New guy - just bought a '14 FJR1300A! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 12:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Welcome, i would suggest some type of tip over protection. Good looking ride, I know! LOL
How many miles were on her? I luckily had never let my "M" endorsement expire. Over the years I seen how progressively difficult it was becoming of getting a motorcycle license or endorsement. When I had gotten mine, you had to pass the written and got a temporary. I was able to ride up alone to my road test. Tester stood in spot and you had to do a large figure 8 within cones. If you didn't touch one cone, you passed and got your endorsement immediately. How that tested one for street riding, I don't know.

As I said, large figure 8. Going from mini bikes to dirt riding to street, a figure 8 I could have done in my sleep. Nowadays, fugetaboutit. Knowing what I know now, even today's riding test still doesn't prepare for actual street riding but it is much closer than it used to be. The only true test is accumulated experience and constant practice and most of all, good luck!

Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your licensing.
passx likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 02:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome back to the 2 wheeled crazy crew! I'm not that long into my FJR journey myself, but this place & this machine is awesome.

She looks brand new. Do you have the side cases/saddlebags?

2013 FJR1300A
2014 Vstar 1300 Tourer
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Welcome! Briefly had a 14ES & it'll always be my favorite color. Enjoy your new ride & I suggest formal rider training to get your basic skills well engrained.
Are there any specific courses you recommend?

Taking the Basic Rider Course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at the local community college next weekend. The course is 2- hours on Friday night, then all day Saturday and Sunday, and they even have bikes to ride (I believe 250cc street bikes). Taking this will allow me to skip the DMV written test, then permit, and then the riders test at the DMV - anything that limits my dealing with the DMV is preferable, lol. Just need to turn in a course completion certificate to get the motorcycle endorsement back on my drivers license.

The course is geared for new riders (not sure if you read my entire post, although I am a bit rusty, with over 100,000 accident free miles on bikes from 250cc to 1200cc over the course of about 15 years, thinking I probably don't fit the "new rider" category all that well), but I am hoping that I still might learn or be reminded of some useful tips.

As I have taught both of my kids to drive (schools didn't offer Drivers Ed., and I didn't see the value in paying for a private driving school), I often told them I credited my defensive driving skills with having learned the rules of the road and having my initial several years of experience on a motorcycle, where I learned to EXPECT people to not see me and to pull out in front of me, etc, and to alway plan an exit route should that happen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
You gotta ditch those silver side covers!! Love the smuggler.
Wow that looks nice!

Did you get them custom painted at an auto body shop? or are they sold that way somewhere?

cost?
Little Joe likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Good looking bike and welcome to the forum!
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Just joined myself, had some great advice from the friendly guys, youíll love the bike, few things can be improved on, but is a great tourer,
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The side covers became available in red.... check Partzilla, $85 each.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

First and most importantly Thank you for serving our country and Welcome to the forum.

Great bike, great color its not just a great tourer itís a great do anything bike. Best of all going forward it has a super low cost of ownership. Have fun and be safe.
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Welcome, i would suggest some type of tip over protection. Good looking ride, I know! LOL
How many miles were on her? I luckily had never let my "M" endorsement expire. Over the years I seen how progressively difficult it was becoming of getting a motorcycle license or endorsement. When I had gotten mine, you had to pass the written and got a temporary. I was able to ride up alone to my road test. Tester stood in spot and you had to do a large figure 8 within cones. If you didn't touch one cone, you passed and got your endorsement immediately. How that tested one for street riding, I don't know.

As I said, large figure 8. Going from mini bikes to dirt riding to street, a figure 8 I could have done in my sleep. Nowadays, fugetaboutit. Knowing what I know now, even today's riding test still doesn't prepare for actual street riding but it is much closer than it used to be. The only true test is accumulated experience and constant practice and most of all, good luck!

Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your licensing.
Thanks!

Was thinking the same thing about tipover protection - I've seen a couple of different types on listings, gonna have to do some research on that - do you have a brand that you are partial to? Ideally that doesn't break the bank and is easily owner installed? Have only ever dropped one bike (not crashed, just dropped at under walking speed when turning it around in a dirt/gravel area - the '82 V45 Sabre that I noted in my initial post - I loved that bike and rode it halfway across the country and back - but it was a pig, a bit underpowered, very top heavy (the V4 engine was narrow relative to an inline-4, but the weight was carried higher, with a wet weight of 542 lbs according to a quick look at the specs). So while no stranger to big bikes, I have noticed the FJR is a bit of a handful at parking lot speeds and in the garage.

15,700 miles on the clock, not bad for the year.

Yes I found some info on the DMV riding test here, and apparently a lot of whether or not you pass seems to be dependent on the mood of the tester that day......
Also thinking the FJR is not the most ideal bike to be taking a low speed, tight boundary riding course on...
Rather not deal with that stress, hence taking the MSF Basic Course in lieu of it. Probably the same course I had to take 30 years ago to get riding privileges at one of the bases I was stationed at - I remember doing the cones, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtap View Post
Welcome back to the 2 wheeled crazy crew! I'm not that long into my FJR journey myself, but this place & this machine is awesome.

She looks brand new. Do you have the side cases/saddlebags?

Thanks! Yes excellent condition for a 6.5 year old bike - that clinched my decision to buy!
Only under very close scrutiny can you see a couple of small "garage mishap" type scratches on the paint, and on one of the saddlebags (the last owner admitted scraping it when trying to squeeze into his garage past his car). I took the bags off right away, I know some guys leave them on, but I only plan on putting them on if going on an overnight or long distance trip.

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200

Last edited by RedRockFJRider14; 10-29-2020 at 10:14 AM.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 11:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockFJRider14 View Post
Thanks for all the kind words of welcome, guys!

Are there any specific courses you recommend?

Taking the Basic Rider Course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at the local community college next weekend. The course is 2- hours on Friday night, then all day Saturday and Sunday, and they even have bikes to ride (I believe 250cc street bikes). Taking this will allow me to skip the DMV written test, then permit, and then the riders test at the DMV - anything that limits my dealing with the DMV is preferable, lol. Just need to turn in a course completion certificate to get the motorcycle endorsement back on my drivers license.

The course is geared for new riders (not sure if you read my entire post, although I am a bit rusty, with over 100,000 accident free miles on bikes from 250cc to 1200cc over the course of about 15 years, thinking I probably don't fit the "new rider" category all that well), but I am hoping that I still might learn or be reminded of some useful tips.

As I have taught both of my kids to drive (schools didn't offer Drivers Ed., and I didn't see the value in paying for a private driving school), I often told them I credited my defensive driving skills with having learned the rules of the road and having my initial several years of experience on a motorcycle, where I learned to EXPECT people to not see me and to pull out in front of me, etc, and to alway plan an exit route should that happen).

Wow that looks nice!

Did you get them custom painted at an auto body shop? or are they sold that way somewhere?

cost?
3P6-Y2171-00-P6
3P6-Y2171-00-P7

I think Garauld can paint your covers and he does great work. Might be less expensive but you have to figure freight both ways on top of his work. It was easier for me to just order the panels.
passx and 2GENAE like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page