Obligatory new owner post - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Obligatory new owner post

Hi all,

After researching and hunting for the past 6 months I've pulled the trigger on purchasing a new*** 2019 FJR1300ES. Heavily asterisked as this is a demo bike, but it's in as new condition aside from the near 7,000 KM (I think this was a 'sales manager' demo).

Pretty fantastic forum here, looks like lots of activity and information available so I'm excited to get tinkering with the bike.

Couple questions I have right off the bat, and I'm not sure which subforum is best to post them so I'll toss them out here and feel free to direct me to the best place for them
  • The dealer mentioned the tires are cupping. It's not bad yet, and they have 85% tread left - but they did order new tires for it before I purchased it. I have the option to take these new tires on it for $500, or I can take the as is tires and replace them on my own accord at a later date (priced out to ~$625). My main question is whether riding on mildly cupped tires is a safety issue, I hate the idea of scrapping an 85% tire
  • I've seen a lot of windshield replacements. Someone is selling a "rifle" +3" windshield locally - I don't see much mention of those around here. Any good?
  • What gen is a 2019? Gen 4? 5? And does anyone know if it has a factory helmet lock?
  • I live in Vancouver, BC and it's not exactly warm out right now. I'm hoping to build a garage this year but until then the bike will have to stay outside. Planning on buying a Dowco Guardian before I take possession... any thoughts here as to how to best protect the bike?
  • Any other suggestions before I take possession, or any mods I should do right away?

Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
All tires will scallop for the rest of your FJR life, not a safety problem, $500 sounds high. Check when warranty start date is? It should be when you buy it.
Windshield, many like VStream of Yamaha touring, not familiar with Rifle
As for Gen, 2019 would be a Gen3+ or Gen4 as some go by.
That cover is good in my opinion.
Seat will be a consideration to upgrade as would handlebar risers if you do not like the lean forward. You need to get and ride before you start farkling. Things get expensive. Make sure you really want it first.
philharmonic and N4HHE like this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

suhweet...that owner/manager musta loved it putting on that many miles.

so you go by "Terd", is that right???
philharmonic and vzhq16 like this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...

Last edited by hANNAbONE; 02-22-2020 at 03:58 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
suhweet...that owneer/manager musta loved it putting on that many miles.

so you go by "Terd", is that right???
Haha it's a reference to an old SNL skit:

I should clarify, it's 7,000 KM so approx 4,300 miles. Still high for a demo though - I imagine a manager/owner took it for a trip or three.

Quote:
All tires will scallop for the rest of your FJR life, not a safety problem, $500 sounds high. Check when warranty start date is? It should be when you buy it.
Windshield, many like VStream of Yamaha touring, not familiar with Rifle
As for Gen, 2019 would be a Gen3+ or Gen4 as some go by.
That cover is good in my opinion.
Seat will be a consideration to upgrade as would handlebar risers if you do not like the lean forward. You need to get and ride before you start farkling. Things get expensive. Make sure you really want it first.
I should also clarify here - $500 CAD, so about $380 USD. I've taken it for two test rides and didn't notice anything wrong with the tires in either ride (and was specifically looking for it on the 2nd ride). Granted it's not a bike I'm used to, but based on feel alone I think the tires are fine. Had never heard of scalloping/cupping before this though so that part is all new to me.

Farkling does seem to be expensive, seat seems like a good place to start as I have a bad back so I'll keep an eye out for those.

Thanks!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The tires are the original BT-023's most likely, if I were changing them I'd go with a different tire (read up on tire threads). I'd say keep the BT-023's until you wear them out. I'd suggest 40 psi front, 42 rear.

If you haven't taken delivery, see if they will retorque your steering head bearings if it has not already been done at the 1,000 km service.

Rifle does not make a windshield for Gen3/3+/4.. or whatever you want to call it. Gen3+/4 were 2016 and later.
Little Joe, passx, N4HHE and 1 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yep, rifle makes a great shield, but they quit on the FJR in 2012 (Gen 2) for some inexplicable reason. Gen 3 starts in 2013.
4300 miles and sold as "new" ? Hope you got a great deal.
I have that Dowco guardian - its a great cover ! Little big when rolled up - it will dang near fill a side case !
Dealer probably ordered BT023 tires - dont do it unless he is throwing them into the deal ( which he should be doing ). The front BT023 gets no respect and doesnt deserve any ! Rear is tolerated.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yes I assume they're still the original tires. They ordered Michelin Road 5's, which is what I used to compare price to as well for consistency. The new tires were included in the deal but after realizing there was so much life left on the old ones I got them to take $500 off if I pass on the new ones.

Good to know on the Rifle, thanks for saving me a couple hundred $ there.

