FJR 1300 V. Connie C14 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

FJR 1300 V. Connie C14

I am looking at a new bike to replace my 2012 Ducati Multistrada.

What I LOVE about the Multi:
- Power: the 1200 has it, in abundance, and wherever you need it
- Handling: when you throw it into a corner, it goes exactly where you want it to go
- Ergos: I am 6' with a 32.5" inseam and I can ride the bike all day long
- Styling: let's face it, the Italians can make a paper clip sexy
- In the world of Sport-touring, it is firmly on the SPORT side, which is where want to be

However:
- Reliability: for a relatively new bike, it's not been reliable. I kind of expected minor problems too pop up. (but not larger ones like blown fork seals).
- Cost: this is NOT a cheap bike when it comes too upkeep
- Accessibility: it is also not easy to get my fat American sausage fingers in to do my own work; I don't do that a lot, but something simple like an oil change should be DIY, no?
- Chain maintenance: certainly at a point where I would prefer a shaft, but I recognize there is a weight trade off
- Wind protection: seriously, how can they not have this sorted. The buffeting and noise at 80+ mph is awful, in spite of numerous adjustments and screens.

I am curious, especially from those who have owned both a Connie and FJR:
- Why did you choose the FJR?
- Particular joys or regrets?
- Things you wish you'd known?
- Pricing OTD? Are these bikes that move off the floor? Likelihood of getting a deal? I have seen 2015 FJR 1300A's on sale, but 6th gear and ES has an appeal?

Appreciate your thoughtful input - THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have no experience with the Connie, but I purchased a new 2014 Multi S, And then a new 2015 FJR1300A. I still have them both. I purchased the FJR because I wanted something decent enough for two up, but still sporty enough for solo rides. I feel that the FJR fit the bill in my case, and that it was a great choice.
Some thoughts:
The Multi has been somewhat of a pia in regard to reliability as expected.
The Yamaha has been faultless, as expected.
The FJR is ok performance wise, and I bought it for two up so it's certainly not an issue, but it's no match for the Multi.
I have the electronic suspension on the Duc. I do not have it on the FJR, and have never missed it. I also only have five gears. I would much rather six, but the '16 was new when I bought, and therefore would have been a significant increase in price. I'm content to have chosen the '15.
I'm glad to have the FJR as it lets me enjoy rides with my wife. I'm glad to have the Duc as it's easily the most enjoyable bike that I have ever owned.

Really imo they could not be more different. I got both at great prices as leftovers.

2015 FJR1300A
2014 Ducati MultiStrada
2006 Ducati S2R1000 Monster
post #3 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I looked at the MultiStrada as well as the Concours before settling on a 17 ES..
Maintenance costs and reliability questions of the Duke compared to the FJR which was several thousand dollars cheaper and reliability far above the Duke settled it for me..

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder

post #4 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Why not look at the Yamaha Super Tenere? It has all the benefits of the Multistrada and the FJR combined in one bike. Not quite as powerful as either bike, but never the less, it is still a very powerful and fast bike.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #5 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

sorry, you asked to hear from someone who owns both fjr and connie, I never had a new style connie. I did try one before the fjr, and had a heck of a time getting on and off the connie so that was what sealed the deal, but that is probably a me problem rather than the bike itself. Also, for me, the connie needs premium fuel, and valve adjustments are apparently needed more frequently, at a greater cost. To each their own tho. There are previous threads on this btw if you feel like searching.
post #6 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I owned a Connie a while back. Sold it and rode a Harley for about 4 years. Just sold the Harley and bought an FJR. I'm still pretty early on the FJR, but here's what I can tell you. Both the C14 and FJR are perfect sport touring platforms to tweak your ergonomics into something perfect for you. The performance of both bikes is phenomenal. I expect maintenance costs of both to be similar.

The KEY difference for me is that the FJR has cruise control. Otherwise I might've bought another Concours.

2017 FR 1300ES!
post #7 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

As far as I know Ducati has fixed problems you mentioned on their 2015 and up models. I own an FJR for about 8000 miles and it is a great bike, but probably little too much if you are riding alone. The Multi is great alone or two up.
I personally like the Concours after 2015 models better but at the time I couldn't afford one so I got the FJR.

I test rode the 2017 Multi in August and there is no comparison. The Ducati is a better bike especially when it comes to sports riding. But I always had sport bikes and I personally like that.

Ducati is your HOT Victoria Secret model that complains quite often but when you look at her you forget everything immediately and you can't wait to ride her (meaning your bike of course).

FJR and Connie is your good looking lady that never complains nags ets and is always happy and ready to go where you want to go.

Good Luck.
BigDog09, passx and Mike FJR like this.

Why do we ride? Nothing is more satisfying than entering a corner on the right line in the right gear and at the right speed. That takes full concentration, and that's what I love about riding.
Since 2010 I had:2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900;2014 Honda CB 500R;2011 Honda CBR600RR;2003 Honda VTX 1800;
2014 Triumph Daytona 675R;2011 Ducati Streetfighter 848;2014 Honda CBR1000RR;2010 Honda VFR1200; I currently have a 2015 BMW S1000R and a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300. And yes I am a bike *****
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

If for no other reason, side by side the FJR is FAR more SLEEK & SEXY....
BigDog09 likes this.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
post #9 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

I had a 2006 FJR that I put 44,000 miles on and a 2010 C14 that I put 33,000 miles on. The guy I ride with every week is now on his third FJR and also had a 2010 C14. Ill share my opinion and he feels pretty much the same way (which is why he has owned two FJRs after the C14).

They are both good bikes and very solid and reliable. We are both always looking for out next bike (we both own three) and always wanting more. We both ride fast and fairly hard, we have both been riding for the better part of 50 years.

When the C14 came out there was a promiseof near ZX-14 performance in a sport tourer. We liked that it had newer features such as Tire pressure monitor and a few other minor things. What we found is that the straight line performance is nearly identical to the FJR but the FJR has better low and midrange torque. They both handle well, but with some differences. The FJR seemed slightly more nimble, the C14 held a line a little better. The FJR had a better ride, the C14 a little stiffer (keep in mind that was 12 years ago. The new FJR has a much different suspension at least the ES).

The ergos were the big difference. Aim 59 on a food day with a 30 inch inseam. The C14 sat too high for me. I compensated with a low Sargent seat, but the low version has thin padding so on long trips I had a gel sheepskin cover. But the reality is that neither one of us truly bonded with the C14s. On the other hand, the FJRs we always felt at home on. For the past six years my touring bike has been a BMW 1600 GT. But every time I ride my friends FJR I immediately feel right at home on it.

Like I said, both the C14 and FJR are good bikes. You have to decide which one speaks to you. But with all the features on the ES FJR, I cannot imagine bipuying a C14 over it.
Bill Lumberg, passx and TexTed like this.
post #10 of 181 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Well, I just discovered I cannot edit the typing mistakes I made in the post above. Sorry!
Marcoa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page