Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
Bonus, it will take a car tire.

You'd hate my FJR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Farkle Trainee

lol, i tried to share a bit, but what do i know, only had a c14 for 98k miles before my 16es

Passx, of course the c14 bike pulls away from idle,
done here,
1 wheel peel and Redfish like this.

16ES
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Joel, what I meant was that it should be able to pull from near idle in higher gears not just from a stop in 1st. If everything is tuned right it should be able to pull down to close to idle rpm in say 5th gear and pull back up from there. When I set up one of my older carb’d bikes that’s how I check how well it is set up, I basically pull it down to near idle speed and then accelerate back up, not full throttle or anything like that but gradually and smoothly pull back up. My fjr seems to be able to do this pretty easily which with the tbw I thought would be harder to do than a direct cable actuation.

Why do this ? Because it really highlights any imbalances or incorrect setup issues. The stock c14 I rode years ago would also do this easily, I guess I was asking if it would still do it “post” being flashed.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-11-2018 at 09:05 AM.

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Howdy, I'm new to the forum and I'm the former owner of a 2008 C14 that sadly was total due and accident (I low sided) off the road. the C14 did great in the 4 years that I had it. my only complaints were the 5.5 gallon fuel tank and the keyfob system the bike has. Aside from that, the bike handles very nice and the engine makes awesome power.

I now have a 2013 FJR that will serve me well. The main reason for going to an FRJ is that I got it from a friend of mine at a great price. He is buying a... wait for it... wait for it... an ST1300.

I can't say that the C14 or the FJR is better. (I have ridden FJR's before including the silly clutch less version).

with the 5.5 gallon tank I would get around 200 fuel range.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtxdemon View Post
with the 5.5 gallon tank I would get around 200 fuel range.

That is about what you get with an FJR.

Oh, except for the 1.5 gallon "reserve" and it is regular gas.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

What was he thinking? I passed up on a brand new out-the-box 2014 Ctx for a new FJR 2017...Oh yeah! For the same price...

Biking Is The Most Fun You Can Have With Your Clothes On
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
  • 2017 FJR1300 ES (Currently)
  • 1979 HONDA 750CBK (10TH Anniversary Edition)
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I demo test rode a Concours13 and an FJR in 2014 at AMERICADE (Lake Goerge, NY)

I'm 6'-2" tall, so both felt a little cramped, plus I need two new knees back then that didn't like bending much for very long or became painful.

I thought the Concours was extremely cramped (and too forward leaning in the saddle like a sports bike - neck cramping on long rides) compared to the FJR, and didn't care for the handling (lean in curves) much. The FJR was mildly cramped in comparison, and I loved the FJR handling in comparison to the Concours (was much like my 1982 Yamaha Seca 400).

So, the other day (now that I have two new knees: 2015 and 2016 STRYKER titanium models) I went to the local dealer who carries Kawasaki Yamaha, and Triumph brands, and they had a Concours13 on the showroom that I sat on - still felt cramped for me! Too bad they didn't have an FJR to compare to now with the new knees bending better (and no pain now) than the old ones did.

I also test rode a BMW 1600 (GTL?) 2014 and didn't like it much, felt like I had to manhandle it too much (heavy), and the bezel ring they have above the left-hand grip kept getting bumped (changes electronic controlled settings) when using the left turn signal, and speedometer numbers too small with a HUGE range into the hundreds - probably for AUTOBAN zooming!

The last sports/touring bike to try before buying soon was the Triumph Trophy SE and compare it to the FJR, but when at the dealer, I found out they just discontinued making them in 2017. I got to sit on one in 2014, and it felt good with the old knees, but not test ride one for a solid comparison.

So, I'm thinking by default now - if I want a new bike; it's the FJR if I can sit/test ride one again and the new knees like it as much as the rest of me! It rode like a grandson to my SECA 400, so easy to maneuver but on steroids with so much more power!!!

In case I go the used route - Anyone have a comparison story with the TRIUMP TROPHY and the FJR?

Dave

CW2, US Army, Special Forces "Green Beret" A-Team Medic, Helicopter Aircrew/Flight Medic, Helicopter Pilot, x2 Wars Veteran - Retired.

I still have my 1982 Yamaha SECA 400; test rode an FJR at Americade (Lake George, NY) and it felt/rode like the SECA's grandson on steroids...

"Never pick a fight with an old man, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!"
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or-dave View Post
I also test rode a BMW 1600 (GTL?) 2014 and didn't like it much,

and speedometer numbers too small with a HUGE range into the hundreds - probably for AUTOBAHN zooming!

Seating can be adjusted with a custom seat from some place like Russell. They get measurements and photos and can move the pocket where you sit farther back if needed.

Speedometers aren't just about the Autobahn. Ride west of the Mississippi occasionally and especially the Western Outback. Most have speeds posted between 75-85 with traffic (if there is even another vehicle within 100 miles) will be going faster.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Seating can be adjusted with a custom seat from some place like Russell. They get measurements and photos and can move the pocket where you sit farther back if needed.
Don't forget the FJR seat has a high/low position stock from the factory. As with @av8or-dave my knees do not like to bend so I ride with the seat in the high position no matter I point toe to stop at intersections.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or-dave View Post
In case I go the used route - Anyone have a comparison story with the TRIUMP TROPHY and the FJR?
I have about 2k miles on my 2013 FJR I picked up 2 weeks ago and test rode a Trophy at a dealer for about an hour ride along with an ST1300 too. The Trophy felt like a whale in the parking lot due to the larger fairing, but once moving it felt manageable. The FJR feels much lighter in the corners and tighter mechanically too. The Trophy is more comfortable as the pegs feels lower, bars higher, and the seat is deeper for more adjusting. It is more touring than sport. I would say the Trophy is in between an FJR and a BMW R1200RT. Not as quick as the FJR but the 6th overdrive gear is taller on the highway. The luggage is bigger if that matters. Having speakers was interesting but I like the SENA better. If you're doing more long hauls and less canyon carving, then the Trophy might be a better fit. I love my FJR so far though and am also quite comfortable on it so I'd say the best advice is just to go out and ride one to decide!
Chicago_FJR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page