FJR 1300 V. Connie C14 - Page 17 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Anyone able to make a comparison on how much heat you feel on your legs? Doesn't sound like an issue on either bike but I'm curious, my FJR got pretty toasty in traffic above 95f

2011 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

This is probably a bit like a religious discussion. Comes down to your build and which one feels more comfortable to you. I went with Yamaha because it fit my frame and I knew it had reliability. It will ride a bit different than your Multistrada, but you will get use to it and this will be more sporty. I have a coworker who is much taller than me (I am less than 6 feet) and he is more comfortable on his Connie. He has over 120k miles on his 2012 Connie and still going strong, so both bikes are very reliable. I also liked the bar adjustments of the FJR over the Connie.

Ride both and then decide. You will enjoy once you decide.

Current: 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Rosie
Former: 1979 Honda CB750, 1994 Honda Magna, 1995 Honda Magna, 1982 Honda CBX, 1997 Honda Magna, 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 - Gutnis
post #163 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

BTW, here is a ride comparison of the FJR vs. Honda ST vs. Connie (all 2013 model year)

Current: 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Rosie
Former: 1979 Honda CB750, 1994 Honda Magna, 1995 Honda Magna, 1982 Honda CBX, 1997 Honda Magna, 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 - Gutnis

post #164 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Anyone able to make a comparison on how much heat you feel on your legs? Doesn't sound like an issue on either bike but I'm curious, my FJR got pretty toasty in traffic above 95f

IMHO the FJR heat management is only an issue if wearing street clothes in stop-and-go traffic in the heat of the summer. Where I mostly ride, there's usually about a month of 100º+ days in the summer. ALL bikes are hot during the summer.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #165 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Training wheels fitted!

FJR vs. Connie - From a C14 Owner

FJR owners;

I ridden an FJR and owned two Connies '13 and now a 12. I looked at the FJR pretty hard before buying the first Connie. I like the looks and the electronics package that it offers in the newest/newer models, however, the cost set me back a bit. What did it for me was riding my Son's '15 C14 in the Eddie Lawson Green which is really beautiful, but not my color choice. I am 5'-9", 150 lbs dry. The C14 fit my criteria for a large but not huge bike, and I assume the FJR would have done so just as well. My requirements were, in no particular order;
1) more than fast enough to get into and out of trouble, with a solid motor history, both offer this. I don't care much which bike is faster because it is the rider not the bike that define this metric.
2) comfortable on longer rides (perhaps with seat mods), I never ride two up so this did not register on my list.
3) enough aftermarket farkles and such to keep my bank account drained if I wanted to indulge, I cannot recall how many farkles I have indulged in...
4) solid footprint on the pavement and handling that works well, meaning not twitchy, not lethargic. The C14 works great with Michelin Road 4GTs or Road 5s.
5) reasonable gas mileage, but who buys these machines for efficiency beyond a certain point? I tend to average 40-41 in town and 46 on the open road at 80MPH, 90 seems to be the sweet spot for wind comfort, smoothness and all around high speed, low drag straight highway riding,
6) good carrying capacity and storage, I like to carry enough e-supplies in case I or another rider may need something, the Connie has a 22 lb. per saddle bag limit, about 12 lbs. in the top case.
7) a bike I could pick up when, not if I tip it over which I did 5 minutes after I left the dealer with my '13 dam-it...and yes I can pick it up.
good coverage from the fairing while not looking like I have a billboard in front of me and aftermarket screens to fit my size, with or course electrical lift,
a large and supportive riders group which both platforms offer in abundance.

I have farkled both Connies, starting with flashing the ECU. On the C14 I noted that slow speed maneuvering like in parking lots it felt a bit jerky and was not confidence inspiring; the flash fixed that, removed the top speed limit (now 173) increased HP and torque by about 5HP and 8lbs/ft. respectively and in general enhances the performance through the RPM range.
Went to a Cee Bailey screen which I found works best for me, unfortunately they stopped making them- another curse word.
Modified the seat to resemble the Kawasaki touring seat which lowers the seat height about 1.5" without it diminishing comfort,
added Denali DM "conspicuity" lights in front, and HIDs to replace the regular headlights, and added switchbacks for front and back, all of which were great upgrades, and on and on with other stuff to make it my own bike and am very, very happy with it.

Many C14 drivers would like to see Kawasaki update the platform with cruise; I went with a Kaoko throttle lock and have been very satisfied with it. Less to mess with and fail on the road. Personally, I would like to see a modernized instrument package with a TFT like display on the FJR and the new H2 platform. Kawasaki tried (feebly) to market the H2 SE as the new Connie but we know better. I went to a Delkevic slip on carbon fiber exhaust which is so much lighter than the stock exhaust, and sounds nice to me. I prefer quiet bikes which can sound good when opened up, the Delk does this well. Some drivers spend $2K to upgrade the suspension with Traxxion Dynamics forks and a Penske shock but I can't see the cost benefit given my weight and riding style, which is smooth rapid progress through the city, we do not have lane splitting in WA but can ride any HOV lanes. If anyone reading this has been to Lolo Pass through Montana and knows that road, the Connie carved it up very nicely, easily holding the lines at 80-90 plus without any issues. If you have not been there, it is 99 miles of high speed sweepers going up and over the pass at ~5000 ft. I rode the '12 from SEA to LA and back last summer with no issues, 100+ degree heat, and down to the high 20s over the passes with no issues. The faring keeps me dry and warm, I note that when it is raining and I don't have wet weather gear on, only my knees get a bit wet, everything else stays dry behind the fairing and screen unless of course I am stopped at a light. Heated grips are the bomb, how did we live with out them?

