worry about the exact torque, just worry whether the fasteners are loose. Is easy to get some too tight such as the pinch bolts.

Lugnuts/lug bolts on cars are loaded differently. Exposed to heating/cooling cycles from the brakes which motorcycles do not.
JohnC, FjrjrF and Damir like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If it makesyou feel better, learn to check them yourself. Unless you live right next door to your shop, you can check them quicker yourself than taking the bike into the shop. .
N4HHE likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:34 AM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Wheel studs/nuts on vehicles are also used to transfer positive and negative acceleration forces to/from the wheel to/from the hub - very very different to the forces applied to the wheel and axle retention mechanism on an FJR.
philharmonic, rogerf and FjrjrF like this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Wheel studs/nuts on vehicles are also used to transfer positive and negative acceleration forces to/from the wheel to/from the hub - very very different to the forces applied to the wheel and axle retention mechanism on an FJR.
Yes, the motorcycle axle carries the load, the nut and pinch bolts only serve to keep the axle in place, doesn't carry the vehicle's load. Unlike an automobile the threads do not directly carry the vehicle's load.

For example on the front the left axle bolt only serves to snug the bearings. The pinch bolts grip the axle and serve to maintain spacing between the fork legs. Arguably, this bolt does almost nothing once the pinch bolts are tightened.

On the rear the axle nut primarily serves to snug the bearings and keep wheel in contact with drive gears. The pinch bolt on the right serves much the same as pinch bolts on front, keeps the swingarm spacing. On both ends there is about 1/8" wiggle room the right fork or right swingarm could be clamped.
Mr_Ed and Damir like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
If it makesyou feel better, learn to check them yourself. Unless you live right next door to your shop, you can check them quicker yourself than taking the bike into the shop. .
I know how to use mu wrenches Thank you, just wondering why different requirements for bikes
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

There are specially two things which makes them very different.

1. The bolt on a bike (FJR) is mouted in a fork, where the bolt is only keeping things togehter and take some share load. On a car (as mentioned above) the bolts might see additional load during acceleration and braking, at least if they are not correctly and equally tightened. To ensure they are equally, I always tighten the bolts in a cross pattern x 3 times. Many workshops does it only one time, and tightening one bolt reduces the torque on the bolt next to it.

2. The second thing and the most important is the lenght of the bolts. The long bolts on a bike are streched a lot more than the short bolts on a car, which will prevent the nut from coming loose. This is a very important thing, and to acheive sufficient tension, this is why using the correct tigthening torque for these bolts is so important. I know many dont't, but I use a torque wrench to make no mistake. Short bolts torque is also important, but due to the short stretch, they are a lot more exposeed to come loose because of pulsing load and viberations.

They simply cannot be compared.

/rogerf
Damir likes this.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 05-24-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page