Finally Part of the Tribe - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Finally Part of the Tribe

Been researching FJR's for over a year to replace my '06 VStrom. Even made a spreadsheet to track different years and generations and finally decided on the 2016 or higher. Took months to find one in a suitable location and pulled the trigger last weekend. I love it! It does feel a little top heavy in corners, especially at low speed. Is this something I'll just get used to? It already has bar risers, but I did notice that there's still a fair bit of weight on my wrists that could get tiresome on long rides (which I plan to do as often as possible). Will I get used to this too?

Glad to finally be part of the tribe!

Cheers,
Eric
bounce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 11:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

The only reason I have a FJR is because in 2016 I got a leftover 2015A with freight and set up for $10,700. Had lots of bikes with most all being naked standards and 2 BMW sport cruisers. Turned out that I kinda like the FJR and it could be with me for a few many lotsa years. After you ride it for awhile you will get used to it and learn how to handle it over it handling you.

Congrats on the ride !!!

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Finally Part of the Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esblow View Post
Been researching FJR's for over a year to replace my '06 VStrom. Even made a spreadsheet to track different years and generations and finally decided on the 2016 or higher. Took months to find one in a suitable location and pulled the trigger last weekend. I love it! It does feel a little top heavy in corners, especially at low speed. Is this something I'll just get used to? It already has bar risers, but I did notice that there's still a fair bit of weight on my wrists that could get tiresome on long rides (which I plan to do as often as possible). Will I get used to this too?
Glad to finally be part of the tribe! Cheers,
Eric
Eric,

Welcome to the sandbox! Relax and be among friends.

If the FJR wants to fall into turns, it is probably because the front tire is under-inflated for your weight. Start with 39 PSI Front & 42 PSI Rear, and tinker from there. Even a few PSI can make a lot of difference. The rear wheel should feel planted, but not harsh. If you over-inflate the front tire, the bike will want to stand up in turns, needing constant input to hold it down in a turn. In the golden middle between those limits, the FJR will steer almost by thought command. Some brands and series of tires will be more likely to show these traits than other brands. I run Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, and they are definitely better than what the PO had on the bike when I got it.

Bar risers can change the hand grip height, or angles, or both. Do not assume the PO got it correct, for your body. Sit on the bike on the center stand, and see where your hands want to be when relaxed at the bars. You might add to or subtract from what you have there, but those pricey blocks and risers are really limited in what they can do for you. Some riders just convert to standard handlebars, to get the variety of choice they need. FJR handlebar adapters come in many price ranges, so shop around if you decide to go that route. The stock FJR handlebars are 7/8" (22mm), so if you work with that bar diameter, all of the switches and levers will fit. If you want to change the OEM stock handlebars in sweep, you need to loosen both sides first, to make the change. Lately I saw one rider posting who bolted on handlebar extensions (1"~2") at the ends, to make the handlebar wingspan wider for cheap. If you buy something that does not out work for you, you can reduce your losses by selling the unwanted parts in the forum Classified ads. It will fit somebody, no doubt.
esblow likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 11-25-2020 at 01:06 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Greetings and welcome from NW Indiana!

Ducit amor patriae
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 09:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:

Cheers,
Eric
Fear not I say! If you've got miles under your belt on other bikes then your questions are perfectly normal. Coming from a couple different cruisers I had them too. If you're like most of us, once you get over the "new owner jitters" you'll feel kind of silly having worried so just like we did. Everything you ask about is "fixable" in some way tho I just adapted to most of these new-to-me riding positions. After about 4 months of steady riding I found the things I needed to change. That's where the true gift of the forum comes through- what to do about it. Give yourself some time and be patient- you'll figure it out too, I have no doubt. There's lots of good reading about remedies folks have done in the mean time. Click TOOLS and ADVANCED SEARCH, kick back and enjoy the ride!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Welcome, Esblow!

You have embarked on a truly inspiring and fascinating journey on what will probably be one of the best riding experiences of your life! I know I have!

Couple of things, put your bike's year and model in your signature, so when we talk about them, we can immediately see what we are talking about. Also, edit your profile, so we can see where you are! That may help, another member who may be close to you, to inspire an ad-hoc ride, some day!

The esteemed folks who are members of this site... are some of the most thoughtful, knowledgeable, and intelligent riders, which I have ever encountered!

Their vast and deep understanding of this most noble steed, is most impressive, awe inspiring, and admirable!

This is a safe, fun, interesting and helpful group and I am honored to be in their presence! I have benefitted greatly, from their experiences and advice!

Red is spot on when he talks about tire pressure! 2 lbs on the front tire, can totally alter your riding experience! As you progress, you may find that actual tire brands may do the same!

As on any site, you will find threads ad nauseam about tire, oil, etc. but your own experiences will be your best guide. Over my many years of riding and having installed many brands of tires, I have found, for me, my body frame, and my riding style, that Metzeler tires work best for me. You may find a different brand does the same for you!

Don't be shy, share your knowledge and experiences here and you will have a great time!

I look forward to many of your experiences on your FJR!

Ride on!
esblow likes this.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter
Greg

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span, those hours spent riding a motorcycle.

Old Corral - 77 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl; '78 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt; '76 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue; '80 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"; '80 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion; '98 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thanks to you all! I will definitely be keeping on eye on tire pressures from now on.

I've had several bikes and VW's over the years and definitely respect and admire the wealth of knowledge you can find on a vehicle forum like this. Beats the old days of skimming through a thick shop manual any day.
skippy344! likes this.

Cheers,
Eric

2016 FJR1300ES

Previous Rides:
2006 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1980 Kawasaki KZ550 (Cafe Racer)
1990 Kawasaki EX500
1983 Yamaha FJ600
1981 Honda CM400T

“Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.”
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Congrats on your new FJR, good choice, (if you can afford) keep the Strom it's also a great second bike for different kind of fun...ask me how I know
Cheers

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 06:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Tire pressure: Many of us have through trial and error settled on tire pressures in the neighborhood of 40FR/42RR instead of the stock 36/42.

Handlebar risers: The previous owner of my barely used 2013 installed an MCL (now defunct) riser plate on it. It moves the handlebar ends up and back about

1 1/2 inches. It may not be perfect, but this is the first bike in 50 years that has not left me with a sharp pain between my shoulder blades after 2 or 3 hours.

If you would like to try the stock handlebar risers, my PO included them. I can send them to you for an extended trial if you wish.

Weight on the wrists?
1. You may get used to it.
2. If you have the stock seat, the contour of it may push you into the tank and into the handlebars.
3. You may be able to develop enough core strength to lift your weight off your wrists.

The FJR is a little top heavy, especially in slow speed corners below 3 - 5 mph. You also quickly learn not topark where you will need to back out up hill. OTOH, in the twisties, a good FJR rider can run away and hide from a mediocre CBR600RR rider.
esblow likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 08:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:

Cheers,
Eric
That's it! We're leaving!!

Just kidding, welcome to the forum. I take it that you had gotten a '16? I had the same issue with weight on the wrists, I installed Helibars for the FJR and that corrected any weight on the wrists. You'll get used to the top heavy, so you should get frame sliders/protectors immediately for those tip over occasions, that will happen. Good luck and good rides.
esblow likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page