Hello from Germany - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thumbs up Hello from Germany

Hi everyone.
my name is Martin, I am 35 and I live in Hamburg, Germany.
I have dreamed about the FJR ever since I first saw it. I never would've thought that It'd ever be in my price range. And I was right
But I have stretched my budget, gotten a loan and I am the proud owner of a used RP11 2004 in blue.
I will be picking her up on tuesday after waiting for the papers and getting her registered.

I bought her from a dealer for 3900Ä. She has 73000 kms on the clock, first-hand, and looks like new.
There's so much I need to learn about such a big bike and cardan. The only other bikes I've ridden were a XJ600S Diversion back in '04-'06 as my frist bike and a Honda VFR800 for one season that I got from my uncle.

I am looking forward to learning a lot more about this absolute dream bike and exchanging ideas and receiving advice.

good luck and have a safe ride everyone.

RP11 - Hamburg,Germany - finally got my dream bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty View Post
Hi everyone.
I have dreamed about the FJR ever since I first saw it. I never would've thought that It'd ever be in my price range. And I was right
But I have stretched my budget, gotten a loan and I am the proud owner of a used RP11 2004 in blue.
I will be picking her up on tuesday after waiting for the papers and getting her registered.

I am looking forward to learning a lot more about this absolute dream bike and exchanging ideas and receiving advice.

Herzlich willkommen! Ich bin sehr beeindruckt dass du so eine schoene Englisch sprichst (aber keine Uberrauschung!). Meine Schwagerin wohnt in Buxtehude und meine Frau stamm aus Geldern.

Hamburg is a beautiful city with great neighborhoods and wonderful walks along the waters. I particularly enjoyed Chicagostrasse in Hafencitys. I really thought my time there was awesome. The roads were impeccable. Sadly we were in a car but fun nonetheless.

I don't know what a "RP11 2004". Please post pics.

Welcome to the FJR forum!

Warmly,
Patrick
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I bought her from a dealer for 3900Ä. She has 73000 kms on the clock, first-hand, and looks like new.
There's so much I need to learn about such a big bike and cardan. The only other bikes I've ridden were a XJ600S Diversion back in '04-'06 as my frist bike and a Honda VFR800 for one season that I got from my uncle.

welcome to the forum and good luck with the bike
since its an 04 i do recommend to have a look at the cct the early ones kinda gave up and made the bike go boom so this is a part that has to be changed out once its done youre all good to go its a fairly cheap fix too so nothing to worry about financially
have a look here : https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1261483-post2.html

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_FJR View Post
Herzlich willkommen! Ich bin sehr beeindruckt dass du so eine schoene Englisch sprichst (aber keine Uberrauschung!). Meine Schwagerin wohnt in Buxtehude und meine Frau stamm aus Geldern.

Hamburg is a beautiful city with great neighborhoods and wonderful walks along the waters. I particularly enjoyed Chicagostrasse in Hafencitys. I really thought my time there was awesome. The roads were impeccable. Sadly we were in a car but fun nonetheless.

I don't know what a "RP11 2004". Please post pics.

Welcome to the FJR forum!

Warmly,
Patrick

haha that is some good german as well
Hamburg is beautiful yeah.
I will pick the beauty up on tuesday, will post pics then!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
welcome to the forum and good luck with the bike
since its an 04 i do recommend to have a look at the cct the early ones kinda gave up and made the bike go boom so this is a part that has to be changed out once its done youre all good to go its a fairly cheap fix too so nothing to worry about financially
have a look here : https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1261483-post2.html

thank you for linking that. I don't even really know what a cct is or does. sadly the previous owner didn't keep a repair book, so I don't know if it's been changed or not.

Do I check myself?
Can I do that myself without much knowledge/experience? seems like a lot to take apart

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Hello from Germany

Quote:
thank you for linking that. I don't even really know what a cct is or does. sadly the previous owner didn't keep a repair book, so I don't know if it's been changed or not. Do I check myself? Can I do that myself without much knowledge/experience? seems like a lot to take apart
Mighty,

You can see if your Cam Chain Tensioner is old or new. Look for a blue or green dot on the CCT body; a dot means the CCT is new and good. No dot? That would be bad news. Change the CCT for the new version, before the old CCT destroys your engine. The CCT keeps the valve timing correct, and CCT failures are usually a total engine disaster. You can find write-ups to do the CCT work on several FJR forums. The CCT is visible without much grief, using a strong light. No guessing, there, please; ask and we help.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1005017-post12.html

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hmm. I have a 2007 with 56,000 miles and my CCT looks like this. Is that the stock CCT? Is the dot on both sides or just one?

I am at least the third owner so I'm not sure what's been done to this bike and what hasn't. I've been going over everything I can, but just learned about the CCT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200705_222801_HDR.jpg (133.2 KB, 16 views)

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500

Last edited by sentry07; 07-06-2020 at 01:47 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Quote:
thank you for linking that. I don't even really know what a cct is or does. sadly the previous owner didn't keep a repair book, so I don't know if it's been changed or not. Do I check myself? Can I do that myself without much knowledge/experience? seems like a lot to take apart
Mighty,

You can see if your Cam Chain Tensioner is old or new. Look for a blue or green dot on the CCT body; a dot means the CCT is new and good. No dot? That would be bad news. Change the CCT for the new version, before the old CCT destroys your engine. The CCT keeps the valve timing correct, and CCT failures are usually a total engine disaster. You can find write-ups to do the CCT work on several FJR forums. The CCT is visible without much grief, using a strong light. No guessing, there, please; ask and we help.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1005017-post12.html
But to see that I would have to take half the bike apart, to get to the motor and take cct out to check for the dot. Right?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Hello from Germany

Quote:
But to see that I would have to take half the bike apart, to get to the motor and take cct out to check for the dot. Right?
Mighty,

No. The color-dot will be on the top side of the CCT. The CCT is just under a panel, and you should be able to see it with a strong light, and maybe an inspection mirror. There is no need to remove the CCT from the engine to inspect it for the color-dot. If you replace the CCT, there is a gasket under it that should be replaced then, also.

Otherwise, borrow one USB borescope for a while, to see the CCT. New, they only cost about US$45.00 now, and I am always finding new uses for my USB borescope. If you buy one, you might get get it with five meters of fiber (cable). I recommend having one with LED illumination and manual focus features. Bring your own phone or laptop, for a display screen. The camera/cable is flexible (think- wet noodle), so you tape the end to a stiff wire (baling wire) to guide the camera end into small places. I doubt that you will need a borescope to see the CCT, though; it's just good to have that tool available to you.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 07-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
On the right side of the bike, there's a frame member below the seat towards the front of the bike with a little rubber insert in the middle of it. The CCT is right behind that piece (the rubber insert covers a hole to get to the bolt on the back of the CCT, actually). There's a gap on top of that member you can look in and you'll see it attached to the rear of the engine. See my picture above.

I assume mine is the bad one because of no dot, though it doesn't look exactly like the factory piece. Did they start putting dots on the 2007+ from the factory or just ones Yamaparts sells?

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page