New FJR owner in Australia. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Damir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calgary,AB,Canada
Posts: 695
Congrats, nice new FJR, +1 on "keep your Kawi" I am sure you wont get a lot $$ for it on the used market, and I am sure you'd miss it.

My '05 FJR used to put my fingers to sleep, my '17 FJR with Grip puppies no issues with vibrations at all.
DJC72 likes this.
Damir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
philharmonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Laurens, SC
Posts: 3,798
Just a thought on the FJR vibrations. Once when I was installing something on my FJR I had to remove a couple of engine mount bolts and they were LOOSE! So I loosened and retorqued ALL the engine mounting bolts and I felt like there was less vibration after that was done.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
philharmonic is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rolling Prairie, Ind
Posts: 2,675
My 14a was the worst vibrating fjr I’d experienced, just bad. Several things made a noticeable improvement,,, like Phil mentioned above I found a muffler mount that was loose so I went over the bike & retorqued everything, noticeable improvement. A careful throttle body sync made a small improvement, grip puppies helped as well.

The biggest improvement came with just adding miles , it just smoothed out by about 10k miles, I’ll add that I did a TBS every spring as well. Bar end weights did nothing for me but I ended up using a set of vibranator bar end weights that are a bit different than just normal weights and maybe made a slight difference,, maybe.

I’ll add that my bike still has the 3500-4500rpm “buzz” zone but but it is tolerable vs putting my hands to sleep originally,being that your bike is a 6spd should make that better unless you’re really getting after it.
DJC72 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 02-19-2020 at 08:06 AM.
passx is offline  
 
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
Just a thought on the FJR vibrations. Once when I was installing something on my FJR I had to remove a couple of engine mount bolts and they were LOOSE! So I loosened and retorqued ALL the engine mounting bolts and I felt like there was less vibration after that was done.


Thanks Phil, Iíll check over these. I have heard that a throttle body sync will also help but I would imagine that shouldnít be an issue with a near new FJR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72 is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
My 14a was the worst vibrating fjr Iíd experienced, just bad. Several things made a noticeable improvement,,, like Phil mentioned above I found a muffler mount that was loose so I went over the bike & retorqued everything, noticeable improvement. A careful throttle body sync made a small improvement, grip puppies helped as well.

The biggest improvement came with just adding miles , it just smoothed out by about 10k miles, Iíll add that I did a TBS every spring as well. Bar end weights did nothing for me but I ended up using a set of vibranator bar end weights that are a bit different than just normal weights and maybe made a slight difference,, maybe.

Iíll add that my bike still has the 3500-4500rpm ďbuzzĒ zone but but it is tolerable vs putting my hands to sleep originally,being that your bike is a 6spd should make that better unless youíre really getting after it.


Thanks for the advice passx. Just saw your post. The TBS seems to be something to keep in check. Grip Puppies will be coming soon. The buzz does put the hands to sleep. Helps to have cruise control though. Gives the right hand a bit of a rest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72 is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 6,486
I would keep the Kawi!!
As for the vibrations, there is going to be some. The Gen3/4 is throttle by wire so the strategy seems to be to use the least vacuum flow. One sync screw will be painted and screwed all the way in, intended to be the reference screw with all adjusted to that. If the rest can be adjusted, great. If you can't get it perfect, then back out the reference screw a very small amount and re-do your sync to get them all to match. Chances are the sync may not be perfect from the factory (TB's sync'd on a bench flow test from the supplier). Once sync'd, no reason it should really ever change much.

The totally anal will re-shim all the valve clearances to be the same on each of exhaust and intake, then re-sync... save that one for your first valve check.

If concerned about the engine mounts, the left side ones are fixed, the right side ones are on adjustable collars with pinch bolts (to accomodate any variation in frame width). There is a specific procedure to install them in the FSM, however most likely it is just fine from the factory. If you do want to retorque the engine mounts loosen the two sets on each side (highly recommended to use anti-seize compound on the bolts to prevent bi-metal corrosion, reduce torque since it's now a lubricated fastener), torque the left side first, then the right. There is one rear mount with a sleeve/pinch bolt, do that one too. However, I don't think one can completely cure the inherent vibes of an in-line four.

Some are more sensitive to vibes, thus the Grip Buddies or Grip Puppies. I prefer the Grip Buddies as they don't absorb water and conduct heat from the heated grips better. Available in regular or "lite" which are a little thinner if you have smaller hands.

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/home.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
RaYzerman is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 181
Garage
Welcome from the beautiful Pacific Northwest! It looks like the stock windshield, so if you plan on longer trips, that may be the first thing you change...then maybe the seat. Enjoy many miles/km to come!
DJC72 likes this.
mortenk is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I would keep the Kawi!!
As for the vibrations, there is going to be some. The Gen3/4 is throttle by wire so the strategy seems to be to use the least vacuum flow. One sync screw will be painted and screwed all the way in, intended to be the reference screw with all adjusted to that. If the rest can be adjusted, great. If you can't get it perfect, then back out the reference screw a very small amount and re-do your sync to get them all to match. Chances are the sync may not be perfect from the factory (TB's sync'd on a bench flow test from the supplier). Once sync'd, no reason it should really ever change much.

The totally anal will re-shim all the valve clearances to be the same on each of exhaust and intake, then re-sync... save that one for your first valve check.

If concerned about the engine mounts, the left side ones are fixed, the right side ones are on adjustable collars with pinch bolts (to accomodate any variation in frame width). There is a specific procedure to install them in the FSM, however most likely it is just fine from the factory. If you do want to retorque the engine mounts loosen the two sets on each side (highly recommended to use anti-seize compound on the bolts to prevent bi-metal corrosion, reduce torque since it's now a lubricated fastener), torque the left side first, then the right. There is one rear mount with a sleeve/pinch bolt, do that one too. However, I don't think one can completely cure the inherent vibes of an in-line four.

Some are more sensitive to vibes, thus the Grip Buddies or Grip Puppies. I prefer the Grip Buddies as they don't absorb water and conduct heat from the heated grips better. Available in regular or "lite" which are a little thinner if you have smaller hands.

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/home.html


Hi Rayzerman, wow some great advice there. Sounds like you are all over it. As the bike is still under warranty, I donít want to muck around with it too much just yet. It may be something to talk to the service team about.

As for the grips, I didnít realise that the puppies took on water but it make sense as they are foam. Are the buddies as good with the vibrations or are they more about increasing girth. They look good though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72 is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
Welcome from the beautiful Pacific Northwest! It looks like the stock windshield, so if you plan on longer trips, that may be the first thing you change...then maybe the seat. Enjoy many miles/km to come!


Thanks Mortenk, Because I am short, the shield is not so bad at the moment. The seat could be improved though. Iíve been looking and may get a comfort seat down the track. Height is an issue though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJC72 is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
jtdunc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 517
Garage
@DJC72

Those are some sexy bikes! Well done and welcome. As a US corporate attorney, I love working with my solicitor co-workers down under. Welcome mate!

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
jtdunc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome