Should I wait? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 01:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The cruise disengages with brakes, clutch or rolling off the throttle to zero. If you forget it's on and you're in a panic, roll off the throttle. I rarely use cruise unless I am truly cruising.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Yes, the deals will start flowing soon, agreed. Having said that, though...

If you find the FJR, at the price you want to pay, now, then pull the trigger! I would rather be riding and playing for a month, than waiting to save an extra $100.

All in all, these bikes are really affordable, compared to many other brands.

When I bought Orion, in 2013, it was a 2006 with 36K on the clock. It came with a Corbin leather seat and OEM seat. Tour and OEM windshield, K&N filter, and an OEM Trunk. I gave $6,300 back then. Maybe a little more than I should have, but it got me in the saddle of an FJR, fulfilling a long dream I had. And I rode it out of the stealership, that day, and never regretted it.

Here it is 2020, and Orion is still amazing!! If I do upgrade, I will look at a 2016 or newer. But if I never upgraded again, I'll still be very happy!

Yeah, it does get hot, when the fans blow the rad heat back, but I used to ride a 1980 Yamaha XS11SG, air-cooled, and HOT!!! Especially in Texas!

Either wait, or buy now, and you are going to be a happy rider! I look forward to hearing and seeing your story!

The technological marvel that is the FJR, in my humble opinion, checks all the boxes that I want, when on 2 wheels!

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg

Last edited by skippy344!; 09-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 10:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Its really hard to say what money-vs-motorcycle is worth to someone else. Its hard enough to say for oneself.

I friend who lives in a very nice house purchased a Garmin 60-something saying it had the features he was looking for and was cheaper than the $100 refurbished 61 I recommended. And now we notice his 60 doesn't have any form of Bluetooth while my 61 has Bluetooth and WiFi, can update itself without a computer. I like my cheap 61 in the truck better than my expensive Zumo 595 on motorcycle. Better and bigger display. Has Bluetooth but I don't know how it works with my Cardo. Connects to the same Garmin app on iPhone for traffic and weather. Incoming text messages appear on both 595 and 61.

When I bought the option was a discounted 2015 or wait months for a 2016 for several thousand more, I waited. I got LED headlights. 67,000 miles later the difference in cost per mile is negligible. No regrets.
skippy344! likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
And I totally agree with N4HHE. He waited a bit and got some features he wanted.

That is very interesting about the 61 vs the 595!

I have a Cardo Scala G4 Powerset. Love and hate it, all at the same time... I should have waited and bought the SENA, after my son showed up with his Sena. But at the time it was just my bride and me riding together, so I wasn't worried about connecting with other brand comms.

Live and learn, I guess... I still am...
maximrebel likes this.

Greg
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy344! View Post
That's called progress and personally I hope to keep on living and learning or this life is gonna get seriously boring...though 'some' of the more painful lessons I can do without...Bwuhahaha
skippy344! likes this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
And I totally agree with N4HHE. He waited a bit and got some features he wanted
And amortized over 67,000 miles (so far) the added cost was negligible.

Quote:
That is very interesting about the 61 vs the 595!
The refurbished 61 I bought for $100 on sale is still available for $120. I use this in my truck not FJR. If you are used to the Zumo 595 this GPS will be very familiar: https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/...-Year-Warranty

Quote:
I have a Cardo Scala G4 Powerset. Love and hate it, all at the same time... I should have waited and bought the SENA, after my son showed up with his Sena. But at the time it was just my bride and me riding together, so I wasn't worried about connecting with other brand comms.

I had 20S then 30K and after the 30K's long awaited disappointing 2.0 firmware update I concluded Sena does not have an engineering staff or software developers. That marketing types are micromanaging by hiring and firing contractors. I have two 30K's that neither will behave the same when reset to factory defaults. Searching forums indicates I am not the only one. That the new 50 is the same old story, all the old bugs plus new ones. One YouTube review demonstrated how glaringly bad the 50's noise cancelation is.

Bought Packtalk Bold. Much better. Waterproof, unlike the Sena.

On Bluetooth let me say it is my opinion that it is a terrible nonstandard standard. My first exposure was about 1995 when a work project could have made use. What I learned was that one had no hope of a homegrown Bluetooth protocol stack. Best I could buy was $20,000 plus a large fee per unit shipped, and required a high end embedded CPU (that I had to provide) and 500k bytes of ROM and a lot of RAM. TCP/IP is not that hard. In the years since I have never seen a Bluetooth device that worked right all the time other than an Apple iPhone to Apple AirPods.

Sena, Garmin, Apple, had exactly the same Bluetooth problems as I have had with Cardo. The powerup sequence doesn't always go the same way.

I had a lot of trouble with Sena Bluetooth intercom to another Sena. Often established a Donald Duck connection which required a reboot to end. Even at best there was a snare drum effect that could not be eliminated. The VOX and noise cancelation didn't work. Being able to listen to music with intercom only interrupting when the other spoke was a rare treat.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Oh wow, after all that, I can see your point!!

OK, I will look into the Packtalk Bold, for my next set!

My biggest issue with the G4 was that the VOX did not really work. I had to shout, "Break" to turn it on. But sometimes my bride heard the Break, and it killed her ears! So, I just set them to "on" all the time, which works, but it kills the battery, way faster...

But all the other features are flawless! I can listen to my music, from my mobile device, answer calls, etc, all good.

Thanks!!

Greg
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 02:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Oh wow, after all that, I can see your point!!

OK, I will look into the Packtalk Bold, for my next set!

My biggest issue with the G4 was that the VOX did not really work. I had to shout, "Break" to turn it on. But sometimes my bride heard the Break, and it killed her ears! So, I just set them to "on" all the time, which works, but it kills the battery, way faster...

But all the other features are flawless! I can listen to my music, from my mobile device, answer calls, etc, all good.

Thanks!!
The Bold benefits from having the matching app installed on phone. Provides more knobs to tweak microphone sensitivity, how aggressive auto volume control should be, etc. There are just too many things to try to do all on 3 buttons plus scroll wheel. Only need the app to set parameters. Once set no need for app. However it does help provide visual of how/who is paired. You can use it on the fly to make a private link to just one member of your group.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Wow, those are some awesome features!!

Like they were listening to their customers!

Sounds like a really good upgrade plan for me!

After I am done, I will have a set of "used" G4s for sale!

Greg
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I really appreciate all the comments and time this community is offering me. I will wait until February and start my search in earnest. I really like the gen III, but I see the value in an '08. I thank you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page