• 1 Post By speed-demon
  • 1 Post By ronheater1970
  • 1 Post By bounce
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Decent bike finally!

Hi All moved to Germany just over 2 years ago and thought I'd buy a bmw as I see so many on the road. Big mistake! Never again. Always had Japanese bikes and I think moving forward will be that way now. Just bought myself an FJR1300 2005 what a brilliant machine. My last yamaha was back in the late 80s RD 125! During my dispatch riding days in London and never had mechanical issues with it so here I am 2020 with my 2nd Yamaha. Ride from frankfurt to cologne and back for work and boy do I love the bike. I'm wondering should I if bought gen 3 rather than gen 1. Any ideas on benefits? By the way it's rapid too!

Thanks guys also CCT is the new one I checked before I bought it!
RaYzerman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Wow, what a commute! 2.25 hours on A3? I bet that is a fun ride, though!!

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed-demon View Post
Hi All moved to Germany just over 2 years ago and thought I'd buy a bmw as I see so many on the road. Big mistake! Never again. Always had Japanese bikes and I think moving forward will be that way now. Just bought myself an FJR1300 2005 what a brilliant machine. My last yamaha was back in the late 80s RD 125! During my dispatch riding days in London and never had mechanical issues with it so here I am 2020 with my 2nd Yamaha. Ride from frankfurt to cologne and back for work and boy do I love the bike. I'm wondering should I if bought gen 3 rather than gen 1. Any ideas on benefits? By the way it's rapid too!

Thanks guys also CCT is the new one I checked before I bought it!
Of course newer Gens have some benefits, but seems like you are tickled (as most of us are with our FJR's) so it should matter not! Enjoy it!
skippy344! likes this.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Hi All moved to Germany just over 2 years ago and thought I'd buy a bmw as I see so many on the road. Big mistake! Never again.
can you elaborate a bit on what was wrong with the beemer, and what year model did you get?

p.s. also how do you like my Vstrom swing arm sticker?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200922_091742.jpg (640.7 KB, 23 views)

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 09:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Maybe this?

cra-z1 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 09:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Somebody neglected the moly paste on their splines with that odd articulating joint.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow bounce! Is that really flames ? Was that yours? What year/model GS ? Did BMW make good on that? Wow!

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Somebody neglected the moly paste on their splines with that odd articulating joint.
This was one of those redesigned final drives. After years of BMW claiming they didn't know of problems [and at least 1 BMW per IBR leaving their rider stranded for final drive failures for several (ever other year) rallies] they then came out with a design that was "maint free for life" and no fill/drain plugs. Clearly BMW's definition of "life" was different than these people understood it to be. BMW later redesigned it again and continue to claim they know nothing about failures while also questioning owners of failed bikes to try and lay blame on them any way they can.

Not mine because I'd already heard all the horror stories about thin dealership network throughout the US, drop-everything-to-help-travelers customer support only being extended once they checked with your local dealership to see if you were a "good customer" (ie: buy from them and get all services through them), and these final drive failures. Why would I pay a premium to purchase (and service) such things?

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 09-24-2020 at 11:00 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 02:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Some of the failures I read about were at the articulating joint because the spline wasn't lubed and wouldn't slide, stressed out the bearings. I was not aware of "maintenance free for life".... would drive me away as a bike customer right away if I ever heard that.
Ha, BMW said recently they have a drive chain "for life"..... bwaaaaahhhaaaa!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Quote:
Hi All moved to Germany just over 2 years ago and thought I'd buy a bmw as I see so many on the road. Big mistake! Never again.
can you elaborate a bit on what was wrong with the beemer, and what year model did you get?

p.s. also how do you like my Vstrom swing arsticker? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Hi sorry for the late reply... K1200rs 1997 had only 40k km on the clock. Started off cutting out intermittent was annoying especially overtaking. Ended up being ignition coil. Then clutch fluid leaking was master cylinder bottom end. Grinding noise from final drive. Oil thirsty. Cooling radiator fan packed up temp light flickering service repair costs astronomical. Having spoken to others guy with brand new GS1200 couldn't open fuel tank in Italy and another on my way back from the UK on a service station was pouring half a litre of oil into his new K1600GT. I asked the guy if all was OK and he said yes no problem the bike needs half a litre every 3000km by design! After I thought I'm good to go now on mine I notice an oil leak between gearbox and engine and oil level low so I thought that's it not to mention they done a massive recall on new BMW's due to break fluid leak list goes on and on.
BTW love the sticker!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page