2008 FJR1300AE - Reliability of YCCS Workings - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By two_wheeled
  • 1 Post By relhok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2008 FJR1300AE - Reliability of YCCS Workings

Hello:

Looking to add an FJR1300 to my stable. I have found a 2008 AE, with 55K miles on it. It has been well maintained, so I am not all that concerned with the amount of miles on it. However, the whole YCC-S system is a new thing for me. I feel with my motorcycling background, that I would be fine with the AE. However, I have concerns regarding the components (especially the electro-mechanical) of the YSS-C's system, for a bike with this many miles on it. Are my concerns well-founded, or are these components as reliable as the rest of the bike? Anyone ever had any problems with their AE, with a decent amount of miles and running on it? I've done a fair amount of research on the older AE, but there is little if any, about failure of its YCC-S system.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I know a few with AE's that have had them long term, and the components seem to be reliable electro-mechanically. There was the occasional issue ('06's) with the mounting bolts loosening on the servo unit, which could result in a broken off tab/boss the rear screw uses. If it were me, I would put a washer under those bolts, get longer bolts if necessary, and loctite them. I know of one where the bracket that holds the unit to the rear subframe had broken the welds that attach the bracket to the rear subframe.

There is constant stresses back and forth as the bike shifts, thus important to keep these fasteners snug to prevent movement... which is the real cause of those failures. Other than that, I think you're good to go.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Got me an '07 w/ 'round 75K trouble free miles. The downshifts are a little funky w/ the AEs, butt the up shifts are great.
If'n the suspension's stock, it'll need sum work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

I love my AE!
There are some items to be aware of when owning the AE. My personal experience has been this:

- Getting used to YCCS took a few tanks of gas. I hit the horn a lot at first.
- No, I never forgot how to use a clutch. I also ride dirt bikes, and having no clutch on the AE has never been a source of confusion for me.
- The YCCS is very reliable. I haven't heard of any failures except for the mount listed above, and I think that's pretty rare.
- The electronics are sensitive. Adjusting the idle speed has a significant effect on how well or poorly it handles in 1st gear.
- The "clutch engagement speed" is a neat electronic setting to play with. You have to dig into settings to do it. Don't play with it, like I did, unless you know what you're doing.
- I bought my AE because I was infatuated with the YCCS. After 2+ years I am still infatuated with it. I absolutely love everything about this bike! And I still ride other motos with manual clutches.
2GENAE likes this.

-Steve in Phx
IBA# 61624
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 Honda XR650L (bought new)

...and a bunch of other dirt bikes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Just for fun I've been looking into importing a Gen 3 U.K. FJR1300AS or maybe getting parts to make one. The shift servo on the U.K. 2016 is the same part number as a U.S. 2009 FJR1300AE. No revisions.

I'm at 47K and my only issues were related to a weak battery.
2GENAE likes this.

DAN THE PARTS MAN
2007 FJR1300AE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

If funds were unlimited I too would try to import another new one, but my 08 ae is sweet and wouldn't want to go back to normal. Sorry can't comment on long term but mine has 24000 miles and works well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just bought my 2007 AE about a month ago. It was a one owner bike. It was maintainted pretty well therefore I got it but it sat six months or so before I got it. I've ran a number of teams of fuel thru it work seafoam and it's getting better every day. I love the shifting. It's a lot bigger bike than I've ridden in the past but I love the weight. It's stable in there wind, fast and it's one of the only bikes I can get a 12 pack in the top box with groceries and still have room in the side boxes. The auto clutch is a bit eccentric but it functions great. I love to sit at a traffic light and just take my hands off the bars. It just waits for me to twist some throttle. It is very smooth. Not smooth at all when you are at low speed in a parking lot. It jerks hard with little throttle. But that's all of the fjrs with the fuel injection. Just go easy on the throttle in the parking lots and moving in tight spots. On the highway, I love the ae shifting. This bike is made to run at high speeds. Not putz thru parking lots and bike rodeo BS. It's a 700 lb rocket that happens to hold my big ass on it. This bike puts a smile on face every time I ride it. I hate getting in my truck anymore. I'd rather sweat my balls off on the hot tarmac is Texas on the grey ghost than sit in my truck in the ac.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have a 2008 AE now for six months, it has 49,000 miles now. It took a few tanks of gas to learn the computer clutch and when NOT to keep shifting down, wait on ECM or blip throttle and shift down. The clutch can be a little finicky when engine is cold in winter time but smooth after engine is operating temp. Read the owners manual don't move rear shock firmness lever unless bike is on center stand. Do purchase a FSM for the AE. And check your vin# at Yamaha site to see if the re-call for ignition switch and ground on "Spider". If not any Yamaha shop will do so free. I have been riding for decades this AE is a joy to ride in traffic with my arthritis.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd love to have a Gen3 AS in Root Beer... waited but Yammy kept that in the EU. If an '08 or '09 fell into my hands, hmmm... but I am moving on.
If it were more like the Honda DCT, it would be perfect.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page