Front fork spring noise in fork tubes - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My sag at 3 bars preload showing, is just 2.2 inches, W/O noticeable stiction . The specs are 5.3 available inches of travel. Why would I go w/any more preload ? My previous Yamaha had similar travel specs and 2" sag was great for 99% of what's out there. Aka stability and ride comfort. Now if you a larger person than I, of course more preload, resulting w/2" sag should also be good. Q: weren't the forks changed after 2012 ? only 1 side does comp the other rebound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 10:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

IMHO 2" (50mm) sag is too much should be more like 40mm. If 2" works for you, then crank the preload to achieve it on your 2009.

Starting 2013, the right fork had a cartridge that does both rebound and compression while the left fork got a dummy cartridge. Springs were slightly upgraded.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

IMHO-At my 180# weight, Had the FJR had less available travel, then more preload would be called for. My previous ride had aftermarket Progressive springs(810#ride)& sag at 2". For that reason 2" sag seems best for me as it quickens the steering enough due to enough "trail" change vs. less sag with plenty of room(3 inches) to absorb bumps where I ride- aka all of the USA , mostly the northeast lately, and the forks do not bottom out when on the brakes hard. I will check thing out vigorously going forward and let you know, pun intended.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I meet with an Ex-road racer ...the noise we confirmed is the swoosh of oil thru the rebound damping circuit(washers). Proved by setting the rebound to least resistance and simply pumping the fork at stand still= no sound. It returned when damping set to the standard level. Thus , this is pretty much a normality most don't notice. Then road 200 miles, I tried various damping settings that many just made the ride harsher if more than 3 clicks from standard than the the stock settings. I met with an owner of his 2nd FJR , latest 2010 . He is same size as me and logged well over 120k on FJRs. He has never needed to go far from the stock settings. Damping is motion control, springs take load, damping controls it...too much damping control causes harshness. The pre-2013 FJRs don't need the preload at max nor damping turned way up unless you racing or are riding with a passenger or the driver is approaching 250# themselves ...BOTH forks are doing the job together. I cannot help that Yamaha decided not to continue with a proven excellent design and caved to be like others with a dummy fork. I think The 3rd gen is/was a compromise and this compromise was due to a simple economic fact, that like it or not Other Jap companies were not making a sophisticated fork(comp & rebound both forks adjustable)in this class of bike - FJR gen 1 & 2 and just decided to do a step back. A fork needs to go into ruts as well as go over bumps. 2" sag is a good start place for a fork that has 5.3" of travel. If people like more preload...so be it. I like a Cadillac ride with Porsche control . Thanks to Yamaha. I have itmy $.02 Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by jasonm.; 10-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page