New to FJR, couple of questions...... - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
Can't be all negative, I guess. Attachment 70555
KilgoreTrout,

Nice!
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I have noalox and oxguard sitting around from other projects. Probably use oxguard.
Noalox and Ox-Guard contain powdered zinc which provides a conductive path through the carrier material which serves to keep the atmosphere and moisture away.

Powered zinc helps penetrate the outer layer of aluminum oxide (yup, aluminum rust!) which forms the instant aluminum comes into contact with oxygen.

"di-electric" is how we measure the ability of an insulator to isolate electric potentials.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So I found S4. On mine it's a connector instead of just a spider, and the wiring appears to head towards the battery box.
I'm assuming this is because either the recall was done OR because it has heated grips installed?
I'm beginning to wonder if the heated grips have something to do with all this?
I'm going to trace these ground wires from the S4 and see if I come up with anything, but the S4 connector looked fine to me. Very slightly corroded, but nothing unusual. I slathered it with oxguard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200624_095425679_1593008481570.jpg (74.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200624_095419228_1593008514007.jpg (70.5 KB, 5 views)

post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I also went ahead and oxguarded like 5 other spiders, too. Can't remember the numbers, but I know one was 6 (under left front panel.
And 2,3,and 5 I'm pretty sure.
They all looked brand new. No corrosion and certainly no signs of heat.
I'm a tad confused.
Bike is completely back to normal with everything working.
It's funny how when I disconnected s4 it did exactly what it did before, plus the fuel gauge blinked for a bit.
But unfortunately, I guess that doesn't really tell me anything.
Any advice would be appreciated.
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Pretty sure no one would power heated grips from the S4, but who knows with folks today.

Below is link to the recall, so see if is the same as what you see running towards the battery.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...1V338-2345.pdf

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
Pretty sure no one would power heated grips from the S4, but who knows with folks today.

Below is link to the recall, so see if is the same as what you see running towards the battery.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...1V338-2345.pdf
That was very helpful and informative. The recall has, in fact, been done. And it's just like what's described in that bulletin.
I'm going to inspect and oxguard these grounds as well. Thank you.
It also looks like they ran the heated grips straight to the battery with a fuse, too, so that's good.
Guess I need to find these remaining spiders.
I also cleaned up and gooped the main ground bolt on the engine just because I saw it. It was actually more corroded than I expected.
Thanks again.
post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So I've cleaned and gooped all but 7 and 8.
Apparently they're behind the headlight adjusters? Hopefully they're easy to get to by just pulling the plastic panels at the adjustment knobs?
I also cleaned up the new recall connectors. Haven't found anything unusual or burned yet.

Trying to decide if I want to solder. Ugh.
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

New to FJR, couple of questions......

Quote:
That was very helpful and informative. The recall has, in fact, been done. And it's just like what's described in that bulletin.
I'm going to inspect and oxguard these grounds as well. Thank you. I also cleaned up and gooped the main ground bolt on the engine just because I saw it. It was actually more corroded than I expected. Thanks again.
KilgoreTrout,

Yep, good plan. Having pristine spiders won't mean much if the spiders are not solidly grounded to the bike. (Ground wires each have two ends. ) Beyond that, adding a second ground wire to parallel the original ground wire, anywhere/anytime, has never hurt my feelings.

Good catch.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 02:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Looks like S4 has had the recall.... a good thing, it was robust, but didn't address the next loaded one, S6. IIRC, removal of side fairing to get up under/behind the upper fairing is easier as they may not exactly be behind the headlight adjusters.... been a while since I've been there..... rbentnail to the white courtesy phone maybe?
What you can do is try to determine if the terminals are actually making good contact, perhaps gently squeezing them so they grab onto the pins better? Contact paste the right idea too.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Looks like S4 has had the recall.... a good thing, it was robust, but didn't address the next loaded one, S6. IIRC, removal of side fairing to get up under/behind the upper fairing is easier as they may not exactly be behind the headlight adjusters.... been a while since I've been there..... rbentnail to the white courtesy phone maybe?
What you can do is try to determine if the terminals are actually making good contact, perhaps gently squeezing them so they grab onto the pins better? Contact paste the right idea too.
I got to S7 through the top and underneath and cleaned/gooped it. It's really up under there! It looked totally clean like the others.
Then I got sidetracked with working on my car. I'm hoping S8 isn't quite as deep as 7. Should be able to finish this up tonight (hopefully)
I did notice that someone did SOMETHING with the left headlight wiring. There are tags on 2 wires and spade connectors. I gooped and sealed them, too.

Also discovered that someone lost the nut on the fuel tank pivot bolt. The bolt was backed out.
And I found an allen wrench on the heat shield. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page