Pulled the trigger - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Pulled the trigger

Greetings from South Carolina. I picked up a 2013 FJR with 2200 miles this weekend. No, that’s not a typo...2200 miles, and at a great price. I’m a moderately experienced rider, and I like touring. I’ve had several bikes over the years, from my Ultra Classic (which I still have), to a DR650, Goldwing, Honda 750’s, Yamaha 650, and so on.
I’m looking foreword to riding this beast, and having some fun along the way.
mitchnj and jjscsix like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Suggestion: add year of FJR and your location to your profile.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Welcome, got my 2013 with 10,000 miles and I thought that was a good deal. Might want to go through the fluids when you get a chance.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome, I believe you'll like this forum. Besides fluids I'd recommend a close inspection of the tires.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 11:14 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Pulled the trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Welcome, I believe you'll like this forum. Besides fluids I'd recommend a close inspection of the tires.
Oldcrankyrider,

The FJR is a strong, heavy bike. Check sidewalls for cracking, chipping, et c. Tire age (click the link and scroll down):

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Your call, of course, but IMHO, tires on the FJR are about done after maybe eight years, no matter about any tread depth remaining. Please consider, this machine can and will crack triple digits on the highway on-ramp.

First gadget to add, if you add anything, might be a TPMS. The code words for serious in America are "where the rubber meets the road." This one of those things.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Oldcrankyrider,

The FJR is a strong, heavy bike. Check sidewalls for cracking, chipping, et c. Tire age (click the link and scroll down):

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Your call, of course, but IMHO, tires on the FJR are about done after maybe eight years, no matter about any tread depth remaining. Please consider, this machine can and will crack triple digits on the highway on-ramp.

First gadget to add, if you add anything, might be a TPMS. The code words for serious in America are "where the rubber meets the road." This one of those things.
I wouldn't go past 4-5 years here in the Texas heat, but then again, you should wear it out before then.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the tips.
I do plan to replace the tires soon, and have been reading lots of recommendations and reviews. I’ve never had TPMS on a bike, and I’ve had many. I did adjust the front to 40 and rear 42 per recommendations. They were both at 30 from the PO. The bike now dives nicely into turns, and exits balanced. The one thing I didn’t like was now I have a low speed wobble in front if I take my hands off the bars. It’s not progressive, thank god. I think I’ll experiment more.
Rich
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Training wheels fitted!

congrats on your new ride. I am completely amazed about the handling of my 2020. The driver input approaches that of some of the dirt bikes I owned, XR650R. I run the suspension on soft and I am sure that I will never be pushing this bike to the limits. We are in a time when there are many excellent bikes out there.

2020 FJR13ESL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 11:02 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Pulled the trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcrankyrider View Post
Thanks for the tips. I do plan to replace the tires soon, and have been reading lots of recommendations and reviews. I’ve never had TPMS on a bike, and I’ve had many. I did adjust the front to 40 and rear 42 per recommendations. They were both at 30 from the PO. The bike now dives nicely into turns, and exits balanced. The one thing I didn’t like was now I have a low speed wobble in front if I take my hands off the bars. It’s not progressive, thank god. I think I’ll experiment more.
Rich
Rich,

Most commonly, loose bearings at the steering head can allow the wobble. Try to re-torque the steering head, first. A bad tire can cause the front end wobble. Some lousy new tires can, too. The final fix, for most FJR owners, is to replace the OEM ball bearings in the steering head with tapered roller bearings. Timken is the best brand for any bearings, IMHO, but some use SKF or others. If your bike has a top case back there, try riding without it for a while, and see if the wobble goes away, without the top case.

An unstable front end is not to be ignored, and it's not normal on the FJR.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page