Front fork spring noise in fork tubes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Front fork spring noise in fork tubes

Since I am on the curiosity train, is it normal to hear the front fork springs slapping the fork tubes on bumpy roads? It is pretty loud and noticeable. I bought the bike with 1,000 miles on it and it was there from the beginning so I assumed it is normal. I guess with all the technology, I expected Yamaha would use some sort of plastic bushing to silence it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFJeff View Post
Since I am on the curiosity train, is it normal to hear the front fork springs slapping the fork tubes on bumpy roads? It is pretty loud and noticeable. I bought the bike with 1,000 miles on it and it was there from the beginning so I assumed it is normal. I guess with all the technology, I expected Yamaha would use some sort of plastic bushing to silence it.
No, it isn't normal to hear that.

Two questions ... Is it really the springs? and ... Is there any oil in there?

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

I suspect front pads or head bearings need adjusting

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Hmm, now I am a bit concerned. I have never had any leaks or handling issues, but who knows what the previous owner had or did with it. It is definitely the front fork springs sliding and slapping inside the fork tubes on bumpy roads.

I will check fork oil. When you say front pads, are you referring to brake pads or other pads?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What bike is this and are there aftermarket springs in it? There is nothing to prevent the springs from moving inside the forks, but they should be held at the lower end by the big nut on the cartridge. The top end is held by a washer, but the top end of the spring could slide around enough to let the spring contact the inside of the tubes.

Depending on what preload you have set, the springs really shouldn't move much, but the Gen1/2's springs aren't adequate for most...

I would check the steering head bearings for correct snugness. I doubt you're low in fork oil.
mobilemike likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Sorry for the lack of info-it is a 2011 A. As far as aftermarket springs-I have not changed them but don't know about PO-I doubt it. I picked up the bike 5 years old with 1,000 miles on it and bone stock. The guy just did not ride it much as he had several other bikes.

Last edited by HFJeff; 07-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Original spring rate is 0.85, and sounds like what you have. If you are near enough 200 lbs, you'll likely have the preload cranked in all the way or maybe 1 bar showing.... try that see if the noise goes away or lessens, but you'll likely hear it from time to time. Aftermarket springs can do it too, they will have a slightly larger diameter, heavier spring wire gauge and more coils (longer). RaceTech sells a guide set separately ($50) which includes a stepped washer/spacer, which is supposed to eliminate this.
mobilemike likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I vote for two things: crank down on the preload some as RaY suggests and repack/retorque/replace the steering bearings as needed.

ETA: everyone, please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own, just like Ray & I have done. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 07-22-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Sorry guys for the lack of updates-was gone with the fam on vacation.

These suggestions prompted me to go through the front suspension adjustments. I did find the thread with the YouTube video of someone doing a demo on how to adjust the FJR. The adjustments I made were:

Front preload: from 4 rings to 2 rings
rebound: from 13 clicks to 6 clicks
compression: from 17 clicks to 8 clicks
rear: soft to hard

Wow, has this made much needed improvements in handling. One of the biggest struggles I had was nose dive when coming to a stop, and hard cornering. The front would nose dive heavily, then rebound heavily. This was especially an issue with my wife on the back as she would slide forward into me, thus increasing the nose dive and rebound. All this time I assumed it was an over-sensitive front brake combined with a top-heavy bike.

The improvements are incredible. With everything firmed up a bit, the bike is much more predictable and I no longer feel I am fighting to keep it balanced while coming to a stop. I had all but stopped using the front brake entirely, except for emergencies.

Although I can still hear the fork springs a bit, it is better than before. I may do a test ride on another bike to compare as I have not ridden any other FJR. I am still going to take a look at the front bearing torque and play.

Thanks all for the recommendations and help. I am really pleased with the handling improvements.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Case closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
I suspect front pads or head bearings need adjusting
I think I narrowed this down. It does appear to be the front pads rattling around in the calipers and against the rotors on bumpy roads. I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner, but I was almost positive it was the front fork springs slapping the sides of the fork tubes-it certainly sounded like it. I started applying the front brake lightly while coasting on bumpy roads and the sound went away. A silly concern but it sure bugged me. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Case Closed!
Polar likes this.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)

Last edited by HFJeff; 09-19-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page