Joos and Jake - bow and exit stage left... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Joos and Jake - bow and exit stage left...

Hi all,

It is an age since I have been on the site, but Jake (Mrs Jooshead - for those who don't know) has been doing a sterling job with keeping the hosting of FJROwners going and getting enough income to allow us to break even on the hosting (mostly).

I set up this site in 2001 - as an FJR Owner who wanted a place for owners of what is still, to my mind, the best sport touring bike there is. The fact that all the imitators are so clearly just that, is testimony to how right Yamaha got this bike in the first place. Admittedly having to sell mine was heartbreaking, and ultimately meant that I did not stay an active part of the site. I have met many of you in my travels and at various meets and FJR Owners are good folks. My trip to the West Coast and riding with all those guys and gals who made me so massively welcome is still a very dear memory. So for this reason and while we had the managed server available to us, we decided that it made sense to keep the site running for as long as we could.

Anyway – here is the rub.... without boring you with the details – we were recently approached by and have sold FJROwners.com to Motorcycle.com - they own/run the www.motorcycle.com website, along with several other power sports and automotive related websites. They are biking people who run forums, and that has to be a pretty good start!

We felt they would be able to add value to the site that, for various reasons we simply cannot. Please be in no doubt we thought long and hard about what was best for the site and its members. Being paid something for the site after 10 years work is nice, but it was not the deciding factor. We know firsthand that having the right technical people, time and money to invest is a rare thing in websites, particularly a very niche bike forum. Finding an organisation at the right time that had these and would allow the site to stay alive and progress was a rare thing.

They have been honest to deal with and genuinely concerned about finding out what you / the site needs to keep the membership interested and keep FJROwners.com a great place to come and be. That includes upgrades, easier membership access and better security to try and keep the SPAM at bay.

The sale is complete and you are actually viewing this on their server now.

They will be along shortly to introduce themselves, liaise with the moderators and give you lines of communication so you can get in touch with them. The main new technical contact will be a guy called Dwayn who will be using the handle “administrator”. He will be monitoring everything moving forward.

Jake and I would like to say a special thanks to all the moderators and all the long term members. You all know who they are and what they have done so I’ll not labour the point. I hope they will feel this is a sensible move and will want to continue being the life blood of the site and see it through to the next stage in its evolution.

If you want to get in touch with me, you may still do so through the site, I am still a moderator and will keep an active watch during this transition period.

All the best – and ride safe.

Jooshead and Jake.
Buck83 likes this.

Behave, be nice and we'll all get along just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dwayn and I will be here to assist on the site. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks,
Dwayn
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thanks for the great venue, Joos. Losing all the trick accessories when you closed down the commercial side of things a few years back was a major blow.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thanks Joos. You built something that took on a life of its own, didn't you?
I've enjoyed buying things from your business, too.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the community here, and so many of you are dear friends. This board is small, but it's just the right size for me to stay interested in the community, while running a business 70 hours a week. I don't care to spend much time on bigger boards, because there's too much content and chatter. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Also, the unique structure of this board, for some reason, works great on mobile devices (even before mobile devices were so common). If the board becomes structured like the run-of-the-mill 'v-bulletin' sites, I would cut my ability to visit the site by about 80%.

So, Dwayn... where you from?
Motorcycle.com was an interesting board I used to frequent years ago... I think Brent Plummer was the owner?

(Now I'm off to check to see if the old, old FJR04 and FJR02 pages are still somewhere.)

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

I am located in Toronto, Ontario.

I do believe the old owner was Brent Plummer for Motorcycle.com. That was quite a ways back.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Joos, I have been here (for the most part) since the inception of the site. I really appreciate the long hours it took in the early days to get the site up and running. My knowledge level of the FJF increased logrithmically because of the site. I've met alot of riders here and have had a thoroughly good time riding with several of them. I'd like to thank you for facilitating friendships here. Thanks

Glenn

Administrator- Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
FJR Top Gun

Be sad not to have you two lurking in the background Joos, but a sincere thank you for setting up this site a decade ago, and bringing together an 'interesting' bunch of characters . This forum helped me decide to buy an FJR, and then made some good friends through here.
Many thanks

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
A start of a new era.

How do you say welcome to the site when your the da boss Dwayn. Welcome

Good luck Joos & Jake I hope you all the best in your latest venture and as MM said thanks for setting the site up and looking after us.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys for the welcome. I look forward to having a good time with you all.

Dwayn
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Pete
I would just like to echo the respect and appreciation for Joos and Jake for setting up the site and persisting for so long with it.

I have also been around since 2001, and have had the pleasure of meeting and making new friends.

Welcome aboard, Dwayn - you have a tough act to follow!

Good luck, Joos and Jake, in your future ventures!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page