• 1 Post By 2GENAE
  • 1 Post By jbwelder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
New member from the PNW

Hello to the Community!
I have owned a 2008 AE for the past 6 years and it has been bullet / hail proof with no problems. I currently have a SH__22 code showing for the foot clutch and am looking for some help.
I recently had the tires changed out and a new rear shock absorber installed.
I own the tech manual and as of yet have not found any wire continuity issues as I troubleshoot following the guide. I did buy a replacement foot shift sensor but it read the same ohms reading as my current one (tech manual calls for 4-6k ohms but both test at 2.46-2.51 ohms??)
Have cleared the codes in diagnostic mode, but returns immediately when turned on. Paddle shifter works just fine.
Battery is newer with normal amperage.
Any help would be appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll let the AE guys chime in, but perhaps unplug and re-plug the connectors to ensure fresher connection, and lube the shift linkage points.
2GENAE and hANNAbONE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

Grand Kids are here I will look up the codes and talk to Dan, he figured out how to adjust the YCCS clutch setting and write to the EEPROM (typo in FSM on how to) and showed me what to do. I will PM you Monday. If no codes when paddle shift only, might be what Ray posted need to check the sensor plugs again for corrosion clean and check foot linkage.
Louis

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thank you.
All joints have been lubricated since I was in there and will get to the one connection buried in the harness to check.
2GENAE likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwelder View Post
Thank you.
All joints have been lubricated since I was in there and will get to the one connection buried in the harness to check.
When you only use paddle to shift does it throw a code????

SH__ 22 SYMPTOM............................. Output signal of foot switch is ABNORMAL

MALFUNCTION DETECTING CONDITION. Output signal of FOOT SHIFT SWITCH is BELOW 0.9 V DC OR above 4.1 v DC

I see you have checked original and the new one in Ohms. CHECK them in DC VOLTS.

Did you select SH-61 in Diagnostic Mode To confirm ALL the Default code numbers? Then select SH-62 ( press front brake lever and ON/OFF Paddle Shift button AT THE SAME TIME ) each time this moves the The fault Code by ONE Number) in Diagnostic Mode SH-62 to Delete/erase ALL codes to start over and use paddle shift for a ride and see if a code is thrown. Use ON/OFF switch on handle bar to erase. Turn OFF key.

Then if you have checked the Foot Shift Switch and it is in the DC VOLT specs, ride again and ONLY use foot shift look for a new or same code.
Louis
rbentnail likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Will check. Thanks for the info.
I need to hook up the electrical from the continuity checks
2GENAE likes this.

JARED

2008 AE 45k miles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 07:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Will check. Thanks for the info.
I need to hook up the electrical from the continuity checks
PM Rayzerman he has made jumper cables with pig tales with a on/off switch for the ABS to accurate the ABS to flush the block of old fluid unless you have done "Panic" stops that will make the brake lever/foot vibrate.

I purchased two, the other one is connected to the plug for the YCCS that you would use a clip to jump the two pins and drilled a hole in glove box so I can adjust the clutch RPM engagement.

The other is for the ABS and is connected and tucked under the tank so when it's time to service I don't have to use a clip to jump the pins.

I also scanned/printed the pages from my 2008 AE FSM Section 8 pages 170/180 it has the how to and all the YCCS codes and symptom and causes info and have it in my side bags.

ALSO do NOT try to adjust the YCCS RPM clutch engagement until you PM me the FSM has a typo that keeps you from writing to the EEPROM.

Dan finally figured the misprint, so glad I have a friend that has owned 4 different FJR in the last 15 years. We use to ride FJ100/1200 together before the FJR.

Trying to "Pay It Forward" by helping other AE owners as I know the feeling of being on the side of the road with the SHIFT light on and the clutch will NOT release and the trans stuck in the last gear you were in.

That was ME the first week of owning a AE after decades of riding a normal motorcycle. Old dog a new trick MY 2008 has 52,000 miles now the last 8,000 trouble free LOVE the YCCS in traffic now my arthritis is getting worse in my hands now or I would have a RED 2014 Gen III.

Hope this helps.

Louis

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
DC volts are 4.93 but tech manual says it should be 2.4-2.6V?? Seems like my ohms and volts numbers are backwards from the tech manual.

Sh_ _22 shows up when turned to the ON position.
In diagnostic mode, I get D:61 00 and then D:62 0 and cycle the on off switch to clear. I never see SH codes in diagnostic mode. Not sure if I am going about it wrong. Using the brake hand lever and paddle shifter on off switch does nothing.

Trying to avoid going to the dealership as electrical is a tough one.

JARED

2008 AE 45k miles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Fortunately the paddle shifters work just fine!
Have not had any ABS issues or panic stops either. Ive never had a problem with the bike till now😤
Just do not want to have anything happen in SD later in the summer and Im stuck on an adventure with the wife!

JARED

2008 AE 45k miles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Fortunately the paddle shifters work just fine!
Have not had any ABS issues or panic stops either. Ive never had a problem with the bike till now😤
Just do not want to have anything happen in SD later in the summer and Im stuck on an adventure with the wife!
Dan is out of town when he returns I will have him read this thread and see what he thinks. Until then read Section 8 page 170 to 180.

I am having a eye issue and getting migraines hard to concentrate. The last time I messed with this was 9 months ago. As I said Dan is the electrical pro vs me.

Don't use the foot shiftier until I talk to Dan and my migraine is better I will read about D61 etc.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page