What is it about the Gen II? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Just joined, howdy all! Picked up a gorgeous 2006 FJR 1300AE with the auto clutch last week. Quite the machine!!! Love my XSR900 but needed something for the highway. Like this GenII machine very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
Andy Horka likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys, won't be away for long. Fortunately I've had a an AE, a 2010, a 2014 and a 2016 so at least I don't have to test ride anything!

2011 FJR1300A

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Horka View Post
Just joined, howdy all! Picked up a gorgeous 2006 FJR 1300AE with the auto clutch last week. Quite the machine!!! Love my XSR900 but needed something for the highway. Like this GenII machine very much!
Howdy. Welcome.

Suggest you add your location and bike to your profile. You can go to the "UserCP" to add the details.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 01-17-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I can agree on the look of the Gen II. I did buy a 14 for the cruise mostly. It had the ES and I have grown to really enjoy it. The wind protection was better on the Gen II. Had the 08 with Cee Bailey 2 + 2 and it was perfect. 14 with Cee Bailey 2 + 2 not as good but mucho better than stock.
Still go back and look at the 08 pictures of old blackie and just really miss that black bike. When I saw the 14 in person I did fall for the red. Had only seen pictures and to this day have not seen a picture that shows the actual red of the bike. Have to see it in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR pics 001.jpg (269.4 KB, 33 views)
2GENAE likes this.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

I kinda find this post odd, because you say ' My 2016 felt almost too nice, it didn't feel mechanical or raw at all. I guess I'm just old school because I don't see all this new technology (aside from ABS) as a benefit. It seems to remove me from the motorcycling experience'............and then you look at an auto shift, which is about as new tech as you could get on a bike. I own an AE so I'm not saying a bad choice, but still.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I also have a new '19 YXZ 1000R SS SE taking up my time. It uses Yamaha's Y-CCS technology as well as my '07 FJR AE. I'm in paddle-shifting bliss...
2GENAE likes this.

DAN THE PARTS MAN
2007 FJR1300AE
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Well that didn't take long, 10 weeks and I miss my FJR already.

But I don't miss the FJR I sold (2016A) as much as I miss my older FJR (a 2010 model). My 2016 felt almost too nice, it didn't feel mechanical or raw at all. I guess I'm just old school because I don't see all this new technology (aside from ABS) as a benefit. It seems to remove me from the motorcycling experience.

Am I insane to be looking at a 2007AE right now? I always thought the Gen II's were one of the best looking bikes ever made and the price you can get one for these days is pretty awesome.
Yes you are insane. With the AE you are one sensor away from the bike making you walk a long distance. There is no mechanical backup to the electronic shifters. Plus you will have clutch chatter issues and you will learn how to perform a clutch soak.

My first car was a motorcycle.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

it is most certainly amazing how much depreciation there is on these bikes. Like you said, Gen II can be picked up for a song and a dance, even with low miles.
I really like my 09, BUT I sure wish I had cruise control. And I actually like the LED turn signal look/location on the newer models. BUT other than that, I wouldn't change a thing on my 09, which, for me, makes upgrading/updating to a newer model a very hard pill to swallow.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 33750 miles and counting
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only thing I wish I had was a true cruise control but two different throttle locks serve their purposes. I've used the word before to describe Gen3- gimmicky. 6 gears, slipper clutch, cornering lights, ES- all gimmicks I don't want and certainly don't want to pay for. ABS sure, I like it but my jury is still out on traction control. Then toss in all the added stuff: gps(s), radar detector, camera(s), SPOT, phone/tablet, Sena/Cardo, etc. Most of the time I just think, "geez, maybe you should just take your car."

I agree with Ditch- all the electronical crap makes me feel removed from motorcycling. Heck, it's been only 2 yrs since I set up a phone mount and I still have to force myself to use it.
Gitbox and JamesW like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page