Hello all!!! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hello all!!!

Hello all... I have been riding for 6 years now. I'm only 32.... but after about maybe a few months I quickly outgrew my Honda Shadow 650. Being 6'3 240, it's very easy to out grow that.. but either way, once I gained my confidence and skills in riding, naturally you start looking for your 'dream' bike. It has ALWAYS BEEN THE FJR!!!! The perfect mix between sport and touring. I've Done multiple trips from NJ to the Carolinas, Blue Ridge Parkway, Nova Scotia and New Foundland. All on believe it or not a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1100... BUT.. I told my local dealership that I was looking for a FJR. Ironically, within a week I received a call and they had a 2016 FJR1300A with only 1500 miles on it!! I think it still had the original oil. Mint condition, classic Yamaha blue. I bought it early this May and since then have logged maybe 1300 1400 miles on it.

EVERYTHING about it i love. Especially coming from an outdated ZRX (which i still love)... literally the only issue... and its slight, is the stock seat that comes on the bike. I usually wear vinyl riding pants, occasionally jeans if the weather breaks 80+ and all i can do is about 100 miles and my tailbone just goes NUMB. Thankfully being 32 I can 'muscle' through it and keep on trekking. I ride with my dad who has a Triumph 1300 (i think) Tiger. Beautiful machine... but I'm not an off road guy. But because of his sitting position he can ride all day without issue.

Any suggestions on a seat? I also ride with my GF on the back, and we plan on doing a trip in July, Maybe the Dragon.... Maybe NY PA CT ETC (i live in NJ).. area and just camp and ride locally. I like the Russell and LAAM for obvious reasons... but 32 with a kid, those prices seem steep. I was lucky to even get the bike lol...I totally get the 'you get what you pay for' and I'm willing to pull the trigger if need be, but l wanted to through out one last life line before doing so. I get nervous buying expensive items online without the 'touch, feel' aspect of it. Any Ideas?

I've never tried airhawks or any seat pad... best seat pad I made was small throw pillow that was old. Just took 2 straps on put it on my seat... not the prettiest, but felt like a corbin to me!

well either way. Thank you for allowing me to join. I look forward to reading about the great trips and make shift accessories for our beloved FJR
Boomer59 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...-seat-fjr.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...-fjr1300a.html

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A

2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing ABS

2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
Rest In Peace!!!!!!!!

2005 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

1992 Honda ST1100

1996 Honda GL1500 Goldwing

1994 Kawasaki Voyager

1983 CB1000 Custom

1972 Kawasaki G4TR

Last edited by Red On Rockwell; 06-01-2020 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 12:18 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have used Russell Day Long saddles on several bikes over 30+ years. Great seats and highly recommended

Many like Laam Saddles.
dimmer likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Tlydecker, I have a Laam personally with no complaints, money wise it was basically the same as most other seats or maybe a bit less, all day comfy. You might want to check out the “for sale” section here as seats do come up for sale occasionally and basically anything is better than the stocker, you could basically cut a 2x4 and be better off imho (just kidding of course),,,,, Some are ok with the stocker though, But not me !

I would ask also that you add your location & bike info to your signature line as it will make things easier when you have a problem to diagnose things,,welcome !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A Russell passenger seat will cause your romance to get better, LOL. If you want an alternative, contact Terry at Terry Adcox seats, he's an hour out of Chattanooga, TN. He will build you a seat very similar for less money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180921_184849.jpg (212.4 KB, 7 views)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you everyone!

I use the mobile version of the forum and having a tough time changing my signature to passx request... any thoughts?

Russell seems to be the go to seat but I cant justify the price when the laam or Terry adcox seat is 2/3 in price.

Last I bought the givi sra2019. Based on the pics and description I thought I was getting the subframe mount and the mounting plate.... well I just got the mounting plate. Do I still need the stuff arm bracket under the seat or will the plate due?... when I say make due. Maybe 10 to 20 lbs of gear plus a passenger
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Givi sr357 is the kit you need.

Take a look at the Yamaha Comfort seat. I like it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Welcome from Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlydecker27 View Post
Hello all.... Thank you for allowing me to join. I look forward to reading about the great trips and make shift accessories for our beloved FJR

Welcome! Glad to have you and I hope the FJR is everything you want it to be. I remember traveling through Bergen County, NJ, quite often in the late 90's and thought it all beautiful scenery!

Send some pics, if you can, when you are riding out there! We have great curves here in Chicago but we call them on-off ramps! :--)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the forum. I live in northern NJ and have a ‘16 with a Laam seat. You are welcome to borrow the Laam seat for a day to try it out. I also have a Helibar Bridge for a more upright riding position so you can sit on the bike and see if bar risers would help. I am 6’ and the seat and bar risers have made big mile days very comfortable. Highway pegs have also helped a lot.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome to the forum from central NJ. Three words to say, "Russell Day Long". It was on my '06 when i bought it used from a guy in Pittstown, NJ. Mines leather, with the leather pillion, and the backrest. Awesome seat. I do trips up to NH several times a year. Never an issue.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page