Quote:
4300 miles and sold as "new" ? Hope you got a great deal.
I hope so too! I paid $15,500 CAD. New 2019's are going for $18,000 plus freight & PDI = ~$18,930 so I saved about $3,400 CAD ($3,800 including tax). I think it was a pretty good deal but I could be wrong.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:25 PM
FJR Top Gun

If you must obsess with “generation” then your 2019 is a “gen 3” with factory LED headlights. The changes since 2013 are incremental bolt-on which a motivated owner could perform. A very motivated owner might perform a transmission transplant, but still no fundamental generational change. much the same as changing color year to year.

No motorcycle tires cup. You have seen a car or truck with busted shock, wheel bouncing? That is a tire being cupped. A big dish wears in the tread spanning multiple tread blocks. One or more “cups” will appear around the tire.

Feathering is a form of scalloping caused by tread scrubbing. Tread blocks flex when stressed resulting in different wear across the block in the tread pattern.

The rolling diameter is mostly the same across a “square” car tire, but continuously changing across rounded motorcycle tire. When upright the rolling diameter from left to right of the contact patch isn’t greatly different but the difference is much greater when leaned into a turn. Different rolling diameter in contact with the road moves at different speeds yet the road moves at the same speed. Part of the contact latch must scrub, this results in scalloping. Tire construction and tread patterns have some effect but ultimately it’s going to occur and nothing you can do about it short of driving a car.

One could argue that once a motorcycle tire has scalloped it has finally “broken in” and taken its natural shape for contact with the road.

I find the claim of 85% remaining on OE BT23 tires with 4300 miles is extremely optimistic. Few get much more than 6000 miles out if the front tire. Is popular to belittle original equipment tires. I thought they were fine but for the front wearing too fast. The rear was still very good at 10,000. Par with the wear life of a PR4GT. myself and many others get longer life from rear tire than front. I use about 5 fronts to 4 rears. A saved rear tire is perhaps $200 saved..

If $380 will get you a set of Michelin PR4GT, mounted, then take the deal. Better yet offer to pay now to have the tires mounted this summer.

Shop tires online if for nothing but education. Out the door price mounted on bike will be $100 to $150 per set for labor. Some dealers will match online tire prices. From what I’ve seen the dealer should be happy to order whatever tire you desire at comparable online prices. Dealer might be reluctant if they have other tires in stock.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Tires: I figured my stock BT-023s were about 50% gone when I swapped them at around 4000 miles for T30s, a much better behaved tire.I seem to be easier on tires than most here for some reason. I started with the "recommended" 36FR/42RR, but gradually worked up to 40FR/42RR. That is my "standard" pressure.

Mods: Wait until you have put on at least a 1000 miles before you start modding. Then fix what bothers you the most. Then repeat until you have no more problems. The three usual problem areas are windshield, seat, and handlebars in no particular order.

In my case, the previous owner had installed an MCL (now out of business) riser plate. That worked well enough for me that I have not reinstalled the stock riser. Shortly after I bought the bike, I took a medium length trip (2700 miles). discovered that the wind was beating me up constantly. When I got back, I ordered a Yamaha Touring Windshield. All time bargain, about $115 when I bought it in late 2014. I thought the stock seat was "OK" (for certain values of "OK") so I opted for the larger (4" taller and 1" wider) Yamaha windshield.

Next year, a somewhat longer trip (4100 miles). When I returned I decided, the seat needed to go. I have a better, but not great seat, now. Next year, a 6000 mile trip. I have the ergos pretty well dialed in for me. Other mods: canyon cages and sliders, aux electrical bus and internal USB power for GPS and SPOT, extra lighting, and a few other miscellaneous mods.

If you ride after dark much, I recommend 3M safety film on the back of the saddle bags:
https://www.realtimeindustries.com/f...ar-bag-decals/
I have the plain black ones, virtually invisible in daylight, really obvious after dark, and inexpensive.

Good luck, have fun.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 02-21-2020 at 11:49 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

Terd (snkr), Welcome to this forum! It's nice to see another person from BC in here! I have an '18 ES, so our bikes are identical (although mine might be a nicer colour ). If you don't mind sharing, perhaps a few words on what bike(s) you have ridden in the recent past?

There is a lot of great info, and a good variety of experiences and opinions, on all manner of farkles for the FJR. Likewise on tires, oil, basic and expert maintenance. There's no question that you won't get a good answer to.

With regard to your tire question, I can't help. I still have the original BT023's on my FJR (I haven't been able to ride it as much as I would like, so far). I have no complaints with them, but the FJR is so dramatically different from the GL1800 that I've ridden for 12 years, that I can't assess the FJR's tires - it's just so easy to ride a bike that is so much lighter and nimble and maneuverable and … etc.

As your in Vancouver, I foresee that you are going to spend a lot of time on Hwy 99 between Pemberton and Lillooet - the kind of road the FJR excels at!
passx likes this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page