What is it about the Gen II? - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
I kinda find this post odd, because you say ' My 2016 felt almost too nice, it didn't feel mechanical or raw at all. I guess I'm just old school because I don't see all this new technology (aside from ABS) as a benefit. It seems to remove me from the motorcycling experience'............and then you look at an auto shift, which is about as new tech as you could get on a bike. I own an AE so I'm not saying a bad choice, but still.
Interesting perspective, and I'm inclined to agree with you. You're are only one minor failure away from getting completely stranded on the AE. My reasoning was due to the second gear dogs rounding on my 2010, had to sell it for half it's value and nearly soured me away from FJR's all together. I figure it's from less than perfect shifting and the AE shifts it perfectly every time. I do not entirely trust Yamaha transmissions, and I'm not the only one. Just how I feel.

2011 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Afternoon Russ, I agree 2000% with everything you said. I was looking at an after market cruise control system the other day but can't remember the brand name but I think it is Australian in origin. I especially liked the control module and how it mounts on either handlebar nice and compact and just looks like OEM. Cost is around $350 which makes it way cheaper than a new FJR.

I absolutely love my '10 1300A and I wouldn't think of trading for new. I just like the later gen2 bikes very much. I have mounted a gen3 center stand and a new gen3 rear shock. These are two gen3 improvements that work well and were worth the cost. I thought about the slipper clutch with the softer pull but I'm not particularly bothered by the gen2 clutch so to heck with it. There is only one reason Yamaha has gone from powder coated wheels to painted and that is cost reduction and not for the consumer. Same goes for making only one front fork adjustable. I also like it that I can sync my throttle bodies off idle and you can't do that with a gen3. Again, cost cuts for more profit. Oh, and I don't need any special shop equipment to check diagnostics on my bike but you will on your gen3. Anyway, I'm in complete agreement with you especially where the gimmicks are concerned and I include electronic suspension in the gimmick department. You want gimmicks? Have a look at the new BMWs. No thanks, not only no but **** no!

There, I feel better having said all that.
To be fair you're getting some nice upgrades to offset that cost cutting plus the R&D to develop it. We're seeing cost cutting on pretty much everything these days, even the premium KTM's and Ducati's it's pathetic.

It's an unstoppable trend. Pay more get less, gonna have to get used to it unfortunately.

2011 FJR1300A
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ditch,
Have to agree for the most part on the 2nd gear issues, seems that Yamaha has had 2nd gear issues for as long as I’ve been riding, doesn’t seem to matter which bike it is as the 2nd gear appears to be a weak link across the board for Yamaha. No “power shifts” for my fJR. Big reason I bought new instead of used, didn’t want someone else’s tranny abuse. My opinion.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I am new to the group, just picked up a 2009 with 19K miles. I'm 67 and have been riding a long time with a lot of different bikes but I sure like this FJR. Does everything I want it to without breaking the bank.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bryant View Post
I am new to the group, just picked up a 2009 with 19K miles. I'm 67 and have been riding a long time with a lot of different bikes but I sure like this FJR. Does everything I want it to without breaking the bank.
Welcome! I'm in Asheboro, we have a few around from Charlotte to Raleigh. Did some day trips last year, pictures of them and future plans will always be posted in the MEETINGS & EVENTS- US AND CANADA section for everyone to see. Keep an eye over there, come warmer weather we'll (hopefully) be out & about some.
Don Bryant likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bryant View Post
Welcome Aboard! The FJR is a great bike, and as russ said above we have a pretty fair representation here in NC and do a Lucnh and eat and group rides from time to time.. never crowded. Hopefully once it starts warming up we can do it again!
I ride year round from 35 degrees on up, so im always up for company.
Don Bryant likes this.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Looking at this one, and the possibility of having to ship one. I've shopped enough bikes to know it can take up to a year for the right one to come along locally.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Yamaha...:rk:4:razz:f:1

2011 FJR1300A
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

I thought you wanted an AE ?? here https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...0AE-5004605889
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Completely agree with the sentiment, “what is it about the GenII”. IMO, my 2008AE is the bike that completely changed my perspective on long distance sport touring. Having ridden various other sport tour bikes, the combination of the engine, shift mechanism, gear ratio and seat makes it a hard bike to beat for me.

I’ve looked and the GenIII many times and almost pulled the trigger on a few, but common sense steps in and I walk away. I feel like I would give up more to upgrade than I would ever gain. Gonna need to see a new updated electronics package and a new AE or DCT before I will buy a new FJR. Until then, I’ll keep buying GenII AEs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 FJR1300AE
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
This past summer I found myself in extreme temperatures like one day 104F and the next day a bit warmer at 106F. I just about cooked from the waist down and then I remembered reading in the 2010 owners manual about opening the side panel louvers if extra cooling is desired.
My owners manual just says "for added ventilation to suit the riding conditions".

But I am certainly going to try opening them his summer when it gets hot. Up till now I only opened them in the dead of winter to keep the cold air off my knees.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page