Temptation, thy name is R1200RT - Page 13 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
LEOs adopt brands because of the package deals that are made. BMW beat HD not on performance or reliability but because they were closer to free than HD were that year. The MFGRs do it because they use the free advertising (they lose money on each sale so make up for it in volume ).
I do not believe this is true. Harley has had programs that offer their bikes to law enforcement for close to free. Read the results of the Michigan HP tests to pick a motorcycle. They chose the RT based upon superior performance in nearly every category. They went back to Harley because of cost.
J-Luv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Service availability is part of the package too. When you’ve got three HD shops in the area and only one BMW shop and it’s two counties over, who do you think is going to offer the most competitive maintenance bid?

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #123 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Package deals include total cost to lease. Original buy in, maintenance, parts, sometimes even the service itself.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #124 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

A quick Google session didn't turn up a form of the benefit/cost info report I was looking for. However, I did turn this up.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #125 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
The ugly time for bimmer bikes was between '00 and '09 or so to my knowledge. I had an '04 R1150R bike that was great save for the clutch spline issue which manifested around 18k or so. Complete PITA and had the bike split in two more than once to resolve. The final drive issue's mostly afflicted the K bikes. The FD's don't look that different externally between the two models so I would assume that the extra load (weight and power) had something to do with early failure. I remember reading about the bearings not being shimmed correctly...

Aside from all that, The new R bikes appear to be more resilient than previous models although I think another year or two could lend a bit more insight as the miles pile up on the early models (2015+ I think). I guess my thoughts on the matter are and have already been discussed here at length if you look for it, BMW's are great bikes as far as the ride experience goes. If your willing to pay the premium to get into one and subsequently pay for the additional maintenance cost, then all is good. It's really a personal choice beyond that point. I would think when I hit your age, no offense, that 125hp would be plenty. I'm 51 and I think the FJR is a short twist away from getting me into trouble but for now I'll leave it in touring mode and see what the future brings.

Good luck with your decision!
I would like any comments on why there seem to be so many 2014 or newer RT's with 10k or so For Sale ? Does anyone have a thought on the subject ?
post #126 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

From Cycle World's July '15 review of the RT

Not that it’s perfect. Soon after the bike was delivered, its Dynamic ESA suspension was subject to a no-ride recall for shock-piston shafts that could fail. The RT was off the road for five months, but BMW offered impressive support for owners up to buying the bike back, if desired.

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #127 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiii View Post
I would like any comments on why there seem to be so many 2014 or newer RT's with 10k or so For Sale ? Does anyone have a thought on the subject ?
Where does this come from? I just searched EVERY CL page in WI and there is not 1. I searched for FJR with those specs and there are a few. I then searched for Harley and set the mileage to 10,000 and there are literally hundreds. Granted Harley has a much larger market share than BMW in WI to the point of being flooded. Finding a wethead RT around here with less than 10,000 miles is like spotting Bigfoot. People are definitely not dumping them if that is what you are implying.
J-Luv likes this.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)

Last edited by HFJeff; 09-14-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #128 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiii View Post
There's only one for sale within 200 miles of me:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mc...691816334.html

Of course he/she wants $2k more than I paid for my FJR new. Not that $15k is a bad price given where those start at. There's some NC folks on here that may see what your seeing....we'll see what they say I guess.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #129 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think the Cycle World excerpt explains why '14 RT's may not be as desirable as other RT's. Keep in mind that anyone considering buying a '14 RT can find out whether or not that particular RT has been repaired as per the recall. Which doesn't mean buying one is one step away from setting fire to money for no good reason. Unless the buyer is too lazy to do due diligence.

-
'17 FJR 1300ES

Last edited by RBEmerson; 09-14-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity's sake
post #130 of 220 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Right now I have an '16 FJR1300A and a '14 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS. I use the FJR for my western vacations and I use the Tiger for trail riding/camping around Wisconsin. Increasingly I am considering one bike to replace both. And that one bike would be a R1200GS Adventure. Often times when I go out west I see the trails in Utah, Arizona and Colorado and think how great it would be to ride those too. The Tenere' is not as good a bike as the GS. The Tiger 1200 is close, but no cigar. Maybe this is just part of my motorcycle evolution.
J-Luv likes this.

My first car was a motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page