FJR Owners Forum banner

Sport mode vs Touring mode

13K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  passx 
#1 ·
Had opportunity to run my MY14 on my friends dyno at shoodabenengineering.com. Recently while on vacation.

Puts the difference in power debate to rest.

Also have some comparison runs to C14 but will post on another thread. (Don't have pics of these near to hand just now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: Redfish and MrPalms
#2 ·
I never use sport mode, my brain cannot keep up !
Keep it in touring mode all the time

#5 ·
I used to use touring mode quite a bit.
Especially two up.
I found it hard to tune into sport mode for twisties until muscle memory relearned for throttle control.
I also find sport mode eats tires a little more.
Now I mostly use sport mode because I am attuned to it AND it greatly reduces wrist discomfort (arthritic) especially after a couple hours on a challenging road.
(I must be getting old, can't believe I said that;)

Reactions: passx
#8 ·
Yes. Dyno run is WOT run.

#9 ·
I'm using Touring mode right now, because as per my related thread, I just bought a new '16. It's my first FJR, so I'm still learning the throttle response behavior and getting the feel of the bike, and, as well, I've got slick new tires. I've put on about 100 miles over the last few days, but figure once I get to 300 - 500 miles I'll have become sufficiently familiar with the bike and have put enough burnish on the sidewalls to flip it over to Sport (and probably never see Touring again, save for the periodic long Interstate ride).

I've done a couple test rides with the Sport mode, so I know the fun I'm in for. :)

#11 ·
I've heard other folks say they use Tour mode in the rain or other reduced-traction situations, and it sort of makes sense except .... the bike has traction control.
I've tried to spin the rear tire in the rain in S mode and can't do it. ;)

The one place I found T mode useful has been when my arthritic hands are really tired and sore and I'm in stop and go traffic. Then the throttle-clutch coordination seems easier. But I seldom do that anymore.

#13 ·
That was your bike he made us all look bad with on the c14 boards??
Lol j/k I so miss my flashed c14 on suspension, and a pipe. That 2nd gear is great. 0-125 and back down

The fjr there is a shift in there. Steve has done great things with the c14 for sure. I had mine flashed before him from G.
If the c14 was more electronics advanced, I wouldn't be riding the log of a fjr, lol I kid, the CC and ES were huge selling points for me.
My c14 I put 98k miles in 6 years on, another one would have been more of the same.

#15 ·
Lol. Haven't looked on COG yet.
In the beginning, before his flash a couple of years ago, my FJR was respectable in roll on comparisons.
After flash a 14 will embarrass a FJR in roll ons. A flashed 14(otherwise stock) will approach 170mph pulling 6th gear.
A FJR will do 150ish which is still way too fast and will stick with a 14 all day long with comparable riders as long as the straights aren't to long;)
A flashed 14 will pull down better mpg than FJR OVER 75mph cruising. Not even close before flash.

#25 ·
Lol. Haven't looked on COG yet.
In the beginning, before his flash a couple of years ago, my FJR was respectable in roll on comparisons.
After flash a 14 will embarrass a FJR in roll ons. A flashed 14(otherwise stock) will approach 170mph pulling 6th gear.
A FJR will do 150ish which is still way too fast and will stick with a 14 all day long with comparable riders as long as the straights aren't to long;)
A flashed 14 will pull down better mpg than FJR OVER 75mph cruising. Not even close before flash.

Is anyone doing a flash on the FJR? I would love to have one.

#16 ·
Occasionally I find myself riding in wet conditions, and I will happily flip it to Touring mode.
... and why not... that is what it is there for.
I would hate to have to tell myself later....."Drammit...! If I had only put it in Touring Mode..... !!!!"

#18 ·
My FJR swaps between sport and touring mode constantly and automatically without me even knowing! It is very odd i just set my brain to auto and just ride - mind you my bike is a 05 and my modes are adjusted by my brain and right hand :wink2:

Sorry guys could not resist :grin2:

Just pulling chains here the new FJR's are great bikes but im not sure im ready to get shot of my dinosaur just yet - may keep it until its a classic?

#19 ·
I know they say its same HP just slower throttle movement, but **** it sure feels like more HP in sport mode. I end up using Touring mode in stop n go or slow traffic to smooth out the on-off throttle response of the electronic throttle on my 2016. Just seems jerky in sport mode. But highway or curvy road, man I love that sport mode.

#26 ·
I left it on Touring mode for the first few days I owned the bike to make sure I was used to things. Switched it to Sport and haven't looked back.

After reading that people claim a little better MPG with it on T, I set it that way for my big road trip to the west coast last year. I couldn't take it - I switched it back to S at the first gas stop.

I've been fortunate not to have been stuck in crazy rain or storms since I've owned the bike, but if that happens, I'd probably use the Touring mode then.

My '99 Lexus LS400 had a "snow" mode and it kind of did the same thing- just made the throttle response a little more mushy to keep you from spinning the tires in icy conditions. It had an amazing traction control system on top of that which wouldn't let you spin out that RWD car unless you were really trying to.

#27 ·
No flash available for FJR yet. ECU still has not been cracked.
When/if this happens, shoodabenengineering.com will be creating a real world driving flash, as was done for the 14. 98% of all tuning done on the road fine tuning parameters that can't be done on dyno.

Eg. Power commander flashs can only scratch surface of what can be done with full ecu access.

Reactions: Joel S.
#29 ·
See above post.

#31 ·
Little Joe, can you post the c14 dyno sheets ?

As far as fuel economy goes, I've tried running my 14a in both t & s modes and haven't seen any difference in mileage in either mode. Past the 1st year I now run pretty much in sport mode except heavy traffic and rain where the throttle is just to twitchy in sport, imho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.