New FJR Owner - Austin, TX - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer59 View Post
Congratulations on your new to you FJR, and welcome to the forum!
With 2,400 miles, and "bone stock" it likely has the factory original, 18 year old tires. Check the date codes. Even if they look "good", replace them. Your life is worth more than a set of tires.
And before helibar riser, and an aftermarket seat invest in a set of engine, and panier guards.
If you need a recommendation on which tires, oil, fuel, wax, deodorant, etc. is best, just ask![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
It does indeed have the original tires on it. Definitely something I will address soon. I appreciate the reminder guys.

John

John Schmidt
USAF First Sergeant, Retired (24 years)
Current Ride: 2003 Yamaha FJR1300

Previous Rides:
2007 Goldwing
2002 Goldwing
2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2002 Harley Davidson Sportster
2000 Suzuki TL1000R
1994 Yamaha FZR1000
1987 Yamaha V-Max
1983 Suzuki GS850L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnsheilaschmidt View Post
Just got my first FJR this week after years of Goldwings, Harleys and sport bikes. Picked up a Silver 2003 with 2400 miles for a great deal. Bone stock so far, going to add Heli-Bar risers and a taller windscreen soon. Thinking of a Russell Seat for me and the Mrs. once I save up some extra cash and can keep from riding it for a few weeks.

John
as always with the first gen you need to make sure you have a updated CCT since the old ones go bad and ruin your motor you can spot the newer cct's by a colored dot on the side of it either blue or green the cct is located on the right side of the engine there are a lot of threads on this site talking about how to change it and where its at all the good stuff and if the heat from the engine is bothering you there are some mods you can do that make it a bit less gruesome
eitherway welcome to the forum and enjoy the bike
cheers
Thanks for the heads up on the CCT. Will take a look, but I can almost guarantee it is the original CCT. Bought this bike from an 80 year old doctor who barely rode it as he had a stable of bikes.

He did have all maintenance up to date to include fluids, radiator flushed, new battery and fuel system cleaned and checked. I think I got a steal and already know I will love this bike for years to come.

John

John Schmidt

Previous Rides:
2007 Goldwing
2002 Goldwing
2000 Suzuki TL1000R
1994 Yamaha FZR1000
1987 Yamaha V-Max
1983 Suzuki GS850L
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I love how everyone is so willing to spend your money!

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.
skippy344! likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ha, isn't that the way it always works? LOL.

Thanks for all the welcomes to the Forum. I am looking forward to learning all I can about this FJR from all of you who have been riding, maintaining and loving this bike for quite a while.

Definitely up for some group rides around the Hill Country if I get the chance to meet up with some fellow FJR owners. If not, my better half and I will be riding on the weekends to as many BBQ joints as we can.

Few things I have put on the mandatory list, some out of necessity and some out of an old surgically repaired back:

- Heli-Bar Risers
- Tires (only 2400 miles on them, but they are indeed 18 years old)
- Reflective 3M tape for panniers and trunk (Austin is bad for cagers not paying attention to motorcycles)

I will take the guards into consideration. Never had a problem with dropping my Goldwings or other heavy bikes, so not sure I will need them, but I understand the insurance against damaging these beautiful panels and panniers.
2GENAE likes this.

John Schmidt

Previous Rides:
2007 Goldwing
2002 Goldwing
2000 Suzuki TL1000R
1994 Yamaha FZR1000
1987 Yamaha V-Max
1983 Suzuki GS850L
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Real Time Industries has some really cool reflective decals for the FJR. Check them out
https://www.realtimeindustries.com/fjr1300/
Boomer59 likes this.

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnsheilaschmidt View Post
I will take the guards into consideration. Never had a problem with dropping my Goldwings or other heavy bikes, so not sure I will need them, but I understand the insurance against damaging these beautiful panels and panniers.
There are two types of motorcyclist: Those who have dropped their bike and those who will drop their bike. If I were you I'd visit T-Rex Racing (located in Dallas) and purchase their cages and bag protectors. You'll be doing yourself and your local economy a favour.

Haynes
2GENAE likes this.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page