Matte Finish - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

more info on matte paint care from Dr Beasley's;

Dish soap is formulated to do one thing, and that thing is to strip grease and grime off of hard surfaces (ie. plates, glass, etc.). As you know, you can most certainly protect matte paint using specially formulated liquid matte paint sealant using dish soap to clean the bike or car will weaken the bond of any sealant or substance on the painted surface of your bike or car. So in a sense it may not do damage to the paint, but its certainly doing more than just cleaning it. Furthermore most dish washing soap contains moisturizing lotions and silicone which will over time cause blotchy spots on matte finishes. Do yourself (and your matte finish) a favor and get a no-shine matte car wash soap that uses no fillers, no silicone, and wont strip your matte paint of its layer of protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 AM
FJR Top Gun

I don't have the matte finish but do have a long synthetic bristle brush purchased from Walmart about 20 years ago, nominally for cleaning car wheels. This brush continues to amaze me at what it can remove without applying pressure. Am guessing it would be good on the matte finish but I'm not going to trade my 2016 just to find out.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I use to use a product called "Wizards matte paint detailer". It worked great. Basically does the same for matte finish as Yamalube does for normal finish.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm still looking for evidence of neglected matte motorcycle paint. Hose and soapy bucket is all you need.
Myfjr, the Ferret and drduct like this.

2011 FJR1300A
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I'm still looking for evidence of neglected matte motorcycle paint. Hose and soapy bucket is all you need.
I know that and you know that. Others are convinced its voodoo magic cursed.
the Ferret likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wash the bike with Dawn Dish soap to remove any oils/wax. Finish it off with with a nano-sealant like Hydrosilex, F11 or equivalent. That's how I do the matt trim on the bike. Works great. Bugs and grime wash right off without any scrubbing (scrubbing is not good for matt finishes and once damaged I do not know how to fix this).
drduct likes this.

My first car was a motorcycle.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I saw this info about matte paint... this led me to Doctor Beasleys products..

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Matte_Paint_Care.pdf

and if Hyundai can't be trusted (haha) ....

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/2...hCareGuide.pdf
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman1950 View Post
I saw this info about matte paint... this led me to Doctor Beasleys products..

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Matte_Paint_Care.pdf

and if Hyundai can't be trusted (haha) ....

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/2...hCareGuide.pdf

Great instructions to care about your Matte vehicle, Yamaha should definitely include a similar instruction procedure with all their vehicles.
After carefully reading these cleaning procedures, it is clear that "matte paint finishes" are VERY VERY sensitive to scratches, and they should be cleaned with special care, similarly to when cleaning helmet visors and pinlock lenses, windshield, headlight lenses and all other plastics. Basically pre-soaking and soaking, and soaking again, using "Matte" specific products and mild solvents. There is a line in theses instructions where they say; "dry towel will damage matte finish"...wow ! what about my riding pants? they will for sure damage my paint on the long run

Personally I wish I had a choice to buy my new FJR in a "regular" metallic + clear coated paint (preferably '14 red ) instead of my Matte silver. According to some sources Yamaha decided to use Matte paint to further cut cost on FJR and other bike models.

A couple of days ago I attended the Yamaha Demo ride here in Calgary, and in their fleet of many demo motorcycles, they had a 2019 matte blue FJR. All I can say is that, this blue FJR had "the worst wear and tear" terribly scratched in critical areas, it almost looked like somebody used 80 grid sandpaper to clean the bike Most other demo bikes with "regular metallic clear coated paint" looked way better then the poor matte FJR. ("Yamaha PLEASE we want metallic paint back )
rockman1950 likes this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

That Hyundai link says it is ok to use tar remover. I would have thought tar remover would be a pretty aggressive solvent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page