Tires and handling issues - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Tires and handling issues

I have had my 2105 A for about 6000 miles now, and am not entirely happy with the bikes tracking/handling.

The problems are:
1. The bike wanders like a drunken sailor, picking up on every groove or pitch in the road. This is very pronounced at low speed and gradually diminishes with speed to the point that it is almost not noticeable at around 60 mph.
2. the bike is hard to drop into turns. It sort of "pushes back" when you try to counter steer, and in tight turns the wandering makes things extra challenging.
3, When I turn or if I weave down the road (on purpose) like a racer trying to warm up his tires, there is a pronounced sound that comes from the tires when the bike is not going straight. During the weave, you get a whaa-whaa-whaa sound at every turn.
4. the problems seem to be getting worse

Other info.

-the bike has the original tires. The front has minor cupping.
-I had the steering head bearings checked at the 600 mile service and was told it was correct. I had them adjusted at the 4000 miles service, and the adjustment made no discernible difference. The bearing adjustment feels "right" to me. No binding.
-everything seems tight, and like I said above, almost all of the issues are unnoticeable above 60 mph. Hey, I just think I figured out the answer....

So, anyone else experience this? Thoughts? Is this a symptom of the stock tires? If so, what is the best replacement? Would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experience and how tires (or other mods / adjustments) might help. Thanks.

2015 FJR 1300 - SOLD
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just from my experience .....

I'd wait until I replaced the tires before trying to "fix" anything. My '13 did much of what you describe on the OEM BT023 F tires. I replaced mine with BT023 GTs, and it was fine, but just about anything you choose will be better.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Yes... Stock tires are junk ...

Almost anything will be better ... Plenty of reading on peoples opinions on this forum ...

People tend to like T30, PR4, Angel, etc etc ... Any of these would be a massive improvement .. Plus run 42psi rear and 40psi front as a starting point ..

In any event, your first set is toast .. Get 'em changed asap ...

Workin' them angels overtime ...

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Kingofgix,

My 2008 will "stand up" in a turn, if I have a few pounds too much air pressure in the front tire. It will "fall into" turns too willingly, if the front tire has a few pounds less air pressure than normal. What is "normal" for air pressure depends on your weight, and maybe on your suspension settings. Anytime my turning is not ideal (effortless), I know I need to add or subtract air in the front tire.

OEM tires are not the best, from what I read here. I believe that you would be much happier on better tires, anyway. Wandering and "tracking" can be the traits of worn-out or poor tires. The right tires can almost eliminate "tracking." I'm still trying to wear out the PR2s that came on my FJR, so others will have better advice on tires than I do. My PR2s do not "track" in grooves or pitches, to any bad extent.

The noise you describe in turns is baffling. Check that all the fork pinch bolts are secure. It is hard to think that you have a bad wheel bearing, but that is what it sounds like. Take the bike out on a big empty parking lot, and make nice big circles for a few minutes, going just fast enough to lean a bit and make your noise. Gear down and stop, without using your brakes much. See if one disk (front or rear) gets hot when circling, when you are not using your brakes. Circle both ways, left and right, and see if one side is worse, for noise. A hot disk in turns (no braking) may indicate a bad wheel bearing, or a sticky caliper. Please let us know what you find, there.

Cheers,
Red
philharmonic likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've gotten the noise that kingofgix talks as well about when leaning on other bikes, but I've not noticed it much on the FJR. But I wear earplugs all time time now, and my old hears don't hear like they used to either

I think it's the uneven wear that sets up the waa-waa sound. My Goldwing was most annoying on D250 tires.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Last edited by Mr_Ed; 08-02-2016 at 12:20 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

If they are Bridgestones what do you expect - they may make great racing slicks but as for road tyres they make a great fire.
rbentnail and mobilemike like this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

When I replaced my stock tires on my 14A it was like getting a new bike. Low speed handling with stockers was terrible. At other speeds and in the twisties they were barely adequate. Love my Angels.
2GENAE likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
I use PR4s at recommended pressure and she goes along as if on rails.
I was told once that the tyres that the bike comes on are not the same as the same tyre bought after market.
Not sure how true that is

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

Current FJR 2018 AE in Support Stocking Grey - yuk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:33 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagain View Post
I use PR4s at recommended pressure and she goes along as if on rails.
I was told once that the tyres that the bike comes on are not the same as the same tyre bought after market.
Not sure how true that is
I'm convinced they're not. The Owner's Manual lists the tires at BT023R F for the rear and BT023F F for the fronts. And the tires I replaced them with are BT023GTs. There was so much difference it was stunning. The OEM tires had to be held into corners; release pressure, and it would stand up. The replacement BT023GTs are very neutral.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

New tires no matter what you install are almost always certainly superior to old aged worn tires.

My OE (not the same meaning as OEM) BT023s rode fine until bald but for a minor issue of wanting to fall into a turn more as the front tire wore. PR4GT waiting to be installed.
jjscsix likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page