Newbie with a 2017 ES - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rasmuw

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Newbie with a 2017 ES

Way back when, I owned a Honda 360, followed by a Yamaha 650 Maxim. I got out of biking for a while, then re-entered with a 750 Maxim. I sold the 750 after the acquisition of a '94 ST1100 in 2001. I sold the ST a couple of years ago, after more than 100K to various destinations. Missing the riding experience, I found a 2017 ES with 4K on the odometer and purchased it today. I'm looking forward to some long rides with some old friends.

Wayne
2017 ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome and congrats!!! Great choice,

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Before others ask, might you add location to your particulars? It helps sometimes to understand context of your posts.

Perhaps this link will take you there? https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/pro...do=editprofile

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I picked the bike up on Tuesday and rode it home from Des Plaines, IL to NJ. What a tremendous upgrade over the older ST. I especially appreciated how much easier it was to negotiate parking lots and tight slow turns. The only drawbacks are the stock seat and the lack of wind protection for my feet. They got a little chilly, but maybe they were falling asleep due to the uncomfortable saddle. I will probably try removing the cover, shaving some foam off, adding a gel pad, and recovering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott at Des Plaines Honda.jpg (315.0 KB, 6 views)

Wayne
2017 ES
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 11:21 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Welcome newbie ,I am also a newbie still have my training wheels ,2 1/2 weeks ago bought my first 2016 FJR1300 es with 25,000 kms ,the bike came with a yamaha touring windshield which imo does a great job of blocking the wind & almost zero helmet buffeting ,I am 5'9" and with the windshield in the highest position i am looking through the windshield about 4 " from the top & with the electric windshield can lower it where it's completely out of the line of sight allowing full wind ,also the last owner had installed a Seth Laam custom seat which I fine very comfortable on long rides & with the seat position @ it's lowest setting can have both feet flat on the ground when stopped ,I recently purchased & installed a set of helibar handlebar risers ,I have them in the center position which makes the bars 1" higher ,21/4 " rearwards & 1 1/2" wider than original width ,the 67 year old shoulders and wrist welcome the new addition as it definitely reduces pressure on the shoulders ,wrist and palms, yesterday @ 27 ,825 kms (17,390 miles ) I replaced the original plugs with the oem NGKR- CPR8EA-9, yamaha reccomends changing every 8,000 miles ,the plugs looked fine with the normal brown tan colour ,the gap was in range ,also replaced the air filter as the original filter was quite dusty although it is just reccomended to blow it clean with hi-pressure air . also changed the final drive gear oil ,if planning on doing your own service check this video on you tube
,this guy has many hi-quality & easy to follow videos showing how to do the service ,also has a website called two wheeled obsession ,worth a visit .my last sport tourer was a 2015 Kawasaki concours 1400 which is a fine bike in all respects but imo the yammy just seems to fit better .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I picked up a 2017 ES a few months back with 2600 miles and am loving it. Funny, my first ever bike was a used Maxim 650.

Enjoy!

Purveyor of crooked facts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page