2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill Lumberg
  • 1 Post By JohnC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

New FJR Owner

Morning All,

I just picked up a 2013 FJR1300A on Tuesday. This my first FJR and so far I am liking it. I will say the FJR is more sport and a little less tourer than the 2000 BMW R1100-RT it is replacing, but I believe I will be able to cope. I look forward to reading everyone's input on this forum on all topics.

DannyT
2013 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the group and congratulations for buying the best color :-)

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Welcome to the Forum!

2013 FJR1300A
2017 FZ-09
2014 Vstrom 1000A

"Enjoy the Journey"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 03:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome.

I came from an R1200RT to the FJR. The RT broke down more often than I liked.

On the internet, the ergonomics of the RT and the FJR looked quite similar. Reality was quite different. The RT had far superior wind protection and superior ergonomics. An aftermarket shield and a helibridge would be necessary to get the FJR in touring trim. Still lacking vs the RT in wind management, but it’s manageable.

My preference is a VStream 20308 or Yamaha touring screen in the spring/summer/fall, and a Cee Bailey, storm handguards, and yamaha knuckle visors in the winter.

Power, reliability, and everything else has been great. I’ve got over 100,000 miles on the platform, and I think it has ruined me for any other bike.
Ride safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
Morning All,

I just picked up a 2013 FJR1300A on Tuesday. This my first FJR and so far I am liking it. I will say the FJR is more sport and a little less tourer than the 2000 BMW R1100-RT it is replacing, but I believe I will be able to cope. I look forward to reading everyone's input on this forum on all topics.
DannyT likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-27-2020 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

2013A? Let's see:
2013 and on have only a single rather anemic horn. Most of us fit a pair of PIAA Sports horns. Some of us fit a relay to reduce the load on the horn button. Some, including me, do not. Check the archives here.

2013A - 2015A (I think) are missing the little mud flap that is between the rear shock and the swing arm. The tabs are there for it. It's there on the Series IIs and the later ES models. Previous owner, if he knew about it, may have installed it.

Torque specs in both the owner's and FSM for the engine oil drain bolt (31 lbs-ft) is wrong. Should be like the final drive drain bolt (17 lb-ft) - same size into the same type of aluminum casting, if you use a torque wrench there. Some of us have been complaining to MamaYama for years.

The link in my signature points to a doc that a Brit FJR rider put together to describe how to take apart the Chinese puzzle that is the Series III bodywork. I think it is better than the FSM or the Haynes manual.

And I have redrawn the electrical diagrams in color so they fit on 11X17 sheets. Makes them much easier to read than the B&W 8.5X11" drawings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FJR Electrical Diagram 2013A-2015A.pdf (4.70 MB, 0 views)
mattemike likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome. I enjoy my time on this forum & I'm confident you will also.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

The link in my signature points to a doc that a Brit FJR rider put together to describe how to take apart the Chinese puzzle that is the Series III bodywork. I think it is better than the FSM or the Haynes manual.

And I have redrawn the electrical diagrams in color so they fit on 11X17 sheets. Makes them much easier to read than the B&W 8.5X11" drawings.
I had a '98 R1100RT and the tupperware removal/installation was far worse than my '13 FJR. There are about 20 screws involved and they all locate inside plastic enclosed t/nuts. I shudder just thinking about that mess. OPs 2000 RT is a little different but not much. FJR engine is far and away superior to that old oilhead boxer. I hated that engine - felt like an old tractor. Did like the dry clutch/separate tranny though.

Great job on those schematics by the way !!

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page