New guy - just bought a '14 FJR1300A! - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 12:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockFJRider14 View Post
I watched the vid I linked above from TwoWheeledObsession - pretty straight forward procedure and well within my abilities, will plan to get it done sometime this winter.

Gonna check out this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM083YoWR4

At first glance looks like a lot more complex than I may be interested in doing. Bummer he mentions its a $1k service at the dealer!?!?!?!

Absolutely Do Not follow that video for the lifting on the seat bracket!!
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...-disaster.html

It may be expensive at the dealer since they would take half the bike apart and remove the headers. Meanwhile, if you have a method to lift the bike properly, most of that labour is saved.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
FWIW I used nothing but "car oil" in my fjr for 11 yrs until that mfr quit supplying the weights I want. 137+ Kmiles and still all factory clutch components. Same with the Kaw before this. And the Honda before that. And the Kaw before that. And... And...
Just because some of you have found you can get away with using "car oil' in some bikes, doesn't make it a good idea.
I'm not exactly a newbie to bikes either. I rode my first in 1965 and have been riding and maintaining them ever since.
A lot of people have had problems doing this and it's generally considered a bad idea.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
Just because some of you have found you can get away with using "car oil' in some bikes, doesn't make it a good idea.
I'm not exactly a newbie to bikes either. I rode my first in 1965 and have been riding and maintaining them ever since.
A lot of people have had problems doing this and it's generally considered a bad idea.
Geez, chill man. Your bike, your choice. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything they're not comfortable with. But there are many exceptional choices of oils. It's not "a bad idea" if a non-energy conserving oil is used. According to the new and used engine oil analyses I've had done there is virtually no difference in chemical composition between the car and motorcycle oils I've used. The internet and "old school" hype & sales pitches aren't necessarily 100% accurate either.
passx and RedRockFJRider14 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Got the bike out today and was able to stretch it's legs a bit - 170 miles this morning, mostly interstate and back desert highway.

Still getting used the weight around the garage and low speed maneuvers - have been wishing the bike was about 100 lbs lighter, but today on the highway cruising at 80-85mph, could see how the weight is very beneficial, especially on our windy western highways (had some pretty strong gusts today).

LOVE the cruise control, this is the first bike I've ever had real cruise control on (in the 80's and 90's I had those attachments that would lock your throttle setting in place, and basically keep you from getting tired pulling against the throttle spring resistance), and it was GREAT. Found myself using it MOST of the ride except when in traffic. While the bike is very smooth, there were enough vibrations that the pinky and ring finger on my right hand were tingling/going to sleep towards the end of my ride. Perhaps thicker gloves, or foam grips?

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good to know you're getting to know the bike... next practice slow speed manoeuvers in a big parking lot, carefully of course.
Foam grip covers will help, as will a proper throttle body sync. Going all out, next valve check, re-shim all the valve clearances to be the same as that will affect sync. Not a lot else you can do.
I've found on Gen3 (uses minimal vacuum as reference), the reference screw (paint on it) needs to be backed out a hair to get all in sync, or pick a new reference screw.... the one that is turned in fully... may have to play a bit to find the right one, but one screw needs to be turned in fully.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome Joe good looking 2014 my favorite color, wish we could could purchase Gen III AE in the USA I would own a 2014 AE.
FastPappy likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 11:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Red, how many miles on that red beauty ? The reason I ask is my bike got a lot smoother with added miles, calmed downs on the vibration a lot after 10k.

In addition to all of Ray’s great suggestions above you might sit down on a rainy day with a few adult beverages and your shop manual and go over the fastener torques and make sure things are indeed tight. On my 14a it vibrated the worst of any fjr I had ridden and I found one of the muffler mounts loose, torquing it up to spec helped a noticeable amount.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks fellas!

passx that sounds like a plan - already planning sometime this winter to do the head bearing check/grease, and trying to decide if I'm gonna go for the gusto and do the rear suspension swingarm - little worried I will get the bike half disassembled and find I'm having trouble getting it back together.....

Bike just turned 16k miles, bought it at 15,700 and have put about 600 miles on it.

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just got back from a quick 160 mile jaunt to test out a gel pad addition to the stock seat -

Gonna make another thread with pics on that, in case anybody else wants to give it a shot.

Have now put just over 900 miles on the bike in the last three weeks - a couple of comments:

1. LOVE the cruise control
2. LOVE the windshield, especially the quick and easy electric adjustments
3. getting some discomfort in my elbows and a bit at the base of my neck between shoulder blades after an hour or more in the saddle - gonna go ahead and add some bar risers/spacers.
These are rated well on Amazon, and are a cheap solution, so ordering a pair today:

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

That is a beautiful bike..When I bought mine ..if it weren't for the mind numbing deal I got ..I would have shopped for that color

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page