What is it about the Gen II? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
The only thing I wish I had was a true cruise control but two different throttle locks serve their purposes. I've used the word before to describe Gen3- gimmicky. 6 gears, slipper clutch, cornering lights, ES- all gimmicks I don't want and certainly don't want to pay for. ABS sure, I like it but my jury is still out on traction control. Then toss in all the added stuff: gps(s), radar detector, camera(s), SPOT, phone/tablet, Sena/Cardo, etc. Most of the time I just think, "geez, maybe you should just take your car."

I agree with Ditch- all the electronical crap makes me feel removed from motorcycling. Heck, it's been only 2 yrs since I set up a phone mount and I still have to force myself to use it.
After my '09 AE sensor failure, which interfered with my cross country trip I had planned ahead 6 for months, I sold it an bought a new '16 FJR1300A. Everything about it is better than the '09. The slipper clutch is great in traffic. The 6th gear offers a more relaxed engine pace at 85 mph+. The cruise control is a game changer. The LED lights are awesome. Even the suspension feels better which is surprising since I dropped $2500 on a Penske shock and HyperPro progressive fork springs/revalving on the AE to cure its sloppy handling. I never noticed the electronic aids. But I probably would if my life suddenly became dependent upon them.

My first car was a motorcycle.

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 01-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Afternoon Russ, I agree 2000% with everything you said. I was looking at an after market cruise control system the other day but can't remember the brand name but I think it is Australian in origin. I especially liked the control module and how it mounts on either handlebar nice and compact and just looks like OEM. Cost is around $350 which makes it way cheaper than a new FJR.

I absolutely love my '10 1300A and I wouldn't think of trading for new. I just like the later gen2 bikes very much. I have mounted a gen3 center stand and a new gen3 rear shock. These are two gen3 improvements that work well and were worth the cost. I thought about the slipper clutch with the softer pull but I'm not particularly bothered by the gen2 clutch so to heck with it. There is only one reason Yamaha has gone from powder coated wheels to painted and that is cost reduction and not for the consumer. Same goes for making only one front fork adjustable. I also like it that I can sync my throttle bodies off idle and you can't do that with a gen3. Again, cost cuts for more profit. Oh, and I don't need any special shop equipment to check diagnostics on my bike but you will on your gen3. Anyway, I'm in complete agreement with you especially where the gimmicks are concerned and I include electronic suspension in the gimmick department. You want gimmicks? Have a look at the new BMWs. No thanks, not only no but **** no!

There, I feel better having said all that.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
it is most certainly amazing how much depreciation there is on these bikes. Like you said, Gen II can be picked up for a song and a dance, even with low miles.
I really like my 09, BUT I sure wish I had cruise control. And I actually like the LED turn signal look/location on the newer models. BUT other than that, I wouldn't change a thing on my 09, which, for me, makes upgrading/updating to a newer model a very hard pill to swallow.
I would highly suggest the McCruise cruise control for your 09. Yes they are pricey but the provided wiring harness is worth the cost of admission and you will not find better how to instructions for ANYTHING sold on this planet. If you hit a snag send them an email and they respond very promptly. Just have to remember they are in Australia. You won't regret spending the coin. Just bought one for my ST1300 and it was a little over $800 with shipping included.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I will say that I like my 2014a model gen 3 , but i’ll add that I would like to have the 6thhear and the led’s, the slipper clutch on the several gen 3.5’s that i’ve ridden really don’t seem all that much easier to me. Keeping all the pivots cleaned and lubed I think is more important.

The abs is a huge safety deal for me as a good friend was killed on his royal venture and probably would have lived had he had abs braking but panicked and hi-sided the bike on top of himself. Traction control is an easy software deal once the abs valving is in place. Being in the oe brake business for almost 30yrs I was not a big abs fan until my friend’s passing hit home.

The thoughts of upgrading for me from the gen3 to a gen 3.5 boils down to not willing to spend the money for the updates, I have the cruise on my 14 which was a must have when I bought it, but quite frankly if I did go to a gen 3.5 it would still be an “a” model because the Es model is just more gimmicks to go wrong, particularly when you keep bikes as long as I do. I figure i’ll be pushing dirt before this 14a is worn out.

