New member - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hi everyone. Name is Mike. Just purchased a 2019 fjrA . Have been riding most of my life. This is my first Yamaha, previous bikes included BMWs, Hondas, and triumphs. Even a couple of Harleys. While Ive only managed a few hundred miles so far ( just 3 weeks ) Im much impressed with the bikes performance. This is primarily a touring bike for me. I do have a 2010 tiger 1050 I purchased new in 2011 in the garage that I still ride routinely locally as well as occasional day trips. Looking forward to learning more about this great machine from those who have more experience with it. Already in the planning stages for a trip out west in late spring of next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I had test rode a tiger before purchasing the FJR, my first Yamaha, and I'm glad I went with the FJR. For me, it was and still is the 'best bang for the buck' motorcycle out there. There isn't a day I'm out riding that she doesn't reward me with perfect reliability, do what I want when I want, get up and go, and just plain Zen feeling. My riding friends have all graduated to BMW's RT, but I LUV my feejer, and it has kept my wallet fatter. Both from the initial purchase and all these years after.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome Mike. I have a 2014 FJR with around 25000 miles, I doubt ill ever sell it. My friend stopped by on a Tiger last week & let me ride it, what a cool ride. The weight difference was really noticeable. I haven't ridden anything else since I bought the FJR, but now Im thinking of adding a Tiger to the garage for day trips & riding logging roads.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I gave up a 2017 triumph explorer for the fjr. Thought I would like the more upright seating position. the TEX was a comfortable bike but I just preferred the sportourer. Had a Honda st1300 a few years ago, great machine. I could never get use to that whine coming out of that engine. I do see a upgraded seat in the fjrs future and some tip over protection, as for the rest of the bike I have no complaints whatsoever. Look forward to the miles to come.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome aboard. Rode Hondas most of my riding days. This is my first Yamaha. So far it is a nice ride with more than enough power to fit my needs.

Enjoy.

2014 FJR1300A
1990 Honda Pacific Coast (traded 2017)
1982 Honda CX500 (sold before children)
1972 Honda CB500 (rode to CA twice)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hi, Travlr. Welcome to the forum.

Hey, jw. Around 125 hp at the rear wheel should be "adequate", even for a slightly porky FJR.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the forum. You can sell the Tiger. The FJR is a perfectly capable dual sport,

'14 FJR1300ES
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Welcome to the forum. You can sell the Tiger. The FJR is a perfectly capable dual sport,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWng5pEtgkg
I think Ill stick with the tiger for the off road stuff! Lol
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

I learned my lesson about going off road with the FJR trying to get to a primitive campsite. The road was slightly washed out & I wasn't very experienced. I managed to keep it upright, barely. Wont be doing that again, ever.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr_45 View Post
I gave up a 2017 triumph explorer for the fjr. Thought I would like the more upright seating position. the TEX was a comfortable bike but I just preferred the sportourer. Had a Honda st1300 a few years ago, great machine. I could never get use to that whine coming out of that engine. I do see a upgraded seat in the fjrs future and some tip over protection, as for the rest of the bike I have no complaints whatsoever. Look forward to the miles to come.
i have not ridden an st1300, but the whine from my FJR is the one thing i could do without. Its never been explained to me just exactly what that noise is (sounds like an alternator whine) but ive been assured they all do it. The ST1300 was louder ?

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page