FJR Owners Forum banner

Anyone on an FJR going to step up and challenge this?

5K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Bigfoot590 
#1 ·
Reactions: Rusty2
#2 ·
No thank you.

It's certainly doable at high speed on a track like that, but he may regret putting a smaller windshield on the bike. I would have sacrificed a few extra gas stops for a larger windshield offering more protection from 100+mph wind blast.

#3 ·
The time/distance has been achieved before but no intelligent organization will sanction such a record if done on the streets. He is doing it on a track so that Guinness will certify his ride as a world's record. Much more effective in assisting with his fund raising efforts then being perceived as a motorcycle yahoo by potential donors.

#5 ·
Not my cup of tea! I've done lots of continuous hours in the saddle going places and have achieved the IBA parameters, but not into awards and records! I'm certainly not going to ride in a circle (even if it is eight miles long) for 24 hours! Glad that others do it though because I like readimg about the achievments...

#7 ·
I think part of the answer is "for the adventure", or for the challenge. Some were born with a gene that wonders, what's at the top of Everest? What's beyond the horizon? Of what am I capable? Some weren't. Not a judgment or evaluative comparison. Some like throwing darts. Some compete at it. Some like throwing fire balls. For me, an endurance endeavor, expecially a solo effort, brings a certain perspective, or even introspective, that is stimulating, enjoyable, fun, expresses feeedom and rejoices. It's a small adventure that helps scratch the itch for something different than 8-4x5, weekend home repairs, repeat. Some get it just riding. Some get it from speed. Some from dual sport adventures around the countryside. Some push the limits of the bike. Some push the limits of their mind and body in different ways. We really are more capable than we really believe. I want to remember that I ventured beyond my comfort zone when my light dims. I'm not done challenging myself. I wanna be open to things that might be worth a go, just to see what it's like. I might like it. If not, nothing ventured, nothing gained. What's next?

#9 ·
Not me! Anything that requires the voluntary strapping on of a catheter is beyond my scope of fun or personal challenge.

#11 ·
Saw this on another forum. With FJR's lighter weight, longevity/reliabilty reputation, and IBA records, someone might want to step to the plate and give it ride! Any takers? Much respect to Mr. Reese and what he has already accomplished, and the awareness he is trying to bring to veteran PTSD.

J, thanks for sharing. Much enjoyed the read!

Reactions: J-Luv
#12 ·
To me the the point of this thread isn't the long distance side of this. That guy could have easily accomplished the same record on an FJR. Maybe the point is that it was a Beemer that did it. If everything goes right my FJR will be sold tomorrow and my primary ride will be a Beemer, but not a K1600, an R1200GS LC. From my point of view an R1200RT is the competition for an FJR; however, I would still go with an FJR over an RT. If I were rolling down a slab in the mountains and decided to take a side trip through some turns, I would much prefer an FJR to a K bike. Whatever the actual weight difference is, an FJR just feels like a much lighter bike at speed. A K bike looks like it needs to visit Jenny Craig.

#17 ·
****!! If I'd known the reward was BEER I woulda whooped his butt!!

Reactions: Mr_Ed
#22 ·
I'm pretty sure that k1600 would look a lot better if it had bigger exhaust pipes.

#20 ·
A lot like NASCAR racing or horse/dog racing. Like nobody ever watches that stuff!

To each his own, ride and let ride, different strokes for different folks. You think it's dull? Then don't do it. But why you gotta diss someone else who likes it?

Reactions: J-Luv
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.