Helmets or no helmet - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer_frank View Post
On top of the safety aspect, it's also a comfort thing. Quieter (don't forget the ear plugs!), protects you from rocks and bugs (June bugs are tastier at 70mph). Keeps rain from stinging your face if you get caught in bad weather. I can list off a lot of pros for wearing a helmet, can't really think of any cons.
How bout helmet hair. I hate that

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

I won't go without it. Get a good one that fits and is comfortable and wearing it all the time will be an easier choice.
I hit my head on the pavement once, not 2 miles from the house and was dang glad I had it on. It took a big hit on the side. Hate to know how my head and ear would've looked without it. A couple of cracked ribs was bad enough.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 33750 miles and counting
post #33 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

When you've been around awhile, you see lots of curious things. With respect to MC helmets, I recall:

1. I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the sixties. Colorado didn't have a helmet (or anything) law for riding motorcycles at the time. But the Army did. One of the guys in my Company had a Honda Dream for commuting to off-base housing (he was married). The Army was fine with him using a "steel pot" helmet for riding. These were crappy things with feeble latch/chin straps that would pop off your head with the least provocation. I hated them for any use, never mind this.

2. Later on Colorado had an early helmet law with no stipulation as to what constitutes a "helmet". A construction-worker helmet would get you by.

3. Later in Colorado, they repealed the helmet law for those over 18. But you could be dunned for not wearing eye protection.

4. In New Jersey in the '70's you had to take your bike through those safety inspection stations. They'd check, among other things, your headlight alignment (a questionable exercise with the headlight mounted on the forks/handlebars) and inspect your helmet for make/model - in those days the DOT sticker might not be on a helmet you'd buy. (I actually did fail once for headlight alignment. I went to the back of the line and through again and passed.)

5. Once, while riding the Clinton-Mukilteo Ferry (Washington State), I overheard a fellow biker (A Harley Rider) regaling a non-biker passenger with the dangers of riding with a helmet. Among these was an assertion that wearing one in extremely hot weather, like in Arizona, your head would overheat and your brain would sort of - explode.

The differences in State laws I can see as an annoyance for those who live in States that allow "au natureil" heads while riding who have to carry a helmet when traveling into/through States that do not. Fortunately for them they can make the political statement of wearing those tiny cranium buckets when necessary.
cra-z1 likes this.

Last edited by Rich Doyle; 03-31-2019 at 10:53 AM.

post #34 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
I guess you could carry a comb with you? I think our bikes have enough luggage to manage that. From time to time I get a pretty good case of helmet beard. I just laugh about it a bit, i'm not to concerned what other people thing. Certainly not enough to ride with out a helmet. If i'm going to work and need to straighten it out, a little bit of water and running my fingers through it will generally be enough to straighten things out to a presentable level.

2004 FJR1300
2003 Triumph Speed 4
2002 SV650 (track bike)
1974 honda CL360
1972 yamaha R5 (long term custom project)
post #35 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Obviously not for everyone but a Wahl hair clipper with the #1 guard solves the helmet hair problem

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #36 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
The trouble with having a country broken up into 50 states is each entity thinks they have to re-invent the wheel which imo is one colossal waste of time and energy and not at all efficient. These various helmet laws are but one small example of this kind of inefficient thinking.

It makes no sense to burden tax payers with the responsibility of caring for some brain dead moron that decided to be cool and ride a motorcycle without a helmet be it in Wisconsin or wherever.

Don't mean to sound like I'm just on a rant but this is something I've been thinking about for a long time.
I've ridden for many, many years and have never ridden without a helmet. I have not ridden without a full face helmet since my early days of riding.

BUT, the argument that people who don't should not be a burden to others really does not make as much sense as it sounds on paper. Where would that end? At what point does society say riding motorycycles in general fits that same logic? Or any other "stupid" things that people do that can result in serious harm? Why don't snow skiers have to wear a helmet? That's how Sonny Bono died.
Sach7581 and D-Dub like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #37 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
Obviously not for everyone but a Wahl hair clipper with the #1 guard solves the helmet hair problem
I have been thinking about that, it would be much cooler. The truth is as I get older I really dont care to much on how I look when removing my helmet

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #38 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I have been thinking about that, it would be much cooler. The truth is as I get older I really dont care to much on how I look when removing my helmet
To provoke you further, unless you truly enjoy the conversation of your barber or barberess(?), you can pay for the Wahl hair kit by missing one trip to them... A year or two later when your significant other gripes about you spending money on something....throw the $20 a month you've been not spending for hair care out there It seems to work here, lol.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #39 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
.....some brain dead moron....
This is EXACTLY what you were asked not to do. Please edit your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
First- please exercise some self control. Stating what you do and the reasons for what you do is great. But once this thread turns ugly, or the first time anyone calls someone stupid or the like, this thread will disappear.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Reading Richís comments above reminded me of just before they repealed the helmet law here in Indiana where the anti-helmet guyísfound a loop hole that allowed them to strap a helmet on their elbow or knee and be legal, I always found it humorous to see the HD crowd riding around that way. As iíve said before, I donít agree with not wearing one but will defend your right not too if thatís what you want. Too many people feel they have the right to tell others what to do when they should be more concerned with an individuals rights, read the constitution some time and take some time and read the founding fathers interpretations and most would be shocked.

Basically it boils down to an individualís rights are all encompassing so long as they donít encroach on anotherís at all, period!

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page