FZ-1 Owner (always will be) coming in. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

FZ-1 Owner (always will be) coming in.

Just bought a new 2018 A model this past week. LOVING it! My FZ-1 will never go anywhere but I am excited to have a traveler! Anything to watch out for a 2 year brand new bike? Dry clutch??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome. Like you I have multiple bikes. I need to update my signature. I just traded the Superduke GT for a 2020 Ninja 1000SX.

I bought a leftover 2017 FJR about 17 months ago that had been sitting for about a year and a half. I rode it out of the dealership and 250 miles home. Zero issues.

We have a great group of folks on this forum. Many of us are seasoned riders. In other words, we are old and have a lot of riding experience. We also have several folks who are very technical in nature and can offer great advice on all things FJR, and motorcycles and motorcycling in general.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:27 AM
FJR Top Gun

2018A owner here also. Coming upon second birthday and 30K miles. No issues yet.

Also 2 time FZ-1 owner. 04 which I sold to my son and then an 01 to replace it so we both had FZ-1's. Loved those gen 1 FZ-1's.

justacrossthehill likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:01 AM
FJR Top Gun

The dry clutch problem seems to have dried up.

It was not as wide spread as some believe and seems to have been models prior than 2014.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

welcome to the forum flys low. FZ1s are awesome bikes, I toured on a 2001 and then a 2008, from 2002 to 2015, then got distracted by a 2 year fling with a VFR1200 (nice bike, but ruined completely for touring by dismal range) and then found my way back to Yamaha with the FJR. To me the FJR is just a grown up FZ1, just a bit better in every respect other than a bit of extra weight. The only particular thing I can think of to check on a new bike is the head bearing torque...it seems like a lot of them either come a bit on the loose side, or they settle in and become quite noticeably loose. Enjoy your new machine!
passx likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

2008 fz1, contrary to many FZ1 fans, I actually preferred the Gen 2 bike over the Gen 1(not that the Gen 1 wasn’t a great bike also).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03A65308-FC78-4E77-BC4C-015E5DBAD598.jpg (304.6 KB, 10 views)

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

Last edited by Yammieboy; 05-31-2020 at 11:38 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

FZ-1's are awesome bikes indeed. Had a 2001 I was never going to part with. But Wife Inc decided to ride as passenger again, so sold the FZ to get FJR for week / weekend trips together.
Now almost a year later, she wants her own R3 or Ninja 400. So will begin the search for another Gen 1 FZ-1 to add back to the herd.
flys low likes this.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I love my Gen 2 I have NEVER had a problem with it. Until now, It needs a new camshaft. Could be worse and I will do it. She is down on power on the top end. When I did the valves last time I measured the cam and it was under spec several thou. Now it wont top out in 6th (140 on a track of course). I think she is not breathing as well as she wants too. CAM TIME.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I presently have a Gen 2 FZ1 which I'm very happy with. Prolly the only one with BST carbon wheels. Spent a ton of money on it to make it very unique. Had an original 01 which was an excellent ride also. Just sold my Gen 3 MT to get my FJR.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My buddy has a 1st gen FZ1 that is the reason I bought my fjr, quite an incredible bike and seems to do everything well... to bad that Yamaha quit making them, great bike.

As far as things to check on your newly acquired Fjr, as yammieboy suggested above check the headbearing torque and I would also go over the bike and check torques. I would also flush the clutch and brake system along with a abs activation. Fresh oil in the engine and the differential and I think you’re good for awhile.

On the “dry” clutch thing, if when You’re going down the road and pull the clutch in to shift, watch the tach and if the rpm drops relatively quickly then the clutch is good, if it hangs for some time and shifts hard then it will probably need cleaning and a soak, it’s probably fine though.
flys low likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page