New to here,, making the jump - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OhioDeere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Talking New to here,, making the jump

Just signed up and passed the registration test.. Pheewww. Noticed a few familiar faces here. Hi guys!.
Reside near Lima, Ohio where its too flat and straight to have fun riding. Grew up in southwestern PA where there are no straight roads. Now I have to ride some distance to get to the good stuff.
Been on the Honda version ST1300 for quite a while. No complaints there.. Been around and met allot of great people over the years. I've always considered motorcycling my main hobby. Been riding around the country for decades. some of the greatest people I've ever met was through motorcycling.
So.. I haven't acquired an FJR yet.. Been to several dealers and private owners though.. At my age I'm just more picky then when I was younger.. LOL
Joined here to get the scoop from the experts on this model.. I've owned yamaha's in the past.. RD350, Yz, FZ1, etc.

I think I've convinced myself that I'm just going to order what I want new.. Hey someone has to replenish the used market someday??
One of the problems I'm having is the dealers don't have stock on what I want and can't get them easily.. The Pandemic has a particular swirl on the shipping and procurment aspects today.. URGG.

After allot of research, I've concluded the black grey 1300Es with top box is the route I want to go.

Any help and suggestions you can add would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for the acceptance speech.

Doug
Redfish likes this.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 04:40 PM
FJR Top Gun

HI DOUG! How ya doin' buddy? Yea, several former Honda ST owners over here you might recognize. You've undoubtedly ridden with Rayzerman at one or more of the ST Rallies in Ohio, although ironically he has moved on from the FJR. ChucklrST is here too. He just posted up some nice pics from a ride in Colorado. Couple more.

If you get an FJR and want a top box you are going to have to get some support for the box in the back (weak subframe), either a Givi SR357 or a stiffy kit made by forum member geraud.

of course the givi trunks come in all sizes and either rounded or angular. I have the 47 liter angular on mine and am very happy with it.

Like the ST a lot of guys swap out the seats for something else and the windshield, and many seem to put on bar risers. I'm still (2 years 31,000 miles) running stock seat, stock bars, and use a cut down shield (-10") in summer but a Yamaha touring shield (+4") in winter.

If you want to ride mine we could meet someplace in between for a test ride. Let me know. Finding a new ES in stock someplace might be tough.

Should have let you take my FJR for a spin at OH-SToc.

Oh yea you are going to like the 6 speed, the cruise control, the power, the brakes, the loss of weight (although the FJR weight is up high), the slipper clutch, the electronics, how ridiculously easy it is to change the oil and filter etc etc

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 08-04-2020 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Doug... Just because Gizmo bought mine, doesn't mean you have to get one, lol. Welcome aboard....... get yourself a good used low miler.... be patient and thou shalt find one.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Doug... Just because Gizmo bought mine, doesn't mean you have to get one, lol. Welcome aboard....... get yourself a good used low miler.... be patient and thou shalt find one.
RAYMOND! Hi buddy..
IF the border wasn't closed you would get to see the T-Shirt! " I WANT TO BE LIKE RAY"!

I wasn't kidding when i told you that last year. LOL
I've got lots of learning and catching up to do!

hopefully we'll see you around bud..

Doug
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think the factory Yamaha top case mount is similar to the Givi but cast/forged/formed aluminum vs steel tubing vs molded plastic original luggage rack.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Again ! A stiffy by itself will not prevent a broken subframe, you need either the heavy aluminum Yamaha rear rack (oe is plastic) or the givi sr357 or the similar Shad tube rack, those are your options .

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page