The one thing that I wish my 14a had was the ability to actually do a real throttle body linkage balance instead of the air bleed thing that the gen3’s have. But truthfully I have checked the balance up to 5k rpm’s and found it pretty good to that point, not much to be had there, so maybe Yamaha got it right.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 01-20-2019 at 11:03 AM.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
My spin.. rode my '07 for 7 years, loved it. '06 & '07 had lean surge issues and Power Commander and G2 throttle tube made it much better. G2 not totally necessary but if I had an AE, I'd put one on also. Gen2 '08 & up had better FI programming and if I were buying an AE or any Gen2 now, I'd go that way. I think the Gen3 throttle by wire is better yet, and my bias, but the 5 speed is perfect. I don't want a 6 speed or ES. I'd buy a '13-'15 if going Gen3. If Yamaha had brought the European Gene AS here, I'd have bought one, but very happy with my '14.
I have now had/have a 2006 and 2017 FJR. The guy I ride with has had three - one a 2014 if I'm not mistaken. That means I've ridden every iteration I think. One of the advantages to the new six speed models is how well they shift, and even the clutch action is the best of any motorcycle I've ever owned - going back to 1971! His 2016 and my 2017 are far and away the best shifting bikes we have ever ridden. And throttle action is, as you say, excellent with the ride by wire.

But to be sure, my 2006 was one of my all time favorite bikes as well.
FjrjrF likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-20-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have seen a few too many "six speed trouble shifting or downshifting" to make me feel it's a real advantage. My friends who have 6 speeds tell me they are shifting a lot more, so I still think the best 5 speed there is, is the best for canyon carving. I don't do much slab, so probably wouldn't use 6th a lot.
The slipper clutch can be done as a retrofit to any FJR for ~$350-400. Or put a Gen1 or Gen3 clutch slave on for a lighter pull on a Gen2.
It all boils down to what do you want to spend, what you use the bike for and how long will you keep it. There isn't really a wrong answer, they're all good.
bounce and JamesW like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

This past summer I found myself in extreme temperatures like one day 104F and the next day a bit warmer at 106F. I just about cooked from the waist down and then I remembered reading in the 2010 owners manual about opening the side panel louvers if extra cooling is desired. I thought the manual was referring to cooling a hot motor. Then after opening the louvers I found out the reference to cooling means rider cooling. After opening the louvers I was only hot from the knees down which was a great improvement. I notice on the gen3 the painted and hinged side panel louvers are gone replaced by small slide in place unpainted black plastic panels. To me this is another example of how Yamaha has cut production costs on the gen3 bikes. This mod also didn't do much for the appearance of the FJR, imo.

I'm not at all sure I would be interested in ever replacing my great looking gen2 with anything in the way of an FJR after the 2012 model year. It kind of sort of looks to me like Yamaha is maybe about to end FJR production anyway so I won't have to worry about it.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 01-20-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On my 2014a I changed the oe shift lever thatís on the engine case to one from a 2014 r1 which is much short and quickens the shift action. For me it was a very noticeable improvement over the stock setup. Using the yamalube 15w-50 synthetics really helps improve the shift action as well. My 2014a is probably the best shifting bike transmission iíve everexperienced.

On the 6 spd tranny I really donít understand why they didnít just make the 6th gear a true od instead of shuffling all the gear ratioís around. May have to do with fitting 6lbs of do-do into a 5lb transmission case, dunno. Either way, not enough to entice me to trade/sell my beautiful red bike in. Maybe a 1500cc triple with a 6spd in some kind of gloss paint with a real seat would get me there,,,, probably not !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Some people were asking for a 6 speed and others were warning that it could mean more rowing to get down the road. Yamaha listened to the requests. Warnings came true. Be careful what you wish for.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gear ratio chart for reference...... Gen 2 vs. Gen 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR Gearing 06_16_rpm.jpg (99.7 KB, 18 views)
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page