New guy - just bought a '14 FJR1300A! - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 10:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only real difference is Sport is more twitchy/immediate, and Touring just takes more twist of the wrist to get to the same place. Touring is way too tame for me, lol, rarely used it. Ivan mode is in between.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Pic from Friday's ride
mattemike likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 04:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I really enjoyed my 2014A. I hope you enjoy yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockFJRider14 View Post
Hello All,

New owner of a clean 2014 FJR1300A.

While researching the bike over the last few months, was directed to this forum again and again - lots of good info here!

A little background, was an avid motorcycle rider from my teenage years up until about 30, (didn't even own a car until I was 26), with probably 100k miles on various street bikes during that time. Bikes I owned included an '83 Honda XL250, 82 Yamaha Seca 750, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 85 Honda Nighthawk S, 90 Suzuki 750 Katana, and an 89 Yamaha FJ1200.

Gave up motorcycles when I turned 30, a couple of years after getting married, and a couple of years before starting a family.

Wife always knew I would eventually get one, and now in my early 50's, figure the clock is running out, so have been doing some research for several months. Was looking very hard at a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, with the FJR1300 always a consideration for the type of riding I plan on doing - and when a clean, low miles, private sale came available, I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

Have actually only been riding it around my neighborhood - like a bonehead, when I moved to my current state after getting out of the military and turned in my old license, I opted not to pay to have the "motorcycle endorsement" moved to my new license, as it was added expense, and I had no plans to get a motorcycle for a long time. Come to find out it is a huge hassle to get one, and I am working on that now.

Looking forward to spending lots of time on this forum learning the intricacies of my new machine from the more experienced hands around here!

Joe

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

New shoes.

Michelin Pilot Road 4's.

$444.48 out the door, seemed like a decent price.

The Pilot Road 2's that were on the bike still had about 50% tread left, but the manufacture date code was from 2014, and there was enough dry rot, including a line right down the center of the front tire, circumferentially around the entire tire, that I could feel with my fingernail, that I decided it would be wise to invest in new rubber.
passx likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Steve, I respectfully & HEAVILY disagree. Ive read that in different places, but its not my experience at all. I put it in touring mode when shes on back cuz it tames it down quite a bit so were not smacking helmets.
Jim, I understand as I felt the same way back when I bought my 14a, but I’ll add that when the “modes” thing first came out. Yamaha confirmed that it was just throttle response that was affected after questions from the bike magazine reviews and a number of dyno runs in both modes showed that they were indeed the same output.

I will add thought that since the “sport” mode is 1-1 you will get to full power much quicker than you will in the dampened “tour” mode so it should be slightly quicker. But there ain’t no mo power. I’ll add that once I got used to my bike I only ride in the “sport” mode because with the exception of rain or a slick surface the “tour” mode is just boring.

Red,I think you’ll like those PR4’s they are a bit softer feeling but they seem to last the best, I have over 13k on my front pr4 which helps offset the ridiculously high prices. Over twice the miles of the oe Stone. By the way I run 40psi both front & rear.
2GENAE and RedRockFJRider14 like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 11-17-2020 at 06:32 PM.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
New shoes.

Michelin Pilot Road 4's.

$444.48 out the door, seemed like a decent price.

The Pilot Road 2's that were on the bike still had about 50% tread left, but the manufacture date code was from 2014, and there was enough dry rot, including a line right down the center of the front tire, circumferentially around the entire tire, that I could feel with my fingernail, that I decided it would be wise to invest in new rubber.
That line in the center is a good thing. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...cle-tire-faqs/
RedRockFJRider14 likes this.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'll be damned!

Learn something new every day!

Geez now I wonder if I could have ridden those other tires for awhile - my bad for not posting up pics and asking the forum.

The guy I bought the bike from wasn't the most, shall we say, mechanically inclined - he "showed me" how to check tire pressure by pushing on the tread with his foot. I checked the pressures right after he was gone and both tires were running about 20-25 PSI (he only owned the bike for 16-18 months and 1500 miles, so thinking he never checked the pressures), and I was concerned running them that low in the Vegas heat had possibly damaged the tires internally, along with the 2014 date code and signs of dry rot. In any event I feel a lot more confident now knowing I'm rolling on brand new 2020 date code high quality Michelins with the proper pressure - can't put a price on peace of mind when it comes to tires....
passx likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Rather not deal with that stress, hence taking the MSF Basic Course in lieu of it. Probably the same course I had to take 30 years ago to get riding privileges at one of the bases I was stationed at - I remember doing the cones, lol!
I am guessing you weren't stationed on Ft. Bliss, TX in the mid-80s. By then I had been riding nearly 20 years all over the eastern USA. The post CG was tired of having young soldiers crack up on Transmountain Road so he set up a really hard course you had to pass if you wanted to ride on post. Otherwise, you had to park inside one of the entry gates and walk. Ft. Bliss is really spread out.The MDDC course was harder than the MSF Advanced Rider course I later took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Steve, I respectfully & HEAVILY disagree. Ive read that in different places, but its not my experience at all. I put it in touring mode when shes on back cuz it tames it down quite a bit so were not smacking helmets.
MamaYama and the dynos disagree with you. You get the same amount of power. The only difference is how quickly you get that power. I liken it to the difference between a quarter turn throttle and a half turn throttle.

Red, what are you using for tire pressures? Most of us have settled around 40FR/42RR. Most of us think that the book recommendation of 36FR is too low.
passx likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Last edited by JohnC; 11-17-2020 at 06:19 PM.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Lived on Fort Bliss for a year in the 70's as an Army Brat while my dad went to the Sergeant Majors academy (either that or Master Sergeant/ 1st Sergeants academy, I was in 1st grade so don't remember.)

I was in the Army in the late 80's but had to take the course while stationed at Goodfellow AFB in Texas.

And now that I've taken the MSF Basic Course I can say that the military's course WAS harder. Lots more braking on curves and stuff at speed - they had an entire airstrip that was not in use, so lots of room. Wasn't a problem for me at the time, other than my heavy ass V45 Sabre wasn't the best bike for that type of maneuvers (it was very top heavy) as I had grown up riding dirt bikes and already been riding street bikes for about 3-4 years and tens of thousands of miles at the time. My roommate who had a Suzuki GS550 and had been riding for over a year flunked it and had to retake it, lol.

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200

Last edited by RedRockFJRider14; 11-17-2020 at 09:26 PM.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:35 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Beautiful bike and I love that trunk.

Mike

2018 FJR1300ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page