Should I wait? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Should I wait?

I am ready to buy an FJR. I have been set on buying a 2013 to get the throttle by wire, digital dash, and cruise control. The ones within a 500 mile drive from me are starting at just under $7k with near 30k+ miles on them. However, I found a one-owner 2005 with 40k on it. It has new brakes, new shocks, new fork seals, new tires, aftermarket electronic cruise control, heated grips, 3 windshields, all the bags, HID lighting, all the trimmings. He is asking $4,200. Is the 2013 improved enough that it is worth the extra $3k considering the perfect condition and total maintenance records of the 2005?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Former '05 FJR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnKarl View Post
I am ready to buy an FJR. I have been set on buying a 2013 to get the throttle by wire, digital dash, and cruise control. The ones within a 500 mile drive from me are starting at just under $7k with near 30k+ miles on them. However, I found a one-owner 2005 with 40k on it. It has new brakes, new shocks, new fork seals, new tires, aftermarket electronic cruise control, heated grips, 3 windshields, all the bags, HID lighting, all the trimmings. He is asking $4,200. Is the 2013 improved enough that it is worth the extra $3k considering the perfect condition and total maintenance records of the 2005?

The price seems high, even with everything, especially for a 15 year old machine. However, as a former '05 owner, I discourage you not because of the machine's age rather for the engine heat issue. I've written several times on this topic trying to discourage the purchase of this model year. At the time, my FJR was the bomb and I had 85K+ (nearly) trouble-free miles over 11 years. Awesome awesome machine and I rode it from Spring '05 through Summer '16.

The heat issue was solved in circa '07/'08. There are so many later models to choose from that I would pass on the '05 just because of the engine heat. No matter how many shields, how much wrapping, or other means will decrease the heat. My '05 just ran hot. She also ran (nearly) flawlessly and it was a great run and we didn't have any choice back then. You have choices now and I would hesitate to buy that model cohort at that advertised price.

Keep up posted, please.
Patrick
Bernie likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

I can not ride anything without cruise control. For me its a necessity.

The big question is. "what will happen in 6 months with the economy?"
People who have taken the deferred mortgage/rent for 6 month on either their business or home will be required to repay those soon. Business that have been closed for 6 months who could have survived 5 months are closing.

If things do not open soon, real soon, there will be a huge sell off of personal assets. The first to go will be toys. Prices will drop significantly. Maybe as much as 50%. I am interested in picking up a gold wing but I am waiting until the end of the year to see what the market is doing.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 12:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd go with the '13 and up.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I can not ride anything without cruise control. For me its a necessity.

The big question is. "what will happen in 6 months with the economy?"
People who have taken the deferred mortgage/rent for 6 month on either their business or home will be required to repay those soon. Business that have been closed for 6 months who could have survived 5 months are closing.

If things do not open soon, real soon, there will be a huge sell off of personal assets. The first to go will be toys. Prices will drop significantly. Maybe as much as 50%. I am interested in picking up a gold wing but I am waiting until the end of the year to see what the market is doing.
Mike what year is yours ..if a second gen did you add the CC .. I have only seen an add - on that is $800 .. a bit too steep for me.. even though I plan on going seattle to orlando again in 2021 ..it would be nice

2010 FJR 1300
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Chicago, thank you for your input. I am already holding out for a better deal. I also agree with Mobile Mike. I will wait for the eviction tsunami and hope a 2013 becomes available in my budget. I am hoping after mid January and before SS checks come out.
Chicago_FJR likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

I was in a similar position, buy a very low miles '15 or spend $3k more for a low miles '19 which made more sense. Good luck on your quest.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 10:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Mike what year is yours ..if a second gen did you add the CC .. I have only seen an add - on that is $800 .. a bit too steep for me.. even though I plan on going seattle to orlando again in 2021 ..it would be nice
I bought a 14 in 16. It had 6000miles on it and paid $9995. I knew I wanted cruise control but I did not know how bad I needed it.

My elbows are wrecked from 35 years of wrenching and my right is worse. I use CC for short sessions of relaxing my elbow and stretching my hand even on short trips of 30min. On long freeway trecs, which I dislike, I will run it for hours on end.

I even do **** with it that should not be done. Like ride the twisties with it. I bomb into and late brake a corner with it set. Only using the brake to shut it off. Then make my corner throttle the exit and hit resume for the next braking zone.

It is pretty hair raising because your natural instinct is to taper down on throttle before braking. You do not even realize you taper off the throttle it is so subtle. The CC does not and you know it.

CC into corners is just for fun and I dont recommend it to anyone. Its dangerous and stupid and I dont do it all the time.

But it is a HUGE excersize in mental control and panic control.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 11:54 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Should I wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnKarl View Post
I am ready to buy an FJR. I have been set on buying a 2013 to get the throttle by wire, digital dash, and cruise control. The ones within a 500 mile drive from me are starting at just under $7k with near 30k+ miles on them. However, I found a one-owner 2005 with 40k on it.
He is asking $4,200. Is the 2013 improved enough that it is worth the extra $3k considering the perfect condition and total maintenance records of the 2005?
CptnKarl,

30k miles on an FJR is just barely broken in. I would not care if an FJR had double that number on the odometer. I would suggest saving up all the For Sale ads you see now, for the next few months - those unsold bike prices will be dropping. Hate to say this, but IMHO the workaday-level of the USA economy has not hit bottom yet. "Eviction tsunami" indeed; some businesses are not able to wait idle very much longer. The food banks still have food, mostly, but the lines are getting longer. All that aside, Winter is coming. It's a buyer's market now, but wait maybe one or two months, and then hang on to your hat. Depending on your own situation, you might pick up one steal of a deal then, or you might have better uses for that money in real life, rather than buying a new toy now. Wish I was not saying this stuff, really, but you did ask.

I'd stay on the hunt these days, if I was looking to buy.
In good times or bad, you don't want to get tunnel-vision on any one bike, or any one deal.
mobilemike likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
But it is a HUGE excersize in mental control and panic control.
Yeah, I'll agree with that. I wouldn't emulate your method, but I guess we're all thrill seekers and this ups the ante.

In terms of what bike to get; at least an '08 or up is what I would recommend; they fixed a lot of issues by the '08 model (incl. the heat issue and the jerky throttle issue to mention the main ones). I've had the Gen I, Gen II and Gen III; I would get as new as you can get in the color you like (and you know that might eliminate a few years with the one-color-per-year policy). If you want CC, then go for the '14 and up since the '13 has an 80mph limit (though you can get it flashed by Ivan since everyone and their grandmother on this board knows all about it). Pick one and be happy.

Personally, I bought a '13 when they were brand new and loved it, except for the CC limit; I went backwards to an '08 and have to say that this one has been the most comfortable, BUT that is probably because I took the time to set it up the way I wanted it (and that goes for any year you pick).

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)

Last edited by maximrebel; 09-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page