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Both bikes IMO have weathered the years with good forward styling, standing the test of time. My buddy is looking at an '09 FJR this AM, so it is on my mind. He is about 5'-7" and is concerned about foot placement on pavement so we will see how it fits him. The FJR looks a lot narrower than the C14 and is actually a bit longer so Yamaha did a good job of making it look smaller somehow.

That's it for my longish response to the question, hope it helps. BTW my C14 is called Fat Ninja.

Safe Riding!

Gilbysan
Chicago_FJR and Sete Bond like this.
post #166 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Regarding heat, as mentioned before, I've had a 2006 FJR that I put 44,000 miles on, and now have over 4,000 on my not quite three month old 2017. I had a 2010 Concours 14 that I put 33,000 miles on. I live in Houston and ride virtually every weekend all year around and wear full gear (mesh in summer). Discounting earlier years before either one of them figured out the heat problem, neither one of mine was particularly hot to me. My 2004 ST1300 was.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 03-23-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #167 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If Kawi had offered the C14 with an electronic cruise control (the throttle-by-wire is only an excuse) on the Eddie Lawson green bike, i’d Probably be riding a c14 vs the “fastest color” red 2014a that I have.

At any of the shows I go to if Kawasaki has a rep there I always ask when they’re going to add cruise and usually get a variety of excuses. At the IMS in Chicago this past February the Kawi rep said it’s easily the most frequently asked question,,I don’t get it ! It’s to the point that imho the c14 is looking dated and in need of a facelift as well, just my opinions of course.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #168 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hello. This thread was the first I saw on this forum and this is my first post, here. Having owned both machines, and having read or at least skimmed all 17 sections, I think I have something to add.

I bought a NOS 2013 c-14. I had a c-10, before that and a ST-1300a in between.

The c-10 had carbs and was, in my perception, underpowered.

The Honda was a nightmare - gross understeer that made the front tire slip out on wet turns... I got rid of that thing, before it got rid of me!

The Kaw had 2 problems, both of which made riding it scary, and PAINFUL. I'm 6-2. I remember stopping and my foot landing on some sand... It never went down but It came way too close! And that seat. It was designed, posthumously, by the Marquis DuSade and he outdid himself on that one. The seat was adjustable - change it, and it hurt even more!

I went and looked at a used Raider S, never intending to buy it, but I did. That summer the c-14 gathered dust. I don't think I rode it even once more. I just sold the thing. Kaw, as usual, made a ****-bent for highway machine. And, as always, they forgot a human was going to ride it. My first Kaw was a 74 Z-1. They haven't changed...

Last year I bought a Harley to flip, like I usually do. But the market for used hogs has thanked. At the end of the season a guy looked at it, then offered to trade a '12 FJR, all farkled out, for it. We took about a 75 mile ride. I traded!

Now I have the FJR and another Raider S. Some texting fool ran me down on the first one. It paid well .)

My FJR, being a gen 2, has no abs or traction control. If it did I would not ride it. I planned to sell it, first thing this season. I don't think so... I need 2 bikes like I need another hole in my head but I can't see me letting go of ither of them.

The Raider S is beautiful. I put a low 'n mean fender on the front and a chin fairing. It REALLY turns heads, everywhere I go. I love watching their faces as they realize it's not a hog. roflmao! Nobody has mentioned the Raider in this thread. All I can say is, you better not go ride one. You might find yourself chucking rocks at your sport-tourer, just like I did

The FJR? Hmmm... I perceive this machine as being as close as you can come to a "generic" motorcycle. I'm a photographer. Long ago I realized I don't want a camera, I just want a good picture. If the same can be applied to a motorcycle, the FJR is the best I have seen. You just get a REAL good ride. It seems the bike is not even there, at times.

The FJR does everything, and it does everything without breaking a sweat, or even trying. It aint slow! That's for sure. It goes a lot faster than I want to go so like, who CARES if it will outrun whichever bike? I don't. Still, I would say there is little chance of it getting away from you because of the power.

The seat is not wonderful butt you can ride the thing, which is a lot more than I can say about the c-14.

Sitting on it, I get a feeling of being "planted." It's ultra-stable and the handling inspires confidence. It's easy to forget you're not on a "liter bike" but it will remind you, in extreme situations. I feel I am on a state of the art bike as I ride.

If you want "soul" buy a Norton Commando. If you want a state of the art bike that does everything well, it's the FJR
postoak likes this.
post #169 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
If Kawi had offered the C14 with an electronic cruise control (the throttle-by-wire is only an excuse) on the Eddie Lawson green bike, i’d Probably be riding a c14 vs the “fastest color” red 2014a that I have.

At any of the shows I go to if Kawasaki has a rep there I always ask when they’re going to add cruise and usually get a variety of excuses. At the IMS in Chicago this past February the Kawi rep said it’s easily the most frequently asked question,,I don’t get it ! It’s to the point that imho the c14 is looking dated and in need of a facelift as well, just my opinions of course.
I keep seeing comments about the Concours and cruise control...maybe one day I will actually turn mine on. But the one thing that it seems people are missing is the smaller fuel tank (nevermind the requirement for premium) on the Kawasaki. 5.6gal as opposed to 6.6gal on the FJR. For me, range is the deciding factor. I don't think the Kawasaki gets significantly better mileage to make up for the smaller tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400
post #170 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

WC,yep, good points. But for me, a good cruise control is a must have and really was the deciding factor between the fjr and the c14. For me.

The smaller tank is a non-issue for me because I have a 125-150 mile bladder, just the way it is, the premium requirement would be a nuscience and the use of regular in the fjr is a definite plus, basically it’ll run well on about anything.

But i’ll add that with all the quality issues i’ve had with my 2014a it takes a lot of the luster of it off,, even though it’s still the fastest color ! ������. I do love that red !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 03-24-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page