New to the FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

New to the FJR

Greetings riders! New to the FJR - actually not bought yet but seriously looking at 2015 ES. Beauty of a bike. Have a Yammy dirt bike and Kawasaki road bike but this FJR looks amazing and the reviews are good and the bike seems I great shape - only 32,000 km (or about 21,000 miles)
Wondering if there’s anything specifically i should look for or into for this unit? Any specific faults that need to be checked? Or any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hope to share more with you about this new adventure. Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome first off. When I go to purchase a used bike I ask for maintenance records & look for general overall condition of the bike. Try to get a feel for the owner as to his riding passion & pride of ownership. Price of course will generally be the final issue but see what's included in the sale. I was extremely fortunate to find a 14 from another forum member here who was meticulous with maintenance and upgrades. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:28 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

New to the FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeters View Post
Greetings riders! New to the FJR - actually not bought yet but seriously looking at 2015 ES. Beauty of a bike. Have a Yammy dirt bike and Kawasaki road bike but this FJR looks amazing and the reviews are good and the bike seems I great shape - only 32,000 km (or about 21,000 miles) Wondering if there’s anything specifically i should look for or into for this unit? Any specific faults that need to be checked? Or any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated. Hope to share more with you about this new adventure. Many thanks
Repeters,

Many FJRs have upgrades, big and small. I recommend getting a list from the Previous Owner of what has been changed/upgraded, and the sources. There is a serious list of service/checks due soon for the bike, which may be a bargaining point there, but you should check that out either way. For any upgrades, the PO may still have the OEM parts, which will often be free for the asking, or at least reasonable, if the PO had planned to sell them. No need to purchase that old stuff, but I'd take it if it comes free. Any maintenance records are good to have, even if it just the PO's logbook of DIY stuff.

Good days ahead!

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

I think you will enjoy the FJR. Lord knows we do.

About the only chronic weakness that the FJR has is a sort of weak rear subframe. Under heavy loads from a top box or luggage rack and over bumpy roads, the rear subframe is subject to breakage. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I don't know if you intend to do any of your own maintenance, but for removing the fairing, the guide in my signature is pretty good.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Many thanks for the reply. Appreciate the input.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Howdy and thanks for the heads up - thats good to know and keep in mind. I'm a taller and larger guy 6'2" and 240 lbs so want to keep an eye on that ( and the lbs too), luckily the wife is a tiny thing ... but her luggage filling capacity is another thing.

Anyhow will keep y'all posted

cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page