Hello from Colorado - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hello from Colorado

I bought my 2003 FJR about a year ago. I joined the forum because I was looking for some tech advice and found it. I'm 50 and am very new to street bikes. I've always had at least 1 dirt bike since I was in my 20's and wanted a street bike. Then, my kids witnessed a fatal bike wreck while on a school bus so I promised them I wouldn't get a street bike.

Nearly 20 years later, my son started showing an interest in motorcycles, so I decided that getting a cheap bike and doing a cafe racer project would be a fun idea. The goal was to buy a bike for under $1000 and bring it back from the dead. I saw an ad for an FJR1300 for $1200, not running. I did a Pinterest search on FJR1300 cafe projects and found a few and decided it could be done. I talked the guy down to $900 because it wasn't running. When he went inside to find the title, I put my jump starter on it, held the throttle wide open and it started right up. I quickly shut it off and tried to wave out the exhaust smell before he came back outside. When I got it home, I took it for a spin in the neighborhood. This was literally the first street bike I had ever ridden. I parked it and took pictures to show my son and while I was looking at it, I realized that I could never bring myself to tear apart this beautiful bike. So I called my son and told him that I'm keeping the bike for myself and ended up getting him a 1998 FZR600 for $1000 and started the cafe project on that bike.

A lot of people have told me that the FJR is not an ideal "beginner" bike. I really have nothing to compare it to other than the FZR, so what do I know? I've been riding it for about a year now and so far so good. I really love the bike and I ride whenever the weather allows. I've had 2 mechanical issues with it that I've fixed. One day, I was taking it out and it died at the bottom of my driveway. Wouldn't start back up. Turned out to be a fuel issue. I'm not 100% sure, but I cleaned the contacts on the relay assembly and packed the connectors with dielectric grease. That got it back and running. Worried that I had a bad fuel pump, I changed the motor using one of the $70 replacements online. When I put it back together, it would idle, but would die when I gave it throttle. I took removed the pump assembly, disassembled it, reassembled it and re-installed it about a dozen times before discovering a little o-ring that wasn't installed correctly. Fixed that and I'm back in business.

The only mod I've done on it is the exhaust "trooper" mod to make it a little louder.

No one believes that I bought that bike for $900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

For $900. I'd say you got a deal. Congrats.

I don't think you quite fit in the "first time buyer" category, or at least not what I think of for the FJR. If I were to sell my FJR I'd avoid selling to a 20 something year old who just got his motorcycle endorsement on his DL and was looking to purchase his first motorcycle. I wouldn't care if he had asking price cash in hand, I wouldn't do it.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 38500 miles and counting
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 04:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The only that makes it "not a beginner's bike" is the speed, power, and weight, especially the weight. For being a little porky, it does move briskly down the road.

The "won't start" problem is not uncommon with FJRs. That may happen when you start it up, then quickly shut it down before it reaches operating temperature. The solution is exactly what you did.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
For $900. I'd say you got a deal. Congrats.

I don't think you quite fit in the "first time buyer" category, or at least not what I think of for the FJR.
Is that because I bought a 2003, or because I didn't transition from a different bike?

Quote:
If I were to sell my FJR I'd avoid selling to a 20 something year old who just got his motorcycle endorsement on his DL and was looking to purchase his first motorcycle. I wouldn't care if he had asking price cash in hand, I wouldn't do it.
My 21 year old son rides my FJR all the time and does fine with it. I made sure he could pick it up by himself before I let him ride it.

I only figured out that it was an insanely fast bike after I bought it, which again, isn't the ideal way to get into any kind of bike. After taking it on the highway for the first time, I thought, "seems kind of fast", so I Googled the FJR and yep, everyone seems to think it's a) very fast and b) very heavy. But as I tell my son, just because the power is there, it doesn't mean you have to use it. A local kid died a few weeks ago about 24 hours after buying a 300 Ninja. Going too fast on a surface street, car turned left in front of him. So I think the bike itself is less of a factor than what you do on it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The "won't start" problem is not uncommon with FJRs. That may happen when you start it up, then quickly shut it down before it reaches operating temperature. The solution is exactly what you did.
Good to know. Thanks so much. I wasn't comfortable that I "fixed" the issue. Now, I think I know where to start looking if it dies on me 100 miles from home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page