Ear plugs - what are you using? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've been using ear plugs while riding (also at work, mowing, etc) for many years. I've grown to like Moldex 6800 disposable earplugs. I buy them buy the case. They have a 33 NRR which is one of the best out there. For whatever reason, I have started to look at different earplugs, non-disposable to be specific.

Has anyone had any experience with the link above? I'm not too impressed with the NRR of them, but I'm not sure what decibel level is happening in my helmet at 75mph either, so maybe the reduced NRR would be fine. I also have a Sena unit in my helmet and with the Moldex 6800 plugs, I find I have to turn the Sena to the max to hear it, at any speed, due to how well those Moldex plugs work. What I'm getting at is I don't know if I need all the 33 NRR the Moldex provides. Less is maybe more kinda thing.

I'm not interested in getting a set of custom made plugs as I will surely lose them at some point or another. A pair of $20 plugs would be easier to swallow if I lost those.

Let me know what are your favorites. (I used the search function and didn't find anything too recent on this subject, so I'm bringing it up again)

2015 FJR1300A

Last edited by Brian20; 02-07-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Get custom earbuds. Plug them into your intercom. Unlikely to lose them as they have the cables attached. Just a suggestion - best of both worlds then.
J-Luv, DJRTX and Brian20 like this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

I use No Noise Motorsports plugs. Desighned to mainly block out the higher frequencies. Wind noise. I wear the disposable ones at work and can only handle a couple of hours using them as they are always pushing out, expanding. Starts to hurt after a while.
RERJr, WhatYes and Brian20 like this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have used Howard Leight low pressure disposable. 20 pair for $5 on Amazon

I have small ear canals and these are the only ones that don't hurt after an hour. I believe the NR is 30. They cut the wind noise but still let me hear the directions from the GPS. Can be kept in an old 35mm film canister (for those of us old enough to remember those) or any other small closable container and reused. When they get dirty or used too much toss them and grab a new pair.
mobilemike and jtdunc like this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Westone 47 custom plugs. Pricey. Lose a lot of weight and you'll need to buy a new set. Not sure about gaining weight. No pain with them, ever. I can wear them as long as I want. And they don't come out on their own.

I can generally hold normal conversations with them in. Plenty quiet for me into triple digits in a Nolan N104 Evo. And at full volume I hear my Sena 20S fine until I'm risking an interstate performance certificate. I can still hear it then, but just not as clearly.

When I bought them I was thinking I might wear them to church - loud CCM - and chose clear ones. I never did wear them to church. But when I accidentally dropped one on a group ride, no one noticed. Get bright colors so if you drop them you or your friends will notice and point them out.
TexTed likes this.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
I use No Noise Motorsports plugs. Desighned to mainly block out the higher frequencies. Wind noise. I wear the disposable ones at work and can only handle a couple of hours using them as they are always pushing out, expanding. Starts to hurt after a while.
I also used NoNoise motorsports earplugs for short trips.

For long slab rides, I used the Howard Leight Max 33 NRR foam orange earplugs.

Can hear my Sena 20S just fine with both.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I started with the Howard Leight foam orange ones too. I liked them but they were not comfortable for me when riding all day.
Found the low pressure (green) ones and they have been great
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I take my hearing aids out and use Hearos ear plugs..

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

I tried them all, these are less expensive and work very well. Soft and flexible. The stem is soft so it does not press on you when the helmet contacts here and there.

The silicone cleans well and slides right in to seal well. I really like them compared the foam ones. They go right in and don't continue to expand like foam, seat then well and comfy leave em there.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
Westone 47 custom plugs. Pricey. Lose a lot of weight and you'll need to buy a new set. Not sure about gaining weight. No pain with them, ever. I can wear them as long as I want. And they don't come out on their own.

I can generally hold normal conversations with them in. Plenty quiet for me into triple digits in a Nolan N104 Evo. And at full volume I hear my Sena 20S fine until I'm risking an interstate performance certificate. I can still hear it then, but just not as clearly.

When I bought them I was thinking I might wear them to church - loud CCM - and chose clear ones. I never did wear them to church. But when I accidentally dropped one on a group ride, no one noticed. Get bright colors so if you drop them you or your friends will notice and point them out.
Also went with these - had too many issues with foam plugs seeming to work their way out of my ears to the point that I'd be riding along, then wondering if I'd forgotten to put them back in after a stop (weird shaped canals, I guess)... and sometimes even stopping again to check. Not a cheap option, but they've worked well for me, and with hearing issues that pre-date my riding days I figured I'd best reduce as much noise as I safely can.

Also, speaking to Ludwig's experience: I went with hi-viz yellow and it has paid off a couple of times when I've dropped them!

TexTed

Current Ride - 2015 FJR A
Previous Rides- Triumph Tbird 1600, Honda Shadow 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page