Adding an R to my FJ - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Adding an R to my FJ

Hello all. Mike here, I am a long time FJ owner. Original owner an 86 FJ1200. The best looking model . I 'm in process of purchasing a 2015 FJR1300A. Looks to be in very good condition with 17K. I'm holding on to the FJ, love that bike. What a reliable bike! Its only down when I want to mess with it. I hope to do a front end conversion, which will take me some time. With the second bike I can spend some quality time "working" on the FJ. I hate when its down, want to ride. I am a intermediate mechanic at best. I can do maintenance and bolt on stuff. I am member of the FJ forum, the best thing I ever did to enhance my FJ experience, more importantly the friends I have made.
My immediate concern with the FJR is, well, being a munchkin, I'm on tippy toes while at stop. I really need to lower this bike. I'll learn to search this site, I imagine there are post on this topic. I have seen lower kits on line. Appreciate if anyone can share some advice or positive results on lowering their FJR.
Happy to be here and look forward experiencing a bike built in this millennia.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Congrats and welcome Mike! Just ride it for a while. Even a 1/4" lower can make a big difference, ensure the seat is in the lower position, narrower at the front would be nice, and perhaps try lowering the front end 1/2" by moving the forks up in the triple clamps. That will make it handle more sportier, so be aware of that.
I'm not sure what seat you have, assuming stock, it needs help, on the cheap, you can remove the cover and flatten the hump out of it, and put the cover back on. Some tactical boots will help also.
Let us know how you progress.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Mike, fellow munchkin here too. You didn't say how much you need to go lower. A little? A lot?

Here's what I did to get it down 1/2". Front raised the fork tubes thru the top bridge/tree 3/8". Added Soupy's adjustable lowering links to the back and lowered 1/2" Bought waffle stomper boots with a large vibram soles. My next option would be to take 1/2" out of the seat, but I'm doing ok so far.

You can lower it more than 1/2 (up to 3" I think) using the adjustable links but you run into issues with the side and center stands being too long, and a lack of ground clearance in turns if you are aggressive and speed bumps even if you're not. You can buy an adjustable side stand or have your's chopped and lowered. Centerstand you'll have to chop and lower. It gets real hard to get the bike on the centerstand the lower your suspension is. One trick is you can back it up onto a board (therefore raising the bike) before deploying the centerstand.

Mess with one thing and you mess with several things.
RaYzerman likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. There's some low hanging fruit there, that I will try. I have not taken delivery on the bike. Should have by this time next week. I was considering ordering adjustable links so I would have them by the time I get the bike. But was concerned about performance issues. I'm not a hot dog, so may not be BIG concern. We'll see how long it takes me to get one with this this bike. If anyone else has tried the adjustable links I would love hear about that. The stand issues don't concern me too much. Solutions seem to be there for that. Pretty sure my seat is stock. When I looked at the bike I could not verify if it was in lower position (no key). I suspect it was, if not, my concern will be diminished. THANKS! I will update and and hope I can contribute to the group down the road.
Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:20 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

New Member Introductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Dimas Mike View Post
Hello all. Mike here, I am a long time FJ owner . . . My immediate concern with the FJR is, well, being a munchkin, I'm on tippy toes while at stop. I really need to lower this bike . . . Appreciate if anyone can share some advice or positive results on lowering their FJR.
Mike
Mike,

Welcome to the FJR sandbox! I own an FJ1100 myself.

I lowered my FJR, and it's fine by me. Be aware when crossing a speed bump or curb drop-off though, because the lowered bike could "bottom out" on the engine case. I go around speed bumps and curb drop-offs, if possible. You can have the side-stand shortened and re-welded for a nominal charge, if you lower the bike suspension. Here are a few ideas that I collected here:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/967681-post1.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1215889-post23.html

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum. You will find the FJR quite an upgrade. You will love the cruise control. I have never had to use the ABS for real in the five years I have owned the bike, but it is nice insurance.

On the other hand, all of those upgrades come at a price - primarily significantly more weight. On the other other hand, the FJR will quite happily live on the 85 octane gas you find Out West.

I am not, umm, inseam challenged so I am the wrong person to ask about lowering the bike.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 10-13-2019 at 12:52 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome to the FJR Forum, Mike.

I also added an R to FJ just over a year ago. I had an '86 FJ1200 from 1994 - 2005 and then a '92 FJ1200 from 2005 to 2019. That's 25 years and approximately 180,000 km of FJ riding experience. I bought my new-to-me '06 FJR last summer and just love it! I was hoping to keep the '92 FJ as well but ended up selling it this spring when I came to the realization that I don't have the time or money to ride, maintain, and insure two sport-touring motorcycles.

In response to your statement below, I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and although the FJR is a taller sitting machine than the FJ, I do not find it too tall. That being said, I make it a habit of stopping with 1 foot down only. 90% of the time that's left foot down with right foot on the rear brake (we call it the ready position). I do this even when I have the bike fully loaded with my wife on the back. Depending on the camber and/or condition of the road I may put my right foot down when it makes more sense to do so. I rarely stop with two feet down as that's when the tippy-toe game begins and the bike is actually less stable. Hopefully lowering the bike will help your situation but also please consider stopping with 1 foot down if you're not doing that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Dimas Mike View Post
being a munchkin, I'm on tippy toes while at stop.
Mike
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks again guys. Getting the tactical boots or something like that seems like a logical thing to do which I will. I also agree about normally just having one foot down at a stop. But there's times when using two feet to scoot around is required. If the boots Aren't Enough I'll look at lowering which I agree should be Last Resort. I looked at the other posts that were cited good stuff there thanks again. Looking forward to experiencing the FJR. BTW what's the gen1 gen2 thing about?

Mike
1986 FJ
2015 FJR
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In North America...
Gen 1 - 2003-2005
Gen 2 - 2006-2012
Gen 3 - 2013-2015
Gen 3.5 or 4 whatever you call it - 2016 up.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I picked the bike up today. Although been riding my whole life, and I'm old man, I was freakin a little about how this bike would feel. Too tall, too heavy etc. It was great, I immediately was comfortable riding the bike. Before hitting the freeway I tooled around low speed in the parking lot, practiced stops and then I was off. Cruise control was niiiice. I think I will do so something to lower it a little, probably adjustable links. BTW seat was in low position .We shall see. It was comical when this kid at the dealer was trying to show me the features. I knew more them him. He was trying adjust the windscreen with headlight adjustment knobs ha. Anyway so far so good. I almost felt a little guilty wheeling the FJ (my 86) into the back yard, I promised it I would get a cover. There's only room for one garage queen. Well time for a martini.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page