What is it about the Gen II? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

What is it about the Gen II?

Well that didn't take long, 10 weeks and I miss my FJR already.

But I don't miss the FJR I sold (2016A) as much as I miss my older FJR (a 2010 model). My 2016 felt almost too nice, it didn't feel mechanical or raw at all. I guess I'm just old school because I don't see all this new technology (aside from ABS) as a benefit. It seems to remove me from the motorcycling experience.

Am I insane to be looking at a 2007AE right now? I always thought the Gen II's were one of the best looking bikes ever made and the price you can get one for these days is pretty awesome.
relhok, Hankerin, JamesW and 1 others like this.

2011 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My spin.. rode my '07 for 7 years, loved it. '06 & '07 had lean surge issues and Power Commander and G2 throttle tube made it much better. G2 not totally necessary but if I had an AE, I'd put one on also. Gen2 '08 & up had better FI programming and if I were buying an AE or any Gen2 now, I'd go that way. I think the Gen3 throttle by wire is better yet, and my bias, but the 5 speed is perfect. I don't want a 6 speed or ES. I'd buy a '13-'15 if going Gen3. If Yamaha had brought the European Gene AS here, I'd have bought one, but very happy with my '14.
Barry58, Little Joe and 2GENAE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I, on the other hand, do not miss dinking around with the carburetors on my GPz750. Plus, I am getting a little old to spend more than a couple hours at a time riding it. And I love the FJR cruise control.
Barry58 likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
My spin.. rode my '07 for 7 years, loved it. '06 & '07 had lean surge issues and Power Commander and G2 throttle tube made it much better. G2 not totally necessary but if I had an AE, I'd put one on also. Gen2 '08 & up had better FI programming and if I were buying an AE or any Gen2 now, I'd go that way. I think the Gen3 throttle by wire is better yet, and my bias, but the 5 speed is perfect. I don't want a 6 speed or ES. I'd buy a '13-'15 if going Gen3. If Yamaha had brought the European Gene AS here, I'd have bought one, but very happy with my '14.
I read that about the throttle issues too. Not interested in too many mods although I bet Ivan's flash will fix all of it when he's done. Thanks I'll look into the 2010 and 2011 since I loved the silver.
Barry58 likes this.

2011 FJR1300A
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

This is why ive kept my gen 1 - honestly, i love its still a little raw and i could not find anything i liked better re the newer bikes. Hey i even prefer the clocks on my gen 1.

Dont get me wrong the newer FJR's are better in many ways and i would never knock the newer FJR's but let's put it this way, my newest bike ive bought is a gen 1 4xv R1 with carbs and i love it and working on it to get it back to minter.

Going forwards ive come to an end with, im looking back now and we have seen some great bikes come and go all fun to ride.

Mind you that triple 900 tracer looks a brilliant bike
RaYzerman likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Well that didn't take long, 10 weeks and I miss my FJR already.

But I don't miss the FJR I sold (2016A) as much as I miss my older FJR (a 2010 model). My 2016 felt almost too nice, it didn't feel mechanical or raw at all. I guess I'm just old school because I don't see all this new technology (aside from ABS) as a benefit. It seems to remove me from the motorcycling experience.

Am I insane to be looking at a 2007AE right now? I always thought the Gen II's were one of the best looking bikes ever made and the price you can get one for these days is pretty awesome.
I agree. I too think the gen2 bikes beat the looks of the gen3 bikes in every way. I also think the gen3 bike was cheapened up in many ways. The front side panels are but one example and I could go on from there.

Now, not to get too far off topic but my much older than me neighbor has a 2015 1300A with only about 3K miles that he doesn't ride because it's too heavy for him and I think he would sell it for around 8.5 -9.0K anybody know anybody that might be interested? I'll pass it on.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:28 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
This is why ive kept my gen 1 - honestly, i love its still a little raw and i could not find anything i liked better re the newer bikes. Hey i even prefer the clocks on my gen 1.

Dont get me wrong the newer FJR's are better in many ways and i would never knock the newer FJR's but let's put it this way, my newest bike ive bought is a gen 1 4xv R1 with carbs and i love it and working on it to get it back to minter.

Going forwards ive come to an end with, im looking back now and we have seen some great bikes come and go all fun to ride.

Mind you that triple 900 tracer looks a brilliant bike [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
Agreed that Tracer 900 and GT version look pretty sharp, but I can't help but think that engine is too small, especially if you're over 200 pounds. Not to mention the MSRP on the bike.

Most reviews say that engine has plenty of grunt and character, but still...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I rode my buddies 2011 which was fantastic and led to my 2014a, didn’t want all the geegaws of the Es, more stuff to f-up as they say,,,, but after my 86 gl1200 sei cruise control was a must. The 6spd is appealing to reduce the 4-4500rpm buzz that they all have but not enough to lose my fastest color red ���� !

How’s that ? Ditch, my opinion is that you should get the newest gen 2 you can, if that’s what you want, they made a lot of significant improvements regarding the throttle and heat control. My friends 2011 was quite enjoyable and great looking.

Welcome back !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

AE you say? My 08 AE sure makes me smile. Do miss being able to pull the clutch in to blip the throttle once in a while
2GENAE likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

I love my Gen II(200. I can completely relate to what you're saying. My last sportbike was also a 2008 (R1). It had no traction control, ABS, electronic suspension, etc. It was a great bike to ride, much like my 2008 FJR. It's a visceral experience, I love the "mechanical" feeling of it. I much prefer it to many of the newer, more "modern" bikes I've ridden.
Polar likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mad German; 01-17-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page