Hello from West Texas - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hello from West Texas

New guy FJR wanna be. Im coming from the duel sport world and have been jonesN for an
fjr for a long time. Going down to look at a pair of them on Sat. A 2014 red with 18k on the clock and a 2011 liquid silver with 24k miles. The 2014 looks new , I'll ride them both .
9k for the 14 and 7k for the 2011. Wish me luck, Hope I get the covid price.

Mike in Midland
skippy344! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hello fellow Texan.

Go for the 2014, but I think you can do better on the price. $9k is a little much for a '14 and for that matter, you can definitely do better than $7k for an '11 with 24k miles. You also have to worry about the valve adjustment service due for that 2011.

Peter from Aubrey
skippy344! and 2014oldred like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Let me clarify that; IF that '14 is pristine and all records are there, and especially if it is an ES, then it's probably worth it. I didn't want to imply it 'couldn't' be worth it. :P

Edit: So you're looking at the ones in Kerrville correct? Both the '14 and '11 are there and the mileage matches up with your description. It says make offer, so I would definitely make an offer they can't refuse.

Here's one in Choctaw OK; it's a 2013 Gen 3 for the same price as that Gen 2 and $2k less than the 2014 you're looking at:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...30616941345377

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)

Last edited by maximrebel; 10-29-2020 at 01:36 AM.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks, good tp know.

M
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 02:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

By the way, welcome to the forum. Here's the thing; it depends on whether you're willing to wait a little. The reason I said it's too high is because a month or two down the line, and especially between December and January, that's when you can get the best deals with owners dumping their 'toys' to pay for bills (and the riding season is a ways away). Right now everyone is still hoping to get more $$$ with a hint of riding weather and before the onslaught of inevitable used bikes getting thrown in the market place.

All that is well and good, but what something is worth all depends on your perception and if YOU think it's worth it. If you find that perfect match for you, then by all means get it. This year may be different as well with the pandemic and stock is lower than usual with more people turning to riding.

If you like the one in Kerrville, just make sure they don't have tons of fees on top of the price before you travel all that way. You should be okay with a used bike (since that usually happens with new bikes), but just make sure you know what their OTD (out the door) price will be - that way you won't be surprised when you are actually standing there. In the end it's hard to go wrong with just about any FJR, just trying to give you some advice.

Good luck with whatever FJR you choose and if you have further questions, ask and the many great forum members here will provide plenty of answers .
skippy344! likes this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 02:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hello fellow West Texan. I'm originally from Odessa but I escaped the clutches of the desert. I left for greener pastures (literally).

How's the riding situation out there? My brother is still in Midland and he parked his motorcycle pretty much permanently until the boom comes back down. He's actually looking at moving out of Midland because of how crazy it is.

Welcome and good luck on your FJR quest. They're badass bikes.
skippy344! likes this.

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 02:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanbelt View Post
New guy FJR wanna be. Im coming from the duel sport world and have been jonesN for an
fjr for a long time. Going down to look at a pair of them on Sat. A 2014 red with 18k on the clock and a 2011 liquid silver with 24k miles. The 2014 looks new , I'll ride them both .
9k for the 14 and 7k for the 2011. Wish me luck, Hope I get the covid price.

Mike in Midland
Okay Mike, I'm sorry for posting again but something didn't look right on that 2014 FJR that they have listed as an 'ES' model. That is NOT an ES for starters, so they are advertising it incorrectly. The forks are silver and that means it is an FJR1300A model that does not have the Electronic Suspension (hence ES); the ES has black forks that are inverted (upside-down). Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but this also means it is not worth as much as an ES.

Also, I noticed that the Yamaha emblem on the right hand side saddlebag is missing, which usually means that the bike has been down on that side before. If you go look at it (presuming this is indeed the bike you are looking at Saturday), take a good look at the mirror(s) for scratches, the fairing(s) and the saddlebag itself. The fact that the emblem is missing from that side is a tell-tale sign that it was knocked off while it was on the ground.

I'm adding a pic of that bike in case that is the one you are looking at; I circled the possible scratches with yellow circles and pointed out the forks that say this is an "A" model and not an "ES". Just don't want anyone to be taken advantage of, I think that's why you asked your question here I hope. If per chance this is not the bike...then I wasted my time and ignore my post.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just a comment, many lost the emblem on the right side saddlebag chrome. The adhesive used was crap, bags heated up in the sun when parked, loosened the adhesive, the black emblems fell off.
Scratches on the upper fairing means it was tipped over at some point most likely, also means it MAY have had crash bars on at one time, otherwise the lower part would definitely have been damaged in a tipover.
I wouldn't be too worried about buying it, as I'd be more concerned if a bike was in a crash. That lower fairing part isn't a ton of money but the price of the bike has to come down... my opinion.
Regardless, remember there is always a deal out there if you are patient.
maximrebel, passx and skippy344! like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yep, what Ray said. mines missing on the same side. Im not to anal about those kinda things so doesnt really matter to me. If i found a bargain on ones thats scratched but good mechanically id buy it. I dropped mine in the garage the first day i had it home & broke the nose piece ( it fell into some scaffolding) 6 yrs ago, i might fix it someday.
maximrebel likes this.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Just a comment, many lost the emblem on the right side saddlebag chrome. The adhesive used was crap, bags heated up in the sun when parked, loosened the adhesive, the black emblems fell off.
Scratches on the upper fairing means it was tipped over at some point most likely, also means it MAY have had crash bars on at one time, otherwise the lower part would definitely have been damaged in a tipover.
I wouldn't be too worried about buying it, as I'd be more concerned if a bike was in a crash. That lower fairing part isn't a ton of money but the price of the bike has to come down... my opinion.
Regardless, remember there is always a deal out there if you are patient.
Good points, if that's the case (pun intended) then hopefully that's the only reason the emblem is no longer there. I haven't lost any of those unless it was my doing , did not know they fall off by themselves as well. I'm not sure if there are scratches, it's hard to see since the pics they posted are not very sharp when you zoom in. Just make sure you do your due diligence and use any information you can to lower the price; both of these are at the same dealer so you can use that to your advantage.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page