FJR Owners Forum banner

2018 FJR released, A model back

16K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  Ditch 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
+1, I like the blacked out items also. Warms my heart to Yamaha continuing the line with both A and ES. Was worried when there was no 2018 A, worried that no ES was coming. All is well.... for this coming year. LOL

#9 ·
Matte Blue wouldn't be my first color pic. At least 2016's blue is decent on the eyes.

I love my Raven Black 2017ES. Just took it in for it's first service today - 600 miles! And added the tall OEM windshield. What a positive difference.

#10 ·
The 2017 in that Matte Silver isn't selling so I doubt that this will either.

I see that still got that piece off garbage seat. They could have at least put the Yamaha Comfort seat on it. That isn't great either but at lease it's a lot better then the stock one.

Also those matte Black side panels will turn colour very quickly where your riding pants touch them. I had a gloss black 2008 and the side panels turned dull on that in 5000k. I can only image with the matte black.
They will probably turn shiny where you riding pant touch them.

#12 · (Edited)
I have a VROD with a matte finish and they make a cleaner for the finish that I use with very good results. I also use it on my matte finish helmets ... good stuff and lasts a long time. The important thing to remember is not to buff a matte finish or else you get shiny spots.

Attachments

#13 ·
Not a fan of the matte look nor the blacked-out look, so am not a fan of the '18. Maybe, just maybe, had they gone with a burnt-orange matte, similar to this Victory:

...so that the color still has some punch to it, maybe that'd've worked...but to repeat a color from just two years back ('16) and then make it dull...doesn't work for me. Very glad I have the shiny blue. :)

#15 ·
The issue for me is I buy an FJR to ride it all conditions worry-free, then hose is down at a car wash and I 'm done. I also don't want to worry about bugs and tar and road grim sitting on the paint for weeks at a time on a big tour. Matte require special care and extra steps to clean it, plus you can't buff out scratches which is another nice thing about a bike you use the crap out of. Good luck Yamaha, but to no thanks.

#16 ·
I do not understand why Yamaha has to have different side panel colors versus the main color. My 2014 came with the silver side panels and I immediately bought some red ones to replace them with. Looks mucho better to me. All those different colors make the bike look like it was wrecked and cobbled back together with whatever was laying around.
Might as well put a black front fender on while they are at it.

Old fart rant over.

#18 ·
I had the red panels ordered for my '14 before I took delivery. I, too, like the monochromatic look much better.

I do really like the black frame however - a black frame including swing arm and fork would look pretty sweet with the red.

I applaud Yamaha for doing something different instead of the black/silver/gray colors, but I think they need to offer a "safe" choice AND something like this in the same year.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales were affected simply due to the strange single color choice offered for this model year.

#19 ·
A matte finish requires special cleaners to clean it. It will turn shiny if you rub it too much or use the wrong cleaner on it. I saw a HD with spots on the front of the tank that were shiny on the "Denim" finish. I asked the rider about it and he said that was where bugs got on the tank and he used regular soap and a microfiber cloth to clean it.

#21 ·
Here in the UK my 2014 came all Lava Red, apart from the piece around the bottom of the tank.

I think the Phantom Blue looks just awful, what is wrong with Yamaha ?

#22 ·
Yup - U.S. models got a silver side panel, UK got matching red. This is why it's easy for us to swap it out, just needed the part number for the UK version.

Probably the most bang for the buck cosmetic upgrade you can do. I got the pair of panels ready to install for under $130US to my door.

But in years past, the silver side panels were common (at least in U.S.): 2005, 2006, 2007 (with entire silver tail section).

#23 ·
I'm in the 'blah' camp. I think the '18 looks horrible. IMHO the black wheels have always looked like crap and now the side panels & the frame & the forks look like crap. Think about how yer gonna clean all the bug guts off the forks without marring the finish. Um, yeah, good luck wid dat....

I think the complete yet-again-blue dull package is like the brown bag of dookie on the a-hole neighbor's front porch- set it on fire and run away.

Reactions: philharmonic
#34 ·
<snip> IMHO the black wheels have always looked like crap... <snip>.
I keep a second set of wheels on hand so that I always have a fresh set of tires ready to go. With that second set, I stripped off the black paint and really like how it changes the look of the bike overall. Mine is a silver 2003 so it's not a huge contrast but it's quite noticeable. Not sure how it would look on a dark coloured bike.

#25 ·
I think Yamaha Blue should be offered every year. Its a heritage/traditional thing in my mind. Honda Red, Suzuki Yellow, Kawasaki Green and Yamaha Blue !
But why cant we get at least one more color choice ? At the factory level, color change should be a non issue. Only hassle would be post sale parts inventory. Statistically, motorcycle parts are replaced as opposed to repaired and repainted !

#28 ·
I have seen the 2018 matt blue and gloss black in the flesh in Edinburgh today and sad to say that (in my opinion) it looks even worse than in the publicity shots. The entire rear is black, even the hub and the matt blue looks terrible. The only upside was that it improved the look of the matt silver one that it was sat next too !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.