Helmets or no helmet - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Helmets or no helmet

A friend of mine has a Kawasaki ZX14r and does not ride with a helmet. In Wisconsin not required to wear one. Majority of Harley riders do not wear one but I see more wearing one now. My question is do you wear one or go without?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Duh!
Gary B. and Sete Bond like this.
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What he said.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:55 PM
FJR Top Gun

As long as your friend is not in my insurance pool...
Sete Bond likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Always.... CA's helmet law was enacted in Jan. of '91... but I always wore one and continue to do so.. really can't imagine not wearing one.
Heard this saying one time: "if you don't think you need a helmet, you might be right!"... something like that. I'm a firm believer in them but if not required by law, go for it if that's what makes you happy. My in-laws live in Iowa and one summer we were there and a MC rider went by on the freeway, no helmet, no gear, t-shirt flapping in the wind... my boys yelled "Hey, Dad! That guy's not wearing a helmet"! They'd never seen that before having only lived in CA so I explained to them that in Iowa there was no helmet law and riders could decide whether or not they wore one.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Sete Bond likes this.
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Another, "Duh!"

If my bike leaves the driveway, I am in full gear even in the north Texas summer when 95 - 100F temps are not unusual. The only compromise I make is textile mesh instead of leather.
Barry58, N4HHE and Sete Bond like this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Helmet ! I'm an ATGATT person, but I'll try to not be preachy. If you have something worth protecting, protect it. Each of us gets to decide if our head is worth protecting.

When in those "no helmet required" places, we get to choose. At least make a thoughtful, informed choice. None of us is in absolute control of our riding environment - bad drivers, wildlife, road hazards, etc., etc. are all beyond our control - it's risk management.

Beyond that, I think I have a responsibility to those who care about me, to be as safe as I can when I'm riding. Rider courses are one aspect of meeting that responsibility, ATGATT is another. But that's just me.
Barry58 likes this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:58 AM
doc
Farkle Trainee

I hope the ones who ride without helmets are on the organ donor register

Cheers,

Anthony
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

First- please exercise some self control. Stating what you do and the reasons for what you do is great. But once this thread turns ugly, or the first time anyone calls someone stupid or the like, this thread will disappear.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I grew up riding in the dirt with a helmet. My state requires a helmet. Even when I was in the military & stationed in a helmet optional state the chief-of-das-boot frowned upon going helmetless- back then the rules were way more relaxed than now. And honestly, it just felt weird. But that was 35 yrs ago and I often go back to that state's coast (South Carolina) to visit friends and eat and relax. Normally I wear my helmet, getting sandblasted ain't for me. But if we get up early and decide to go out for breakfast and no one is out yet, I'll go helmetless. I find it quite refreshing putzing along at 35 mph for a few miles. It's like...... when you're in shorts and a T and just washed the bike, you hope on and jet down & back to blow the water off. Go someplace like Key West where motor cars are a nuisance. Rent a scooter, leave the ATTGAT behind, put on your shorts & T & sneakers, turn your ball cap around & go explore the island. Great fun!!

All that said, in some circumstances I choose to go helmetless. On the highway? Normal riding even through congested metro areas? Certainly not. But I understand those that choose to do so and choose to be open-minded about their decision to do so.

Russ
2007A

post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 AM
FJR Top Gun

My .02,

I will defend your “right” to go helmetless no matter what, it is your Mellon ! I do think it is foolish to do so but it is your right! Too many people try to force their opinions on others these days. But my opinion is that your “rights” stop at my toes! Enough preaching !

Me, I usually always wear a helmet unless I go w/o after washing the bike to blow the water out like Russ. But quite frankly between the watery eye’s and roaring in my ears it’s really not a pleasent experience, add-in bugs, birds (yes i’ve taken one in the face) sand & rain it’s way more comfy with the helmet on.

Add in that my brother died as a result of a bike accident where he did have a clam shell 1/2 helmet on which he hit a rock with and saved his noggin only to be killed in the hospital by a negligent nurse, I wear my full face modular helmet. Period ! My right !
Barry58 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in