Hello all!!! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you everyone... fjr_chicago... I loved Chicago... 6 years ago my friend and I biked (lance Armstrong style) from philly to chicago... 900 and some long miles... haven't rode a bicycle since lol.

And I would love to try the LAAM! If possible I live in the wayne area. Small town of Pequannock. I like the helibars. But I've been reading you may have to change the cables and brake links? Seems like a major job?

2016 FJR1300A
Pequannock, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Also, I called seth laam. I bought the bike 3 weeks ago and needed 3 long weekend rides to really test the bike out raw. Add nothing and just see how it rides and feels. And naturally first thought was higher bars and upgraded seat! Seth is backed up for a.min of 6 weeks so I may be out of luck this year. I have my vacation for the week of july 17th so I may not have a seat in time. Any other ideas?

2016 FJR1300A
Pequannock, NJ
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Tlydecker, I'm also in central, western Jersey. I have the Helibar, RDL seat setup if you want to get the feel of what that is like. I'll PM you. The seat is probably one of the most expensive upgrades, and my words of wisdom are: only buy once. Make your choice and save for that choice. If you ride with a passenger, then a top case is needed for a backrest. If you get a top case for a backrest, then you need the upgraded metal grab bars from Yamaha or Givi, and probably a 'stiffy' kit, and on and on..... Where does it end! LOL

In your User CP, your PM is turned off. I cant send you a private message until you allow PM.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well you are in luck as we are practically neighbors. I live one town over in the Pine Brook section of Montville. When you get the Private Messaging setup, drop me a note and I will send you my cell number. Text is the best way to reach me.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:10 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Good to see someone buy an FJR, and join the forum who isn't also an AARP member!
This forum could use an infusion of younger blood.
Post a WTB message for whatever you're looking for. There's a good chance someone has one!
Welcome!
Boomer59

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:30 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a 11 year old leather Bill Mayer seat. Great seat and can ride all day in comfort, but when the weather gets hot, I add a beaded seat cover - keeps everything dry and cooler. And welcome!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 01:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlydecker27 View Post
BUT.. I told my local dealership that I was looking for a FJR. Ironically, within a week I received a call and they had a 2016 FJR1300A with only 1500 miles on it!! I think it still had the original oil. Mint condition, classic Yamaha blue. I bought it early this May and since then have logged maybe 1300 1400 miles on it.

Almost sounds like me. May 2014, after I retired, I hit one of the local Yamaha shops. They had a pretty, blue 2012 demo that I could have gotten a pretty good deal on, and a couple of red (the fastest color) 2014As being prepped. Told the owner that I like the blue, but I really wanted cruise control.

"Oh? Come look at this." Over in the corner, he had a 2013 that he was selling for someone else, tagged at $4k below list. It even had an MCL riser plate on it. "Now, look at this." He toggles the info display to "ODO", 630 miles.

After he prepped and checked it out, he even delivered it to my house 20 miles away. Maiden voyage three months later, 2700 miles, an ST rally in Spearfish, SD. Great trip. Well, the violent thunderstorm in Kansas was pretty bad, and the hailstorm (fortunately only pea sized) wasn't much fun either. Replaced the stock windshield with a Yamaha Touring Windshield, 4" higher and 1" wider. Works, perhaps not great, but well enough. Decided the seat was . . . OK.

2015, another trip to Spearfish. 4200 miles this time. Took a short detour to Idaho. This time I decided, "That seat has to go." Decided on an inexpensive SeatConcepts rider seat. Special group buy, 30% discount. At the time, they didn't have a passenger seat, but because I am a solo rider, that wasn't a problem. It's not an RDL or Laam, but it is a good 400 to 500 mile-a-day seat. OTOH, because carrying a passenger is important for you, I doubt if my solution would work for you.

So, anyway, I have the three major ergo mods, handlebar risers, larger windshield, and custom (sort of) seat. All were tested on a 6000 mile trip in 2016. Everything worked, well, good enough.
passx likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ha I guess I'm a younger member. But an old soul. Listen. All the sport bikes are cool I get the vibe. But if I ride on a saturday I ride a min. 100 miles. Not trying to be this hoo ra look at me I can ride kinda person. But if I'm going to ride. I enjoy riding the entire day.

Every year we plan a trip somewhere. Usually it's a 100 to 2k trip. So rockets are out of the question. I like the looks of the adventure bikes, but I'm not an off road guy so what's the point?

Harleys are outdated. It's an old culture and for the most part I get the impression people who ride harleys never road any other style bike before.. I'm totally stereotyping but most guys I talk to say they bought one and always have stuck with one since... I'm 32 not 62. No need for cruisers yet. Fjr is a perfect mix in my opinion of being able to strip it down. Through it in sport mode and have a great time in the twisties. And gear up. Turn your mode on and callus your rear end up.

Most importantly thank you for all the helpful and useful information you guys are sharing

2016 FJR1300A
Pequannock, NJ
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

*tour mode

2016 FJR1300A
Pequannock, NJ
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:59 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Welcome!

I am still working on the seat decision, have probably one of each at this point and working out decisions for the wife at the same time. It has been nice to mix n match the different seats for her and I. I am a big guy and came from a Goldwing so I have a set of bar risers pending install as well as highway pegs. My FJR came with a CeeBailey and it has been ok as I feel there is no pocket for me up or down. I have others to test out as well but again pending install. To many other darn projects getting in the way. Oh, I have been working on passenger floorboards as well and my last attempt was not completed as I was not able to get the boards to lock into the up position. Since, I have read somewhere on here that Goldwing floorboards can work with the lowering brackets for the passenger. I also added those lowering pegs for me when I first purchased the bike.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you got any ?'s be glad to assist with anything I have learned along the way.

2014 FJR1300 Metallic Red
2005 Goldwing- sold
2003 Goldwing- sold
2005 Shadow- sold
2006 Burgman 650- sold
1998 ST1100-Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page