New to FJR, couple of questions...... - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I came late to this thread. "Buy the '09, you can't go wrong" was what I was going to say. Now here you are chasing down electrical gremlins. I hope you've got it nailed. I got a new-to-me '08 three years ago (Black as well - not my favorite color but I'm getting used to it) and my son just picked up a nice blue '06 about 3 weeks ago so we have twin (other than color) bikes now! Time for a road trip.

The Givi 357 rack is a solid mount point for a rear trunk. It's so sturdy you can use it as a grip point for centerstanding, if you are so inclined. It doesn't look TOO huge on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (325.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Let's not forget connector #3. It can cause the same ground problem/symptoms.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.Robinson View Post
I came late to this thread. "Buy the '09, you can't go wrong" was what I was going to say. Now here you are chasing down electrical gremlins. I hope you've got it nailed. I got a new-to-me '08 three years ago (Black as well - not my favorite color but I'm getting used to it) and my son just picked up a nice blue '06 about 3 weeks ago so we have twin (other than color) bikes now! Time for a road trip.

The Givi 357 rack is a solid mount point for a rear trunk. It's so sturdy you can use it as a grip point for centerstanding, if you are so inclined. It doesn't look TOO huge on the back.
I honestly felt the same way. I even asked about spider problems specifically with the 09. And I figured a garaged one with 12k miles? Haha....
Oh well, it is what it is.
Black isn't really my favorite color, either, tbh. I think I like the silver best.
And I'll be sure to check out top cases as soon as I'm done with this fiasco AND I have a few thousand more miles on her and trust her enough to buy her a **** case. 😁

post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Let's not forget connector #3. It can cause the same ground problem/symptoms.
Glad you said something. I already did 3 but you made me remember I missed 1. 👍
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So S8 was slightly deeper than 7.
Taking the headlight adjuster panels completely out helps.
Then I did S1.
So I've inspected, cleaned, and oxguarded every spider, the recall harness connector, and the main ground.
Not even a single trace of corrosion or heat on the spiders. It looks like a 12k garaged bike should.

Should I have soldered them all? Probably.
Everything is now working as it should at least. I guess time will tell.
Time to put it all back together.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No, I wouldn't solder them all, especially if they look good. Ride on.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

These bikes aren't nearly as hard to get the plastics off and on than I originally expected. It took like an hour to put everything back together.
I'm going to wipe her down and go riding all day tomorrow.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
No, I wouldn't solder them all, especially if they look good. Ride on.
That's what I was thinking.
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Should I have soldered them all? Probably.
Everything is now working as it should at least. I guess time will tell.
Time to put it all back together.
You can't fly soldered wires for the DoD or NASA. Must be crimped because solder wicks down the wire between the strands from the connector rendering it more brittle.

Also concern about solder softening at temperatures less than the melting temperature.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

KilgoreTrout
I recently had same troubles as you. I had S4 recall done about 3 years ago and still had problem off and on. I took all the spiders apart, cleaned and inspected. I used conductive Ox-Gard on ground spiders. Everything worked great till last winter in Mesa. One day it all worked fine and next day no windshield and lite up turn signal lights, high beam light on etc, etc. Anyway I got home and inspected everything again and Ox-Gard all spiders and looked for burnt or hots spots but found nothing. I have a Ram mount for my phone with a plug from glove box. My phone would charge then not charge. I thought it was the phone cord and planned to replace it. The headlight quite, windshield didnít work and all the rest of the stuff. Someone posted that after S4 mod is done trouble may move to S6. I checked S6 and it looked pristine. I thought about it a few days and finally removed S6 spider and stripped all 6 wire and added a 14G wire to the bundle and soldered and heat shrinks the bunch. I took 14G wire up to frame just under front of tank. Thereís a 6m bolt hole there in aluminum frame. I mounted 14G wire to the bolt hole. That was about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Since then everything works great. Windshield seems faster, phone cord I was going to replace works perfect. Headlights (LED) work great. No more symptoms. I have put 1000 miles on bike and nothing! I removed S6 (it looked perfectly ok but I guess it was not). No suggestion here but thatís my story. This is a great bunch to listen too. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. Good luck with your spider bites.

Mooseman

Allstate 50, Bridgestone 50, Santa Barbra 125, 180 Twin Jet
305 Super Hawk, 350 Bridgestone GTR, CB450 Honda, 360 Yamaha Enduro, Yamaha 750 Seca, 2 x 1981 CBX, 2008 FJR 1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page