Hola, ¿Cómo está? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hola, ¿Cómo está?

OK, that's about the extent of my Spanish. LOL

Hello all. Thanks for putting this forum together. Seems like a great group of folks on here.

I'm 46, a father of four and grandfather of seven, with another granddaughter arriving any day now.

I'm new to the FJR, but not new to motorcycles. Good thing too since this is a beast of a machine! I really wasn't expecting a superbike with luggage, but that's what I got. My old '83 GS850G is a great bike, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. As my primary ride, I've put nearly 30K miles on the 850 in the last four years. In that time I also had a KLX400, KLR650 and a DL1000 each having a short stay in my garage. They were bought and sold for various reasons. The ADV bikes didn't really keep my attention for long. The V-Strom DL1000 was more of a touring bike than an ADV bike, IMHO, but didn't really fit me. I suppose I'm always trying to scratch a particular itch.

I love the 400-500 mile day trips around NM, but plan on much longer, multi day trips in the near future so I recently started looking for something more suited to hit the interstate. I had been keeping an eye out for a Honda ST1100 when I came acrossed this FJR. I really didn't know much about the FJR, but three friends have owned them and highly recommended them.

An ad showed up on Craigslist last Sunday afternoon and I called the owner within an hour of it being posted. I went to look at the bike and visited with the seller for quite a while. He seemed to have taken good care of the FJR, showing me reciepts for maintenance dating back to 2012. I made arrangements to come back the next day for it.

So far, with working long days and rain after work, I've only been able to get out for a couple of 50 mile rides. I never imagined a shaft driven bike could move like this thing does! Last night it started raining and to be able to just raise the windshield a few inches was so nice. I had a laugh whan the rain stopped. I lowered the windshield and the wind dried my visor like the giant blow drier thing at the end of the car wash, haha.

There are a couple of things I need to sort with this bike, but poking around on this forum many of my questions have been answered already. I'm looking forward to learning and chatting with you folks.

Here are the two in my garage now.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Roger, nice find... you know we're gonna tell you to change the CCT if it hasn't already been done.... what is the mileage on this beauty?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ray, It has just under 39k miles.

While it has had regular basic maintenance like fluids, tires, brakes air filter etc, I don't see any mention of the CCT being changed. Also, no report of valve clearance check either.

I wonder if I contacted the dealer they'd have a record or everything this bike has had done in their shop?

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:01 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

new rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque73 View Post
ray, it has just under 39k miles. While it has had regular basic maintenance like fluids, tires, brakes air filter etc, i don't see any mention of the cct being changed. Also, no report of valve clearance check either. I wonder if i contacted the dealer they'd have a record or everything this bike has had done in their shop?
Burque,

You can also contact the Yamaha mothership directly, with your VIN, and check for any outstanding factory recalls that may be due on your bike. Factory recalls are free maintenance, usually important safety issues, and they should not be disregarded.

1-800-962-7926

Best wishes,
Ace Handler likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 07-26-2020 at 10:04 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the info Red.

Was the cam chain tensioner a factory recall?
Ace Handler likes this.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 02:44 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Hola, ¿Cómo está?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
Thanks for the info Red. Was the cam chain tensioner a factory recall?
Burque,

Not to my knowledge, but maybe it should be, considering Yamaha did it, not anybody else.

A CCT failure can easily destroy the engine, when the Cam Chain even starts skipping teeth. You will not get the engine shut down in time to avoid serious damage, then.

I would ask Yamaha about it, if I had a no-dot CCT on my engine. Sometimes, vehicle manufacturers have unwritten warranties which they will honor but they do not advertise, like the paint that flakes off in big sheets from certain brands of cars. (-IF- you complain, sometimes your car gets a new paint job.)

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

CCT not a recall to my knowledge... simply a weak spring that got weaker with age, design change was made in later 2007. Another revision later... if you order one today it will be the latest..... If you have no dot, I'd just do it soon.
If you want to do a valve check, you're due but can also push it out some if you like.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
OK, that's about the extent of my Spanish.
Welcome......rookie. Let me help you with that, I know loads of espanol:

Burrito. Taco. Enchilada. Quesadilla. Tamale. Fajita.

It's a miracle I'm not 347 lbs

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
CCT not a recall to my knowledge... simply a weak spring that got weaker with age, design change was made in later 2007. Another revision later... if you order one today it will be the latest..... If you have no dot, I'd just do it soon.
If you want to do a valve check, you're due but can also push it out some if you like.
That spring failure sounds like the old KLR650's balancer tensioner issue. Similar results if it fails. The fix was an aftermarket part and to drop the weak coil spring and use a torsion spring. I have a lot to read up on for this FJR. It looks like the new CCT is around $100, not too bad for peace of mind. Valves I'll probaly check soon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Welcome......rookie. Let me help you with that, I know loads of espanol:

Burrito. Taco. Enchilada. Quesadilla. Tamale. Fajita.

It's a miracle I'm not 347 lbs
Same here. Haven't gained a pound since high school. In nearly 30 years, that's a lot of tacos!

A side note, my neighbor actually weighs 340lbs. He's almost 7' tall though. Man, can he put down some tacos.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Last night I propped up the tank and installed the foil covered bubble insulation blanket. Hoping it will make a difference in the heat issue.

Also, I was able to get a peek at the CCT and it does not have the dot

It looks like the valve cover gasket is rubber. Is there a reusable gasket there?

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page