Howdy. New member from Mass. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffling View Post
Thanks.

Nice, you were next door (Amesbury). I actually grew up in Central MA.

I'm jealous of your winter in SC. I'm sure it makes for an extended riding season by comparison!
Yeah, the best of both worlds, we have a nice cool autumn, almost no snow in the winter, and the summers are short and almost year round it's nice and crisp in the mornings. BUT we can't go to the beach and dig up pisser clams.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:43 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
That's pissa clams to you fella

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Welcome Helling and congrats on your score!!! I was actually looking for a VFR 800 when I ran across the FJR I picked up last week. You should deffientely enjoy her. Mine is a 03' and I love her!!

New to me 2003 FJR1300

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the site, you’ve got a great bike and a great area to ride in. I’m originally from Boston and living out here in WI everyone says I talk funny. I think they talk funny too. Was back out there riding in NH ME and Mass last summer. What a hoot taking the FJR downtown to visit my sister. That will loosen your steering head bearings! The roads in Boston not visiting my sister.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welcome Helling, I’ve ridden my 14a (the fastest color red &#128513 in your neighborhood some since buying it to visit my son & his family in Strafford NH, great roads & great people there even if they talk funny, but most identify me as a mid-westerner pretty quick as well but quite frankly I don’t hear it!

Anyway my take on your great acquisition is that our fjr’s being a bit heavy (top heavy) with a lot of power particularly the low end torque tends to intimidate a lot of people. Particularly someone used to a Harley because they always talk about the “torque”of a Harley but if you overlay the dyno curves of a Harley & an fjr you’d find a lot more at a lower rpm on the fjr, probably scared the crap out of the oe owner but good for you ! Enjoy that new bike, a lot of great riding roads up there, some of the very best I’ve ever ridden. Very well kept secret there.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Donk - Ha! I'll have to try that out...
I mean the Boston roads.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Welcome Helling, I’ve ridden my 14a (the fastest color red &#128513 in your neighborhood some since buying it to visit my son & his family in Strafford NH, great roads & great people there even if they talk funny, but most identify me as a mid-westerner pretty quick as well but quite frankly I don’t hear it!

Anyway my take on your great acquisition is that our fjr’s being a bit heavy (top heavy) with a lot of power particularly the low end torque tends to intimidate a lot of people. Particularly someone used to a Harley because they always talk about the “torque”of a Harley but if you overlay the dyno curves of a Harley & an fjr you’d find a lot more at a lower rpm on the fjr, probably scared the crap out of the oe owner but good for you ! Enjoy that new bike, a lot of great riding roads up there, some of the very best I’ve ever ridden. Very well kept secret there.
Cheers! I do most of my riding in NH. Less traffic and more variety of roads.

The weight seems to go away as soon as I get moving. Hasn't been too bad. I'm flatfooted on this 6'/220.

I spend most days on the phone with folks from Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City. We've learned how to listen to each other, but I'm sure they still get a kick out of the East Coast sound. I have some friends who should coach the accent for movies tho. I have a tough time listening to them when they get rolling!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
Welcome Helling and congrats on your score!!! I was actually looking for a VFR 800 when I ran across the FJR I picked up last week. You should deffientely enjoy her. Mine is a 03' and I love her!!
Thx! Congrats on your choice. The Viffer will always hold a place in my heart tho.
nunia720 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page